Confirmed Signing with Link: [CGY] Brad Richardson signs with the Flames (1 year, $800k)

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I posted who he is blocking earlier. You're right, Vancouver should have signed Richardson and left Hoglander to rot in the minors until he was claimed on waivers...

Kylington is a PPG AHL defenseman. Who absolutely dominates at that level. How can he prove anything without a shot?

Gawdin, Ruzicka and Phillips all deserve a shot and have shown more upside than anyone on our 4th line presently. Phillips and Ruzicka looked particularly good. Gawdin basically looked like Richardson or Lewis. Low risk low reward player. Except he isn't in his late 30s.

Well, if they can’t beat Richardson and Lewis for a job then they are not much of a prospect, are they?

Phillips and Ruzicka are in tough spot. They are not good enough to beat the top 6. And they are not bottom line grinders. Not Sutter type anyway.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Well, if they can’t beat Richardson and Lewis for a job then they are not much of a prospect, are they?

Phillips and Ruzicka are in tough spot. They are not good enough to beat the top 6. And they are not bottom line grinders. Not Sutter type anyway.
The cup Champs had similar players in their bottom 6. So did the Flames when they actually won a cup 32 years ago. I'm not sure Dube could beat out Richardson and Lewis under Sutter. I'm not blaming Sutter for the situation, I'm blaming the entire short-sighted organization.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
The cup Champs had similar players in their bottom 6. So did the Flames when they actually won a cup 32 years ago. I'm not sure Dube could beat out Richardson and Lewis under Sutter. I'm not blaming Sutter for the situation, I'm blaming the entire short-sighted organization.

lol nobody has mistake Ruzicka for Joel Otto and I do not see an emerging Theo anywhere. That said if they are any good, all they have to beat are Lewis, Richardson and Ritchie.

The Big Giant Head

Mar 27, 2009
So-Cal
If worn out Kings from the cup teams are Calgary’s preference, could I possibly interest you in a gently used Dustin Brown?

It only makes sense.

Brown had 17 goals and 31 pts in 49 games last season. Im not sure if you're serious or not but Brown is an excellent option for a lot of teams, fortunately, he's likely a life long King. He'll sign a cap friendly career ending contract next off season and that'll be that.

Reactions: Lt Dan

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
lol nobody has mistake Ruzicka for Joel Otto and I do not see an emerging Theo anywhere. That said if they are any good, all they have to beat are Lewis, Richardson and Ritchie.
Obviously the comparison isn't apples to apples, but speaking of apples what if the Jets didn't have guys like Appleton, Lowry and Copp and had those 3 instead?

The point is we don't have any top 10 talent on our roster. We need our system to produce middle six players. We don't allow this to happen. We continually back fill with replacement level players. Last year it was Simon, Nordstrom and the best of either year Leivo. This year it's Richardson, Lewis and Pitlick. If you think Sutter is playing any of Gawdin, Phillips or Ruzicka ahead of Lewis or Richardson I've got a "signed" Babe Ruth Ball available for sale.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Lol this just because Valimaki played more games. Valimaki was night and day better than Kylington, it wasnt close
Completely disagree with you as usual... Valimaki was horrific all season long. Andersson was pretty bad too, but Valimaki was the worst defenseman I've seen on our roster in 20 years. He has some macro skill sets, but his positioning and reads were awful.

Ledge And Dairy

Completely disagree with you as usual... Valimaki was horrific all season long. Andersson was pretty bad too, but Valimaki was the worst defenseman I've seen on our roster in 20 years. He has some macro skill sets, but his positioning and reads were awful.
You are basing your entire opinion on him off like 2 really bad games, Valimaki was overall quite sound, especially once he was playing with Stone instead of Nesterov. Kylington only played 8 games and only made 1 good rush play across all of them. Besides that he had so many defensive gaffes and looked completely lost out there whenever it was on our side of the redline

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
You are basing your entire opinion on him off like 2 really bad games, Valimaki was overall quite sound, especially once he was playing with Stone instead of Nesterov. Kylington only played 8 games and only made 1 good rush play across all of them. Besides that he had so many defensive gaffes and looked completely lost out there whenever it was on our side of the redline
No, I watch every game. It was Valimaki who looked completely lost. Kylington was just fine despite getting no leash whatsoever. I honestly don't know how you come up with some of the stuff you do. Sometimes you have a good post, then others it's a complete opposite view from reality. Kind of blows me away how anyone who follows the sport could think Valimaki was sound defensively.

Ledge And Dairy

No, I watch every game. It was Valimaki who looked completely lost. Kylington was just fine despite getting no leash whatsoever. I honestly don't know how you come up with some of the stuff you do. Sometimes you have a good post, then others it's a complete opposite view from reality. Kind of blows me away how anyone who follows the sport could think Valimaki was sound defensively.
I didnt call him defensively sound, I called him overall sound. His offensive awareness was pretty solid but his defensive game could definitely use some improvement. Again though, once he was partnered with Stone instead of Nesterov it was a pretty big difference. Kylington only ever played with Stone or Valimaki, never with Nesterov.

I fully expect Valimaki to make the full-time starting lineup next year and potentially top 4, while Kylington to be a #6/7.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Why does Flames management think they are legit contenders?
I don’t get why they continue to stick with their core and just add veteran depth in the bottom 6. I would be very frustrated if I was a Flames prospect and flames fan. Moves were said to be coming yet the only changes have been losing a Gio and adding Coleman . Yes some other minor moves but not nearly enough to move the needle.
I dot get what they are trying to do but that’s what they get paid the big bucks to figure out out and maybe I’m horribly wrong and they compete this year .

Reactions: TKB21

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I didnt call him defensively sound, I called him overall sound. His offensive awareness was pretty solid but his defensive game could definitely use some improvement. Again though, once he was partnered with Stone instead of Nesterov it was a pretty big difference. Kylington only ever played with Stone or Valimaki, never with Nesterov.

I fully expect Valimaki to make the full-time starting lineup next year and potentially top 4, while Kylington to be a #6/7.
That's the one thing we can agree on. The organization has their favorites for sure. Kylington won't ever be anything in the Flames organization. He will in his next one though.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
You think its a favorites thing with Sutter choosing the lineup? He's going to play the guy he thinks f***s up the least
Sutter definitely has his favorites. You think we are going after Lewis and Richardson if he didn't? That said, the man is a damn good coach, especially for a team with no high end talent. Terrible GM though.

Ledge And Dairy

Sutter definitely has his favorites. You think we are going after Lewis and Richardson if he didn't? That said, the man is a damn good coach, especially for a team with no high end talent. Terrible GM though.
I should reword what I said, yes Sutter has his favorites but his favorites are almost always the right choices. If he chooses Valimaki over Kylington he is probably correct

ricardfromage

"You wanted the Germs, you get em"
Mar 5, 2020
paradise
This was an excellent signing for the Flamers! I saw BR play a bunch the last two seasons (as much as some not as much as others) and he still plays such a smart game. I really like this signing. Still don't like the Flames but BR is a step in the right direction small as it may be.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Who knows. Maybe Sutter is building a winner like Billy Beane. Not going to pretend I know anything about running a team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad