Confirmed Signing with Link: [CGY] Flames re-sign Mikael Backlund [6 years/$5.35M AAV]

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Yeah, not a steal really. Fair market value to me on the basis of 1M per 10 pts. Put up 53 pts last year, on pace for 48 this year.

That works for Sam Gagner not a guy like Backlund

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
Seems fair. Not sure its a huge deal as some are proclaiming. But it's a good, fair contract.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Good deal for Calgary. His #s may not be worth it every single year of the deal; but his all around game will. Would have happily seen Sakic give him that contract in the summer to come down to Denver.

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
Excellent deal. Very cap friendly. Anyone who watches the Flames and closely will realize how important Backlund is to the team. The numbers may not always show it, but he plays the toughest aspects of the game.

He constantly starts in the defensive zone, his ability to exit the defensive zone and enter the offensive zone is impressive, he shuts down top lines and forces them to play on the defensive zone which is super underrated in today’s game. He’s no slouch in the offensive end and is the team’s best penalty killer. Some may be critical of this deal, but he helps the team win in more ways than one. Neutralizing top players and forcing them to defend instead is winning hockey.

Last edited:

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I think that’s a great deal. Love Backlund.

Now give us Jankowski.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I think that’s a great deal. Love Backlund.

Now give us Jankowski.

Jankowski will get a bridge imo. I just hope we get Tkachuk long term on a reasonable deal.

Backlund brings everything Toews does, but at half the cost. Toews is slightly better offensively, but the old adage that Backlund is worth more to us than any other team rings true here.

Comparables:

CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
I thought best case scenario would be 5.5 for 5 so I'm very happy with this.

Very confident they'll get tkachuk for around 6 and then any cap increases will be free space for increasing depth. Should be able to get a great third line for next year

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
It’s a fair deal. One to many years, IMO, but probably wanted to keep the cap hit down. I call $4.9 before the cap increase, so it’s pretty relative.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Just read some of these comments haha. Backlund replaceable by next year?

I wish, that would be amazing

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4