Confirmed Trade: [CGY/CAR] Noah Hanifin and Elias Lindholm for Dougie Hamilton, Michael Ferland, and Adam Fox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017
I’ve been as big a supporter of Hanifin as there is, and I was around as a Whaler fan when they traded Pronger and know how painful it can be to give up a young d.

After watching him play, I’m not remotely seeing a Norris potential guy. It’s not just that he’s really struggling to follow the play in his own end, he isn’t poised with the puck as you would expect and his **** has been fairly non existent. He skates like the wind but he’s always been reminiscent of J-bo or Hedican. The skating can get him into all sorts of great positions but he doesn’t seem to make the big play in those moments.

I’m not surprised we gave up on him and traded him while the expectations are still high. As fans I don’t think we’re expecting Hanifin to reach the heights we expected in the beginning. I hope he does, honestly.

His defensive play is really rough. He doesn’t see where he’s supposed to be in the zone. Guys get behind him and get position very easily, and it isn’t a hustle thing. It may be a hickey iq thing.

hes what 20?

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Reading the expectations for Lindy and Hanifin the last couple pages, some of you are going to be more than a little disappointed in their play the coming years.

Reactions: Spazkat

SaskCanesFan

Feb 27, 2015
No, Waddell is trying to make this not about money when it clearly is, it's well known the Canes can't afford to keep their top players, which is why they are a candidate to be moved.

The Canes billionaire owner can't afford to keep players. That's billion with a B. And they're a candidate to be moved when there was literally a clause in the sale saying they can't be? What a load of horseshit

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Calgary didn’t seem to have a huge issue with Hamilton’s nerdiness affecting them before Mike Smith got hurt.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Everyone in the Boston locker room hated Hamilton, now talk was that he wasn't liked in the Calgary locker room either. Pretty obvious persistence that he is a bad teammate. Doesn't matter how good a player he is if his team doesn't like him.

Calgary wins by default.

I also see Canadian media trashing the trade saying Hanifin will never be as good as Hamilton. It's impressive how often Canadian hockey media is able to tell the future

Not fitting in with that Boston team seems like a positive. Do you want someone who gets along with Lucic and Marchand?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Calgary didn’t seem to have a huge issue with Hamilton’s nerdiness affecting them before Mike Smith got hurt.
A reliable Flames insider came out and said that the Flames have been trying to move Hamilton for almost two years.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Just turned 25, a 6'6 RHD who's had 40+ points for four straight seasons. He's the archetype of player that is very very hard to find, that teams love to build around, young, signed to a good contract, etc - and he's now been moved by two teams.

I'd be very curious to hear an uncensored description of what Hamilton is like as a person.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Calgary got a whole lot better by trading a top pair defensman, and a solid winger for 2 underperforming players on a team that has never made the playoffs in either players career???
Yes. Hamilton and ferland didn't help them make the playoffs

Next question

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I definitely agree with this, and I like the Jay-bo comparison. I think Hanifin can be a top pairing D, but I have always questioned what people see in him beyond his skating (which is absolutely elite). There's just no part of his game besides his skating that screams elite or even near elite for me.

Basically he has the same ceiling as Hamilton. Top pairing dman. Both have some issue but hanifin is much younger. Winning.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Apparently your memory does not go back further than one season of hockey.....
So you are a flames expert now?
Bt felt the flames have attitude issue. He needs to improve it by trading Hamilton. Ferland was a passenger on the top line . He is about to become a ufa. They don't want to pay him
That's good enough for me
They got 2 young players that are already good and still have some potential

Only haters would have problem with the deal

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
Ferland is not a top 6 player people.... Jesus... the flames RW depth was so bad that they stuck him on the top line and he got hot for 15 games or so....

He is 3rd liner with very little growth potential.

I really liked him and he was liked by most Flames fans too. I really don’t think the Flames will see any significant impact without him in the lineup.

Last edited:
Reactions: flamesforcup

CgyFlamesftw

Apr 28, 2009
Ferland is not a top 6 player people.... Jesus... the flames RW depth was so ba stray they stuck him on the top line and he got hot for 15 games or so....

He is 3rd liner with very little growth potential.

I really liked him and he was liked by most Flames fans too. I really don’t think the Flames will see any significant impact without him in the lineup.
This. Playing with gaudreau would inflate his stats.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
What with the way you have to pay young RFAs it will be more common to trade them now than before. I think the Canes would have kept Lindholm if they could have signed him to a deal they liked.

I don't know either of the Canes players very well. Is Lindholm a center? Seems like a bit of a strange trade except that Calgary had to give up some D-depth for some forwards, which I think they do here.

OakCity

Jun 24, 2018
So you dont think they slide Faulk over and run a Slavin-Hamilton Faulk-Pesce top 4?

I know the rumors have been out there about Faulk, I just didnt know if the trade adds to the fire or if it gives Carolina another offensive blueliner to help put up points.

I'd keep Pesce and Slavin together on the first pairing. You need them to stop other top lines, and they have proven up to the challenge.

Reactions: AD Skinner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad