Confirmed Trade: [CGY/BUF] Michael Frolik for 2020 4th round pick

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
Frolik was awesome for the first couple of years after Calgary signed him. He went downhill quickly after that. Not really sure why - he’s not that old.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
It's also funny when the fire Botterill thread quiets down and gets buried after a win

I still think he should go, he is too willing to let things collapse while sitting on his hands. This move doesnt impress me, but at least it's something. Anyone who can count sees we need to move out defense and add forwards, so this is like the bare minimum he should be doing, but at least its something.

Reactions: Drunkard

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Frolik was awesome for the first couple of years after Calgary signed him. He went downhill quickly after that. Not really sure why - he’s not that old.

I think it had to do with some type of injury and then the young guys popped up and made it hard for management and coach to cut their TOI. Frolik is the type of guy who does best with high TOI, so I think his play suffered as a result of the TOI hair cut.

I wish him the best in Buffalo. I think Frolik will bounce back and Buffalo will be quite happy with him.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Lol Buffalo's GM flip a 9 pts defensive dman for a 10 pts forward, and loses money with it!
You really don't pay attention to anything other than the NHL.com stat sheet, do you?
Buffalo needs PK help in the forward ranks, they needed a RW'er, and they needed one with experience. By all accounts, Frolik helped along a couple of Calgary's kids defensive game. It's what Buffalo needs.

Deals are more than just an immediate impact stat sheet, all of Buffalo's youth aren't here yet, hell, many, like Pekar and Cozens, are still in the minors. It's important to try and develop what's on the roster as well.

Ledge And Dairy

You really don't pay attention to anything other than the NHL.com stat sheet, do you?
Buffalo needs PK help in the forward ranks, they needed a RW'er, and they needed one with experience. By all accounts, Frolik helped along a couple of Calgary's kids defensive game. It's what Buffalo needs.

Deals are more than just an immediate impact stat sheet, all of Buffalo's youth aren't here yet, hell, many, like Pekar and Cozens, are still in the minors. It's important to try and develop what's on the roster as well.
Exactly, it amazes me how much people on here only look at goals/assists and complain. One of the main reasons Buffalo has fallen back in the playoff hunt is their special teams. Sure their power play is at 17.3% but that's about average over the course of the year. What really stands out is their 74% PK (28th in the league) They have the defense to kill them but they really lack 2-way forwards. I guess Saad was an option but not at a price as low as a 4th. This trade is certainly a win - win scenario.

Reactions: Yatzhee

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Lol Buffalo's GM flip a 9 pts defensive dman for a 10 pts forward, and loses money with it!
Prior to this season Frolik had 15+ goals in 5 of the last 6 seasons. I will take that all day for a measly 4th. This isn't even going to be a top 100 pick. Considering less then 85 players from the 2014 draft (the last draft for all intents and purposes the players are nearly fully developed and not many more are still in the minors with a NHL future) have even played ONE Nhl game, I can care less about a pick that will be outside the top 100. I will take a proven 2 way vet middle 6 winger for the last 40 games over a nothing pick.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
He has got Cup pedigree. Who is this mystery man you speak of that will be better?
Frolik has been garbage this year...his pedigree you claim didn't help ...they free up plenty of cap space to do something

Reactions: north49er

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Prior to this season Frolik had 15+ goals in 5 of the last 6 seasons. I will take that all day for a measly 4th. This isn't even going to be a top 100 pick. Considering less then 85 players from the 2014 draft (the last draft for all intents and purposes the players are nearly fully developed and not many more are still in the minors with a NHL future) have even played ONE Nhl game, I can care less about a pick that will be outside the top 100. I will take a proven 2 way vet middle 6 winger for the last 40 games over a nothing pick.
Yeah he may help with the change in scenery. He was a waste of cap space in Calgary so for them a pick is just a bonus. I thought they would be lucky if someone picked him if they waived him.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Yeah he may help with the change in scenery. He was a waste of cap space in Calgary so for them a pick is just a bonus. I thought they would be lucky if someone picked him if they waived him.

The Sabres are now going to be without their top 2 goal scoring wingers in Skinner and Olofsson long term due to injury. Some players produce far more then their career norm after being traded. And with those 2 injuries I expect Frolik to get ample ice time to succeed. He will play top 6 minutes without a doubt and possibly play with Eichel if Kruger decides to split up Eichel-Reinhart to balance the top 6. If Frolik gets top 6 ice time AND PP time I think he can easily get 10 goals the last 40 games (20 goal pace)

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Frolik consistently came into the Flames camp as the fittest. Or one of the fittest. He never complained about whatever role he was asked to perform. His play this year hasn't been bad as he was bounced around all over the place as the Flames tried to work younger players into the line-up. His sin if you want to call it that was to sign a longer term contract 5 years ago for $4.3M. At the time the league's salary structure wasn't that out of whack. Now it is and teams are hand-cuffed by lack of space, unable to make hockey trades. As Treliving said, the return is cap space. And that will allow us to go out and get an impact player. I suspect he'll try and get a pending UFA that he feels he can sign. The 4th rounder is a bonus.

Reactions: Ledge And Dairy

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
He has got Cup pedigree. Who is this mystery man you speak of that will be better?

Cup pedigree means absolutely nothing if you don't help the team win in the playoffs.. Frolik had 1 measly assist in 9 playoff games here in Calgary. He was unable to use his experience to help the young players here in Calgary in the games they needed it the most. That is not a knock on the player - as he is, and will continue to be a complimentary player but his playoff experience in Chicago on a stacked team was not helpful or beneficial in any way to his teams in Winnipeg or Calgary.

Reactions: DropIt

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Cup pedigree means absolutely nothing if you don't help the team win in the playoffs.. Frolik had 1 measly assist in 9 playoff games here in Calgary. He was unable to use his experience to help the young players here in Calgary in the games they needed it the most. That is not a knock on the player - as he is, and will continue to be a complimentary player but his playoff experience in Chicago on a stacked team was not helpful or beneficial in any way to his teams in Winnipeg or Calgary.
Really? You don't think he mentored Tkachuk on the 3M line? How to be defensively responsible? I think Frolik was a great team mate and provided veteran leadership in the room. If he was paid less, chances are he'd still be here.

KeyserSoze81

Mar 1, 2007
Rochester, NY
Wouldn't be shocked if he can score 20 for them if they don't bury him like Calgary did.

We just lost Jeff Skinner and Victor Olofsson for the next 4-6 weeks, so our top 6 forwards are currently Jack Eichel and Sam Reinhart. He is all but guaranteed a slot on one of the top 2 lines, with PP and PK time.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Really? You don't think he mentored Tkachuk on the 3M line? How to be defensively responsible? I think Frolik was a great team mate and provided veteran leadership in the room. If he was paid less, chances are he'd still be here.

I absolutely believe he was a beneficial line mate for Tkachuk and played a huge role in helping him define his role as an NHL player, of that there is no doubt. I was strictly referring to his playoff/cup experience having little to no impact on this roster as his play in the big games was quite frankly flat out disappointing considering he was one of the few players on the roster with any resemblance of playoff success let alone experience.

I truly appreciate what Frolik brought to this organization and his signing can only be looked at in a positive light. He has however dropped off in his play, and had requested a trade as of last season. This deal makes logistical sense for all parties involved which is nice to see. Frolik will have a great opportunity to prove his worth and hopefully land another multi year NHL deal moving forward.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad