Confirmed Trade: [CGY/EDM] James Neal for Milan Lucic (12.5% retained) and a 2020 conditional 3rd round pick Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
I really don’t like this for Calgary.

Both are bad contracts but I have much more faith in Neal’s ability to have some kind of rebound season than I would Lucic.

Further more even if neither player can recover into something useful at least the Oilers can buyout Neal versus the Lucic contract which is almost buyout proof because of the signing bonuses. And lastly because of his NMC the Flames would have to protect Lucic in the expansion draft.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
I'm very happy with this. Holland gets an A on the summer just for getting rid of Lucic.

We got the better player in return, dropped the NMC and only had to take on marginal retention/give up a low pick. Not to mention that the buyout on James Neal isn't toxic like Lucic's.
Neal’s buyout is a lot more palatable...wow.
Who gave Chooch that contract?

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Huge win for the Oilers to drop the Lucic contract but neither is a better player. Lateral move for both sides as far as what happens on the ice
Well Neal definitely has a higher chance of bouncing back. If Kassian can score 15 goals in ~40 games with Mcdavid/Draisaitl then Neal has potential for 20.

Even if he plays on the 2nd line with Nuge and puts up 15 goals + 35 points it's a huge win compared to what Lucic would have done for us.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Great deal for Edm. Neal has a much better chance at being a postive player than Lucic. Shot at a fluke percentage last year. If Neal gets back to his career shooting% he'll be a for sure 20 goal guy next season.

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
I really don’t like this for Calgary.

Both are bad contracts but I have much more faith in Neal’s ability to have some kind of rebound season than I would Lucic.

Further more even if neither player can recover into something useful at least the Oilers can buyout Neal versus the Lucic contract which is almost buyout proof because of the signing bonuses. And lastly because of his NMC the Flames would have to protect Lucic in the expansion draft.

Bolded isn't known at this time. We know the trade was delayed because Calgary was trying to work that out. Hasn't been released where they landed on that

RedBruin

Jul 4, 2010
Germany
I just don't think you can go from an NHL All-Star to "not an NHL player" in one year without some kind of major dehabilitating injury like an achilles tear or something in 12 months flat.

He had a bad season on a team he didn't mesh with. Lets see how he does with McDavid and Draisaitl.

That's a fair enough point but that's universes away from saying that anybody got fleeced.

Rockmorton

Oct 26, 2011
Lucic (12.5% Ret) + Conditional 3rd for Neal

Wish KH would've only retained 5%-7% but Neal is by far the better player so makes sense.
In all seriousness, I’d temper your expectations. If he doesn’t find his scoring touch, Lucic is the better player.

(And yes I know how bad Lucic is)

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
So, Lucic with a salary of $6.0M and a Cap Hit/AAV of $6.0M is traded with 12.5% retention, Edmonton would continue to pay 12.5% of the $6.0M salary ($0.750M) and would continue to have a cap hit of $0.750M (12.5%) of the $6.0M Cap Hit for the next 4 years.

Imo, Holland's experience won this deal. Neal has much more to give than Lucic. $0.750M for 4 years is worth it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Huge win for the Oilers to drop the Lucic contract but neither is a better player. Lateral move for both sides as far as what happens on the ice

Statistically that is false though. In each of the past two seasons Neal produced at a better PPG and GPG. Lucic was given plenty of McDavid, Draisaitl and RNH time over that period. Last year when he lost the opportunity to play with McDavid and Drai, and a spot on the top PP his production fell off even more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad