Confirmed Trade: [CGY/EDM] James Neal for Milan Lucic (12.5% retained) and a 2020 conditional 3rd round pick Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
Oilers walking away from this trade like

IEQ7.gif

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
So Looch will cost the Flames 5.25M per.

In cap hit. I believe since Lucic's 3M bonus was just paid, he was due 4M average over the next 4 years.

So now I guess it's 5.25M cap hit and 3.25M in actual money for the Flames?

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
So does this mean Lucic doesn’t have to be protected in the expansion draft as he waived to trade protection clause? If Calgary looses a protection spot because of him, that’s a huge loss.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
So does this mean Lucic doesn’t have to be protected in the expansion draft as he waived to trade protection clause? If Calgary looses a protection spot because of him, that’s a huge loss.
I don't believe so, I think he still has to be protected. I could be wrong though

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
Haven't read anything confirmed yet but supposedly that was the holdup from the trade being done when it was first rumoured earlier today. I'd imagine it was a huge sticking point for Calgary so interesting to see how that shakes loose

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
I'm very happy with this. Holland gets an A on the summer just for getting rid of Lucic.

We got the better player in return, dropped the NMC and only had to take on marginal retention/give up a low pick. Not to mention that the buyout on James Neal isn't toxic like Lucic's.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
I don't think those details are out yet. Apparently there was a holdup waiting on Lucic on something to do with the nmc so I'll assume it was to see if he would waive for expansion but idk

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Have the conditions been announced yet?

I’m guessing the conditions on the pick have to do with Neal’s point/goal totals?

Hopefully the 3rd can turn into a 2nd for calgary’s sake....

Definitely like this deal more for Edmonton, if only because Neal’s contract is easier to buy out.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Both aren't NHLers at this point anymore. Nobody got fleeced.

I just don't think you can go from an NHL All-Star to "not an NHL player" in one year without some kind of major dehabilitating injury like an achilles tear or something in 12 months flat.

He had a bad season on a team he didn't mesh with. Lets see how he does with McDavid and Draisaitl.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Pretty sure NMCs are retained after trades unless the player chooses not to keep it (which I doubt anyone would agree to). However, I still think he'd be willing to waive in the expansion draft especially if he has another poor year in Calgary. Seattle is so close to Vancouver and he's wanted to be closer to home in recent years.

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
I'm very happy with this. Holland gets an A on the summer just for getting rid of Lucic.

We got the better player in return, dropped the NMC and only had to take on marginal retention/give up a low pick. Not to mention that the buyout on James Neal isn't toxic like Lucic's.

Huge win for the Oilers to drop the Lucic contract but neither is a better player. Lateral move for both sides as far as what happens on the ice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad