Confirmed Trade: [CGY/BUF] Michael Frolik for 2020 4th round pick

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
We just lost Jeff Skinner and Victor Olofsson for the next 4-6 weeks, so our top 6 forwards are currently Jack Eichel and Sam Reinhart. He is all but guaranteed a slot on one of the top 2 lines, with PP and PK time.

I could definitely see him producing at a 0.5-0.6 pts/g level down the stretch for the Sabres. Considering what Buffalo moved to acquire him - I can't see a better fit for what they needed. I thought this deal might have occurred during the past off-season but the lack of cap room from both sides obviously prevented that.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
So basically Scandella for Frolik.

I'd say the Habs come out of this with the win, as even serviceable defencemen are probably going to cost a fair bit at the deadline (as they often do). But Buffalo obviously have a bit of a glut of mediocre defencemen and could use a forward more. Weren't going to retain Scandella beyond this year and needed a bit of a shakeup sooner rather than later. Might as well pull the trigger i guess. Frolik has really fallen off though...not sure how much he's actually going to be able to help Buffalo...even if Scandella wasn't that helpful either.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I watch most Flames games. Frolik is good pick up for Buffalo. Change of scenery might ignite him. He plays all situations and can turn it on. Stick him with Eichel and some PP time he scores easily 20 goals. If not stick him on the PK and watch him defend goals and get Shorty's. I'm a bit sad we just gave him away like this. Guy has the tools to be a top 6 on any team.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
really eats at some people the Oilers moved Lucic and actually got something back for him
LOL, not one Flames fan with a brain wouldn't do that trade over, Neal costs more goals than he scores and does literally nothing else, Flames fans are cheering for the next few goals just for the 3rd round draft pick and don't forget you're paying 750k in Lucic's salary for us as well. Lucic provides far more to the Flames than Neal ever could, Just the other night with one shot to the nose of an idiot he shut down the whole Rangers brave physical game.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
I watch most Flames games. Frolik is good pick up for Buffalo. Change of scenery might ignite him. He plays all situations and can turn it on. Stick him with Eichel and some PP time he scores easily 20 goals. If not stick him on the PK and watch him defend goals and get Shorty's. I'm a bit sad we just gave him away like this. Guy has the tools to be a top 6 on any team.
Once again. Frolik hasn’t scored 20+ goals since his sophomore year, a decade ago. He earned and got great opportunities with the Flames, he didn’t play with scrubs the whole time he played with Backlund and Tkachuk with plenty of ice time for the majority of his time with the team.

He’s just not a big goal scorer, he’ll score 10-15+ goals and 40 pts a season, while bringing stellar defensive play. He’s a D first player, always has been.

Mangiagane and Dube made him expendable. They didn’t just give him away out of the blue, the writings been on the wall for a year now, I’m just surprised he suited up at all for the Flames this season.

I hope, and think he does well in Buffalo though, good reliable vet who can help a building team

Ledge And Dairy

Once again. Frolik hasn’t scored 20+ goals since his sophomore year, a decade ago. He earned and got great opportunities with the Flames, he didn’t play with scrubs the whole time he played with Backlund and Tkachuk with plenty of ice time for the majority of his time with the team.

He’s just not a big goal scorer, he’ll score 10-15+ goals and 40 pts a season, while bringing stellar defensive play. He’s a D first player, always has been.
Which is exactly what Buffalo needs, they have one of the worst PK's in the league and their problem for that isnt on the back end. Most of their forwards are either young or 1 dimensional offensively. Bringing in a vet like Frolik (that taught Tkachuk how to play a 200ft game will really help them out both short and long run.

Reactions: tmurfin

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Which is exactly what Buffalo needs, they have one of the worst PK's in the league and their problem for that isnt on the back end. Most of their forwards are either young or 1 dimensional offensively. Bringing in a vet like Frolik (that taught Tkachuk how to play a 200ft game will really help them out both short and long run.

The problem with Buffalo's special teams is coaching/strategy. They had ones that worked in October. Not sure what went wrong after that.

At ES, Frolik certainly isn't going to do anything to fix the issue of not having enough forwards who can score away from Eichel. But he will at least address the problem of simply not having 12 NHL-caliber forwards. With any luck, we can build a 2nd LOG-type line around him.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The problem with Buffalo's special teams is coaching/strategy. They had ones that worked in October. Not sure what went wrong after that.

At ES, Frolik certainly isn't going to do anything to fix the issue of not having enough forwards who can score away from Eichel. But he will at least address the problem of simply not having 12 NHL-caliber forwards. With any luck, we can build a 2nd LOG-type line around him.

PP-wise, they really only run two options: one-timers from Eichel on the left or Olofsson on the right. There is no dangerous step out play. The bump is vestigial - not a shooting or deflection option in the least. Teams took the seem pass away and play the two shooters. They made no further adjustments.

As for the penalty killing, watching their defenseman try to play that triangle plus one and stay in position? Oh my God…

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
PP-wise, they really only run two options: one-timers from Eichel on the left or Olofsson on the right. There is no dangerous step out play. The bump is vestigial - not a shooting or deflection option in the least. Teams took the seem pass away and play the two shooters. They made no further adjustments.

As for the penalty killing, watching their defenseman try to play that triangle plus one and stay in position? Oh my God…

Most NHL PPs that I watch that work are shots from the point and deflections/rebounds along the way. Not sure why we don't follow the most successful teams strategy. It's not rocket science.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I think this is a move that'll benefit both sides.
Frolik will slide nicely into Buffalo's middle 6, and likely go .4-.6 PPG down the stretch for them, while providing some veteran leadership and PK'ing.

For Calgary this is a big win too. Frolik simply got passed by Dillon Dube and Andrew Mangiapane on the depth charts, and paying a guy 4.3M/Year to play 4th line minutes and PK isn't great.

Props to both sides in making this work.

Also LOL to people this offseason who were suggest Frolik required a first, second or top prospect attached to him just to move. Dude's a serviceable NHLer.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I think this is a move that'll benefit both sides.
Frolik will slide nicely into Buffalo's middle 6, and likely go .4-.6 PPG down the stretch for them, while providing some veteran leadership and PK'ing.

For Calgary this is a big win too. Frolik simply got passed by Dillon Dube and Andrew Mangiapane on the depth charts, and paying a guy 4.3M/Year to play 4th line minutes and PK isn't great.

Props to both sides in making this work.

Also LOL to people this offseason who were suggest Frolik required a first, second or top prospect attached to him just to move. Dude's a serviceable NHLer.

Anyone stating Frolik had negative value, didn't have a clue. It was a strange off season where nobody contending had cap space, which is the only thing that prevented Frolik from being moved. Even having an awful start this season offensively, Frolik brought something back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad