Confirmed Signing with Link: [CGY] Brad Richardson signs with the Flames (1 year, $800k)

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
That's what I thought with Forbort, Stone, Gustafsson, Simon, Nordstrom, Ritchie ect. I was wrong. Play Kylington and Mackey in the 6/7D roles. Play Ruzicka, Phillips and Gawdin in the 12/13 F role. I've got no issue with guys like Stone, Lewis and Richardson as depth pieces, but we need to actually get some plus NHLers in the lineup past the 8th F spot.

Kylington's lack of play shocked me (as did the fact he cleared waivers), but I still believe the cream rises and there roster spots need to be earned not given.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Didn't Gaudreau just finish leading the team in goals and points?
Yep. And reading your response had me saying "what in the F did I type", as I typed offensive instead of defensive, which was the point I was trying to make. Gaudreau has his flaws as a player but I would never suggest that he has no offense to his game like I accidentally typed. Mistake on my end.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
This. I mean he's a career 4th liner. He was a very good 4th liner, but he's 36. There's no upside here and another young guy with upside gets blocked. The most Flames signing ever. Like the Michael Stone, Derek Forbort, Gustafsson, Fantenberg trades. Just a forward version of them. I wouldn't want to be a prospect who needs seasoning in the Flames organization.

screw that prospects need competition to make themselves better, who exactly is he blocking here anyways?

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Brads Richardson cann really ear what you all are sayin because he got is two stanley cup ring plug in my ear

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
Liked him when he played for the Canucks.. it's 7 years later but still a solid cheap depth pickup for the Flames.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Kylington's lack of play shocked me (as did the fact he cleared waivers), but I still believe the cream rises and there roster spots need to be earned not given.
Kylington vastly outplayed Valimaki and Nesterov. I agree with your point on earning roster spots. I'm just pretty confused on the organizations philosophy. If everything is earned why was Valimaki playing? If everything is upside then why were Nesterov and Stone?

This organization has struggled to develop middle of the roster players. We've seen a lot of bad deals handed out because we don't let our prospects rise. It's resulted in deals like Brouwer, Neal, Stone 1.0. It also results in having no upward push and backfilling the roster with replacement players.

Reactions: YP44

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Perfect bland pickup for a bland team.

Brad will probably score the game winning goal that clinches 10th place in the conference.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
screw that prospects need competition to make themselves better, who exactly is he blocking here anyways?
I posted who he is blocking earlier. You're right, Vancouver should have signed Richardson and left Hoglander to rot in the minors until he was claimed on waivers...

Kylington is a PPG AHL defenseman. Who absolutely dominates at that level. How can he prove anything without a shot?

Gawdin, Ruzicka and Phillips all deserve a shot and have shown more upside than anyone on our 4th line presently. Phillips and Ruzicka looked particularly good. Gawdin basically looked like Richardson or Lewis. Low risk low reward player. Except he isn't in his late 30s.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
I’m impressed that he has 825 games and counting while his career year is 31 points. Brad Richardson is the definition of ‘understanding the assignment’. He’s a defencive forward that doesn’t try to be anything else

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Canucks and Brandon Sutter must be up for the challenge to play against his uncle and his grinders. Lewis and Richardson have been trouble for Vancouver before and hopefully their age means something. It's remarkable the number of agitating players the Flames have such as Lucic, Tkachuk, Mangiapane, Ritchie, Backlund, Lindholm. That's damn near their entire forward group.

I would be concerned for Canucks fans especially with Pettersson and Hughes still negotiating their contracts. The skill might not matter for these guys against Calgary. Then I compare coaches, Sutter and Green to re-assure the Flames winning the season series.

Van does better against VGK than CGY this year.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
If worn out Kings from the cup teams are Calgary’s preference, could I possibly interest you in a gently used Dustin Brown?

It only makes sense.

Brown and Sutter mix like oil and water. Don't forget that Sutter (and Lombardi) stripped Brown of the captaincy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad