Confirmed Trade: [CGY/CAR] Noah Hanifin and Elias Lindholm for Dougie Hamilton, Michael Ferland, and Adam Fox

Status
Not open for further replies.

OakCity

Jun 24, 2018
What with the way you have to pay young RFAs it will be more common to trade them now than before. I think the Canes would have kept Lindholm if they could have signed him to a deal they liked.

I don't know either of the Canes players very well. Is Lindholm a center? Seems like a bit of a strange trade except that Calgary had to give up some D-depth for some forwards, which I think they do here.

Elias was a thought at C, but they thought he was no better than Rask, so it was more useful to use him at wing. You can probably move him around, if need be.

Reactions: Harry Kakalovich

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
I'd keep Pesce and Slavin together on the first pairing. You need them to stop other top lines, and they have proven up to the challenge.
Do teams still do shutdown pairs though? It seems like a lot of teams are going to a more balanced approach where they try to have 1 offensive and 1 defensive player on each pairing.

The shutdown pair makes sense against teams like Boston where they have 1 elite line, but more balanced teams might require a more balanced approach.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Do teams still do shutdown pairs though? It seems like a lot of teams are going to a more balanced approach where they try to have 1 offensive and 1 defensive player on each pairing.

The shutdown pair makes sense against teams like Boston where they have 1 elite line, but more balanced teams might require a more balanced approach.

Slavin-Pesce
Fleury/UFA-Hamilton

Is more balanced than:

Slavin-Hamilton
Fleury/UFA-Pesce

JCLA

Feb 23, 2017
I was asking that assuming that Faulk stayed. If Faulk is traded then that makes perfect sense. But I was curious about the idea of Slavin-Hamilton Faulk-Pesce.

My opinion, and what I think most canes fans opinion, is that with the Hamilton acquisition, faulk isn't even penciled into next season. We are more expecting faulk gone than staying

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Off topic, but when Ryan Rishaug was discussing this trade with Craig Button, I noticed Button still pronounces Bouwmeester, "BooMeester".

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Flames fan here.

When I first heard about this trade I wasn't happy. I thought that Treliving overpaid for Hannifin and Lindholm.... particularly so when I heard that Fox was part of the deal. Even without Fox I thought we ended up with the short end of the stick.

But then... I heard that Fox's agent told Treliving that Fox wasn't interested in signing with Calgary.... so now I'm okay now with that part of the deal.

Then I heard that there were issues with Hamilton and the rest of his team mates. I knew that something was wrong with the team (other than coaching) but I didn't know what it was... Now it appears that Dougie was part of the problem (compete issues/personality issues) and the more I thought about how he played (always taking stupid bone headed penalties and coughing up the puck on multiple occasions due to stupid decisions - it really looked like his hockey IQ took too many days off) the more I'm okay with the trade. For someone who's supposed to be pretty smart he sure did some stupid things. We will however miss that awesome shot of his. The guy could really thread the needle with his shot.

So... looks like Peters is going to put the Giordano - Brodie pairing back together. I'm all for that. Enough with the Brodie LD experiment. It was a complete and utter failure. Brodie had his best years as Gio's line mate and I fully expect him to take up where he left off. It also sounds like Hannifin and Hamonic will be the 2nd defense pairing. Looks good to me.

As for Lindholm, Peters says he will be playing him on the RW with Sean Monahan as his center and Gaudreau as LW. Awesome! Lindholm has never played with as much talent as those two. Last year Gaudreau had 24 goals and 60 assists (84 pts) in 80 games. Monahan had 31 goals and 33 assists (64 pts) in 74 games and he played a good portion of the season injured! Some of you may not know this but when the season ended Mony had 4 surgeries! Yeah... that's right.. 4! Monahan had his left wrist reconstructed, he had procedures on both hips for hernias and surgery for an injured groin. I heard that by the time the season ended his left wrist was so bad that he could barely shoot the puck. Now that's grit. Lindholm will do just fine with Johnny Hockey and Mony as his line mates.

I'm happy with the trade.

Now if we can sign Martin Frk as a free agent, I'll be happy as a pig in shit. Calgary, last year, had serious issues with the lack of 3rd and 4th line scoring. I think signing Frk can help remediate that.
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Todd-Cordell/Martin-Frk-is-a-depth-option-worth-considering/202/93481

EDIT: I also want to point out that Ferland basically disappeared in the last 35 games of the season. He scored 21 goals and 20 assists in 77 games but in the last 35 games he only potted 2 goals and 5 assists. For a lot of games he was a ghost out there. Very frustrating, particularly since Monahan was playing injured for a lot of those games. Ferland just didn't step up when needed.

Last edited:

Remember2004

Oct 20, 2010
Only thing that I can recall with Hamilton having attitude issues was when Freddie was placed on waivers but other than that nothing. I guess reports are coming out now about it. But OT here would it have been better to have traded Hamilton for a 1 for 1 deal to get a player of equal calibre? (not sure who would be a comparable ROR?)

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
A reliable Flames insider came out and said that the Flames have been trying to move Hamilton for almost two years.
If this is true, it's even more telling to the points that I made, on two fronts.

1) Someone doesn't like him. Whether that's his teammates, front office or coaching staff.
2) Word spread to the rest of the league as well. As it shouldn't take that long to trade such an elite defenseman

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
Only thing that I can recall with Hamilton having attitude issues was when Freddie was placed on waivers but other than that nothing. I guess reports are coming out now about it. But OT here would it have been better to have traded Hamilton for a 1 for 1 deal to get a player of equal calibre? (not sure who would be a comparable ROR?)

I couldn't care less about not always wanting to go for drinks with the team and stuff, thats all hearsay as far as im concerbed.

but skipping out on exit interviews with managment and end of year media availability because he was mad the team waived his brother is what really rubs me the wrong way.

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
I couldn't care less about not always wanting to go for drinks with the team and stuff, thats all hearsay as far as im concerbed.

but skipping out on exit interviews with managment and end of year media availability because he was mad the team waived his brother is what really rubs me the wrong way.
You take all the evidence and piece it together, and you are only left with one logical conclusion. Dougie Hamilton is not a likeable person at least in the hockey world he has been a part of thus far. Teammates, coaches, front offices, whichever it was or all of the above, someone didn't like the guy in two organizations. Hopefully he grows, changes or finds something different with his third.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Flames fan here.

EDIT: I also want to point out that Ferland basically disappeared in the last 35 games of the season. He scored 21 goals and 20 assists in 77 games but in the last 35 games he only potted 2 goals and 5 assists. For a lot of games he was a ghost out there. Very frustrating, particularly since Monahan was playing injured for a lot of those games. Ferland just didn't step up when needed.

This has been what’s frustrated fans with Lindholm. Inconsistent. In years past, he’s sucked badly to start the season (brutal Octobers) and was a big contributor to the Canes being out of it early. This year he started off stronger and had 14 goals through January and then 2 the rest of the way. Lindy would show flashes of why he was drafted 5th OA, then disappear.

That said, I like him as a player and would have preferred to keep him given the Canes lack of C depth. He never really played with great talent so if he does in Calgary, I can see him being a 60+ point guy. On the PP, he fed Staal a ton, but Staal rarely finished. He’s got skill, is also good on the draw and can play in all situations. He’ll definitely help you guys IMO.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
This has been what’s frustrated fans with Lindholm. Inconsistent. In years past, he’s sucked badly to start the season (brutal Octobers) and was a big contributor to the Canes being out of it early. This year he started off stronger and had 14 goals through January and then 2 the rest of the way. Lindy would show flashes of why he was drafted 5th OA, then disappear.

That said, I like him as a player and would have preferred to keep him given the Canes lack of C depth. He never really played with great talent so if he does in Calgary, I can see him being a 60+ point guy. On the PP, he fed Staal a ton, but Staal rarely finished. He’s got skill, is also good on the draw and can play in all situations. He’ll definitely help you guys IMO.
I seem to find myself agreeing w/@Boom Boom Apathy more and more. Not sure what that's all about....:sarcasm:

But he speaks the truth about Lindholm on all accounts. He will do well with better linemates, but I still think he's better positioned in the middle. Time will tell, but I expect at least 50-55 points from him and 60-65 isn't out of the question.

Hanifin remains all potential at this point. Last season Canes fans saw some of the offensive upside early in the season, only to have it disappear. He also flashed some solid defense from time to time, but that part of his game is still a work in progress and it mostly needs to improve between his ears. His skating is elite however.

My guess is both of these guys improve over time, perhaps even reaching their potential. Meanwhile, I feel that Hurricanes fans will benefit from having Hamilton in their Top 4 right now and with the grit that Ferland brings. Fox remains an unknown.

Reactions: sheriff bart

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
A lot of Canes fans - me included - think he's better at C. But Bill Peters pretty much refused to play him there. I really wanted him to get a season under a new coach to see what he could do, but since he'll be playing for Peters again in Calgary I assume it'll be mostly at wing
If he plays wing on the top line he'll enjoy making center like plays to his sniper center, players don't care where they play as long as they're succeeding

Reactions: Wish You Were Here

sheriff bart

Where are the white women at
Nov 11, 2010
Rock Ridge
Still interested to see what the contracts end up being for Lindy and Hanifin. I have always thought Hanifin wanted to be in Boston, and doubt he wants to sign any deal beyond his first shot at being a UFA. Rumor is that they both want "elite player money". That is buying on speculation. I'd imagine that the Canes were looking at bridge deals for both, and neither one wanted that. I know that contradicts my Hanifin theory, but he probably wanted that money on a deal that expired as soon as he could be UFA.

What do I know? I'm just an internet GM

sheriff bart

Where are the white women at
Nov 11, 2010
Rock Ridge

I think he'd need a huge part of that 65 to be assists. He just doesn't have the quality shot to ring up a massive goal number. He's kind of a Swiss Army Knife type of player. Does most things ok. Does nothing great. I admit that I think he has been misused in Carolina (ironically by Peters) and maybe had more to give. We shall see.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
If this is true, it's even more telling to the points that I made, on two fronts.

1) Someone doesn't like him. Whether that's his teammates, front office or coaching staff.
2) Word spread to the rest of the league as well. As it shouldn't take that long to trade such an elite defenseman

I don't think there's any question the Flames treated Hamilton differently than an average player. They dealt for his brother and kept him around even though there was no real need for him. But Hamilton never seemed like a problem - other than that he didn't like hanging out with the team off the ice. I don't really see that as a huge issue as long as he performs well on the ice, which he did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad