Confirmed Signing with Link: [CGY] Flames re-sign Mikael Backlund [6 years/$5.35M AAV]

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
When they're a top end defensive centre, yes. Backlund is similar to guys like Jordan Staal and Frans Nielsen (not going to argue who's better because I'm not interested in fanboy fights), both of whom make 5-6 million/year.

Which are good comparisons I think, but I also think they’re both overpaid.

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
According to Friedman, the Canucks were going to try and get him as an UFA this summer if it went that far. I don't really understand why...

Reactions: Dack

soliak

Mar 26, 2013
Straya
According to Friedman, the Canucks were going to try and get him as an UFA this summer if it went that far. I don't really understand why...

No chance he would of signed there anyway. Backlund hates the Canucks more than anyone else in the league.

Reactions: Bhurak

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Even Gaudreau stopped scoring.

There's some voodoo shit going on. Only people that I'm even attempting to evaluate are Andersson, Kulak, Foo, and Shore.

Everyone else gave up a month ago.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
People seem ecstatic with this deal. Is this market value now for a guy who tops out between 45-55 points?

Good 3Cs signing UFA year contracts make 4M minimum. Look at Bonino and Hanzal as recent UFAs. Even Pageau got 3.1M on a contract buying up only his remaining RFA years.

Backlund is a top defensive C, so there's bound to be a premium on his contract in comparison to other Cs of similar production.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
9 points in the last 28 games. -16 over that stretch

He hasn’t been great but you have to look at the team. Pretty much every single Flame boasts a career low shooting percentage this year, including Backlund. If that doesn’t scream coaching fail I don’t know what does.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
The past 15 games or so have been a complete write off for the Flames... not sure it is a strong reflection of his play down the stretch... The whole team has checked out.
Isnt it easier to put up points though when your team is eliminated from the playoffs? /s

Backlund is a good player and this contract is still good value despite his end to the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->