Confirmed Trade: [CGY/CAR] Noah Hanifin and Elias Lindholm for Dougie Hamilton, Michael Ferland, and Adam Fox

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandybridge

Welcome Taylor
Jun 24, 2018
i like this trade for calgary. good job treliving.

This is a pretty even trade. They did get two very good to near-elite players (depending on further development). But they did give up a bona fide RHS 1D, and also threw in a high end prospect. Time will tell.

Bongsong

May 5, 2018
Flames have given up a total of six high draft picks including two first rounders for Hamilton and Hamonic...now Hamilton, Ferland and their best prospect Adam Fox are now gone. So for Hamonic, Lindholm and Hanifin, Flames have blown a massive hole in their future if they don't work out.

So 2 mid first plus 4 seconds got us 2 5th OA plus Hamonic it would cost that plus some to move from 13 to 5 OA. Ferland is worth a 2nd foxes rights are a 3rd so yo think 15th + 12th OA + 5 mid seconds and a 3rd can move you up 10 spots to 5th OA in one draft and up 7 spots to 5th OA in another draft.

So 15 + 45 + 47+ 52 to move 10 spots to 5th OA
And 12 + 43 + 48 + 75 to move 7 spots to 5th OA

Both highly unlikely but even if possible we still got Hamonic for free

I like all the players involved but with all the roumors going around on both sides you have to think somethin was up but I give it a win win with fresh starts for all involved

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
So 2 mid first plus 4 seconds got us 2 5th OA plus Hamonic it would cost that plus some to move from 13 to 5 OA. Ferland is worth a 2nd foxes rights are a 3rd so yo think 15th + 12th OA + 5 mid seconds and a 3rd can move you up 10 spots to 5th OA in one draft and up 7 spots to 5th OA in another draft.

So 15 + 45 + 47+ 52 to move 10 spots to 5th OA
And 12 + 43 + 48 + 75 to move 7 spots to 5th OA

Both highly unlikely but even if possible we still got Hamonic for free

I like all the players involved but with all the roumors going around on both sides you have to think somethin was up but I give it a win win with fresh starts for all involved

Always find these types of posts funny.

LOL Calgary traded six picks, including firsts for essentially:
Lindholm, Hanafin and Hamonic.

Well, yeah. Two top 4D one with tremendous upside; who is familiar with two of our best players and one top 6 RH centre/wing.

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
Everyone in the Boston locker room hated Hamilton, now talk was that he wasn't liked in the Calgary locker room either. Pretty obvious persistence that he is a bad teammate. Doesn't matter how good a player he is if his team doesn't like him.

Calgary wins by default.

I also see Canadian media trashing the trade saying Hanifin will never be as good as Hamilton. It's impressive how often Canadian hockey media is able to tell the future

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Everyone in the Boston locker room hated Hamilton, now talk was that he wasn't liked in the Calgary locker room either. Pretty obvious persistence that he is a bad teammate. Doesn't matter how good a player he is if his team doesn't like him.

Calgary wins by default.

I also see Canadian media trashing the trade saying Hanifin will never be as good as Hamilton. It's impressive how often Canadian hockey media is able to tell the future

Lol where is this coming from?

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
So word is that Hamilton was constantly battering his fellow defenseman, and teammates in general after losses.

After the games, Hamilton would go to museums by himself while the rest of the team went to Cheesecake Factory to eat. Hamitlon got sick of having a hangdog expression every time the goaltending or the Flames’ defense blew a game. Lol.

Sure, Calgary is a bad team so now he is in Carolina. Good luck with that Dougie boy. How long before you rail against your new team after the losses pile up?

Reminds me of Duchene and his situation. I loved the guy when he was in Denver but he wanted out. Apparently the drama in Denver was too much. And now where does he find himself? The biggest drama team in years and one who will lose a franchise player soon, while losing their way to a lottery pick that will be coming to Denver. Karma sucks

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
I dont know that Hamilton was hated in the locker room. I just dont think he liked hanging out with his team-mates. He preferred to do his own thing off the ice. He was a guy who didn’t live and breathe hockey and wasn’t absolutely devastated to lose - ie. he was a somewhat normal well-rounded person.

Unfortunately pro sports teams seem to want their athletes to have a one-track mind these days - live and breathe whatever sport you play 24x7x365 until you retire.

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
Lol where is this coming from?
Just do some reading. When the trade was made there was all kinds of talk out of Boston that they wanted him gone. That's why they didn't get the value they wanted. I am not going to dig up the articles now this far forward.

Articles are flowing out now with the same information, details of which I just posted about how he would go do things by himself when his team went out for a team bonding dinner and much more.

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
I dont know that Hamilton was hated in the locker room. I just dont think he liked hanging out with his team-mates. He preferred to do his own thing off the ice. He was a guy who didn’t live and breathe hockey and wasn’t absolutely devastated to lose - ie. he was a somewhat normal well-rounded person.

Unfortunately pro sports teams seem to want their athletes to have a one-track mind these days - live and breathe whatever sport you play 24x7x365 until you retire.
Hate is a strong word but it's evident to me that his teammates didn't like him. Or perhaps it is the coaching staffs and or front office's that didn't like him.

How else does a talent like him get traded twice in such a short period of time.

Being a loner is fine but you have to bond with your team mates sometimes.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
Hate is a strong word but it's evident to me that his teammates didn't like him. Or perhaps it is the coaching staffs and or front office's that didn't like him.

How else does a talent like him get traded twice in such a short period of time.

Being a loner is fine but you have to bond with your team mates sometimes.

He wasn’t a complete loner. He did hang out with his brother - who the Flames kept around I think for primarily that purpose (although he also wasn’t an awful 4th liner). I don’t know. He’s just a different guy. He’ll never be a locker room leader, but I don’t know why he has to be.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Maybe he wasn’t that popular in Boston but I thought they were shocked and scrambling a bit when he wasn’t going to re sign? They were planning on him signing a long term deal, I don’t think they were getting rid of him at all.

This seems to be more of a Calgary issue then Boston?

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
He wasn’t a complete loner. He did hang out with his brother - who the Flames kept around I think for primarily that purpose (although he also wasn’t an awful 4th liner). I don’t know. He’s just a different guy. He’ll never be a locker room leader, but I don’t know why he has to be.
Yeah I am not in Calgary or Boston, I am not going to pretend to have all the facts. But if some of what I have read is true, you just aren't going to be liked.

Like if he is giving it to his team after a loss, that is actually leadership IMO. If you do it the right way, calling out your team for bad play is something that is needed in the locker room.

But you can't do that, and then that night or the next day when the team goes out together, just ignore everyone and do your own thing. You gotta go with them, maybe buy them a beer and say "I know I was hard on you last night guys, but it's only because I care and want us to get better."

This kind of thing should be self evident.

Again. To me it's clear when someone gets traded twice in such a short time, and being such a great player that there is something behind the scenes that teams don't like about him. His teammates, his coaches, all of the above. Doesn't matter really, carolina should be wary imo

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Flames have given up a total of six high draft picks including two first rounders for Hamilton and Hamonic...now Hamilton, Ferland and their best prospect Adam Fox are now gone. So for Hamonic, Lindholm and Hanifin, Flames have blown a massive hole in their future if they don't work out.

So they gave up 6 picks (2 mid first rounders and several 2nds and lower) for Hanifin, Hamonic and Lindholm. All solid top 4/top6 players with some potential left.

Only a moron would complain about that. Go study the drafts. You'll find most teams would turn those picks into a few busts.

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
Maybe he wasn’t that popular in Boston but I thought they were shocked and scrambling a bit when he wasn’t going to re sign? They were planning on him signing a long term deal, I don’t think they were getting rid of him at all.

This seems to be more of a Calgary issue then Boston?
If I recall correctly it was "post trade" when the discussion came up about how he wasn't liked in the locker room. Before the trade and around the time of the trade, I agree with what you said.

But sometime after it there was also talk about him not being liked and hence, him not liking his teammates. Maybe it was conjecture based on his loner type vibe. You never really know with the Boston sports media, or media in general these days. But it makes sense that he wasn't happy, and didn't want to sign a deal so everything fits the narrative.

But for me, again, it's a red flag that he is getting traded again so soon. His skills are so obvious, and defenseman like him don't get traded too often, much less twice for such a young guy in such a short time

Last edited:

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017
Hamilton > Hanifin. Hes a top pairing 45 point dman. Proven. Hanifin doesnt have the puck skills to produce at that rate consistently unless if he finds a miracle over night. Hanifin isnt an offensive dman. He will hover around 30 points for his career. Carolina won this trade, it wasnt by a landslide but they definitely won the trade.

i dont think so, hamilton is what he is. Hanifin has norris potential. you have no way of knowing what Hanafin will produce. silly post

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
i dont think so, hamilton is what he is. Hanifin has norris potential. you have no way of knowing what Hanafin will produce. silly post
Agreed. Yes, Hamilton is much better now, but he has several nhl years under his belt. Playing with two of the best in the game today, Chara in Boston and Giordano in Calgary.

Hanifin is basically a rookie. Lol.

You have no idea what he will become and he has serious potential. Everyone has a crystal ball on HF when it fits their narrative, and then the rest of the time, prospects are more valuable than proven players because of the same potential. It's hilarious to see the dichotomy in this forum.

Edit: Oops I see now Hanifin has played 3 seasons and I thought it was only two. Time flies. Still, he is still very young having just turned 21 and we all know how dmen take longer

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017
Agreed. Yes, Hamilton is much better now, but he has several nhl years under his belt. Playing with two of the best in the game today, Chara in Boston and Giordano in Calgary.

Hanifin is basically a rookie. Lol.

You have no idea what he will become and he has serious potential.EEveryone has a crystal ball on HF when it fits their narrative, and then the rest of the time, prospects are more valuable than proven players because of the same potential. It's hilarious to see the dichotomy in this forum.

imo you dont trade guys with that potential unless they are bastards. Hanifin has Hedman potential.

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
I like that everyone seems to hate this trade, myself included.
Not I.

I like it for Calgary, especially if the feeling I get about Hamilton is true. If he's a detriment to the locker room then not having him around can work wonders.

Look at the Avs last season after the worst season in modern nhl history. Getting rid of Duchene had a lot to do with that. Even when Duchene is clearly a very talented player
You guys just need some goaltending lol

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I’ve been as big a supporter of Hanifin as there is, and I was around as a Whaler fan when they traded Pronger and know how painful it can be to give up a young d.

After watching him play, I’m not remotely seeing a Norris potential guy. It’s not just that he’s really struggling to follow the play in his own end, he isn’t poised with the puck as you would expect and his shot has been fairly non existent. He skates like the wind but he’s always been reminiscent of J-bo or Hedican. The skating can get him into all sorts of great positions but he doesn’t seem to make the big play in those moments.

I’m not surprised we gave up on him and traded him while the expectations are still high. As fans I don’t think we’re expecting Hanifin to reach the heights we expected in the beginning. I hope he does, honestly.

His defensive play is really rough. He doesn’t see where he’s supposed to be in the zone. Guys get behind him and get position very easily, and it isn’t a hustle thing. It may be a hockey iq thing.

Last edited:

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I’ve been as big a supporter of Hanifin as there is, and I was around as a Whaler fan when they traded Pronger and know how painful it can be to give up a young d.

After watching him play, I’m not remotely seeing a Norris potential guy. It’s not just that he’s really struggling to follow the play in his own end, he isn’t poised with the puck as you would expect and his **** has been fairly non existent. He skates like the wind but he’s always been reminiscent of J-bo or Hedican. The skating can get him into all sorts of great positions but he doesn’t seem to make the big play in those moments.

I’m not surprised we gave up on him and traded him while the expectations are still high. As fans I don’t think we’re expecting Hanifin to reach the heights we expected in the beginning. I hope he does, honestly.

His defensive play is really rough. He doesn’t see where he’s supposed to be in the zone. Guys get behind him and get position very easily, and it isn’t a hustle thing. It may be a hickey iq thing.
I definitely agree with this, and I like the Jay-bo comparison. I think Hanifin can be a top pairing D, but I have always questioned what people see in him beyond his skating (which is absolutely elite). There's just no part of his game besides his skating that screams elite or even near elite for me.

Lindholm is quite similar for me, but his ceiling feels even lower than Hanifin. I think they're both solid players with good but not great all around games. I just don't see elite traits in either of their games (aside from Hanifin's skating) that suggests they will become elite or even low end #1C/W/D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad