Confirmed Signing with Link: [CGY] Brad Richardson signs with the Flames (1 year, $800k)

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Darryl actually made this signing. Better to ask forgiveness than permission. And it worked

Reactions: FloJack

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017

Good value for a 4th liner.

Not to mention he's a Darryl Sutter player, and also allows Trevor Lewis to shift over to RW (and/or split games between them).

Flames are gonna be beastly defensively this season. Every player they've brought in this offseason (Coleman, Zadorov, Pitlick, Lewis, and now Richardson) have excellent defensive impacts.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
low risk low reward signing.

Surprised it was not a PTO...who's next Dwight King and Jordan Nolan?
This. I mean he's a career 4th liner. He was a very good 4th liner, but he's 36. There's no upside here and another young guy with upside gets blocked. The most Flames signing ever. Like the Michael Stone, Derek Forbort, Gustafsson, Fantenberg trades. Just a forward version of them. I wouldn't want to be a prospect who needs seasoning in the Flames organization.

Reactions: Nightrain

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Surprised it was not a PTO...who's next Dwight King and Jordan Nolan?

I was going to say Trevor Lewis, then saw that he signed with them a month ago. Sutter really is getting the gang back together. One more and the Flames could have a Cup-winning 4th line. :sarcasm:

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
This. I mean he's a career 4th liner. He was a very good 4th liner, but he's 36. There's no upside here and another young guy with upside gets blocked. The most Flames signing ever. Like the Michael Stone, Derek Forbort, Gustafsson, Fantenberg trades. Just a forward version of them. I wouldn't want to be a prospect who needs seasoning in the Flames organization.

Don't think this necessarily blocks anyone .Richardson could be waiver bait if a prospect showcases well.

For those that think Sutter hate rookies and won't play them (not saying you), remember Sutter played Toffoli and Pearson on the 2nd line 2014 and called up Nolan and King right before the playoffs in 2012, and played them in key roles. Sutter also was pro Voynov and was good with DL moving out Jack Johnson to make room for the "unproven" D-man. Yes he has his guys that he plays and sometimes plays too much, but he also likes talent.

logik47

Sep 14, 2014
Spent all of his career (15 years) in the Western conference and Calgary is now his 6th NHL Team.

Must be some kind of record.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
He looked awful at first in Nashville (but everybody did), then got hurt and missed most of the season, then came back and looked pretty good but maybe the coach liked him a little too much. All in all, too small a sample to read anything much into his extremely brief tenure with the Predators. Probably better to just go by what the Coyotes last saw of him and what motivated us to sign him in the first place. Good character veteran 4th liner with a good faceoff track record. Happy to see him land somewhere.
:handclap:

Reactions: Nanuuk

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
If worn out Kings from the cup teams are Calgary’s preference, could I possibly interest you in a gently used Dustin Brown?

It only makes sense.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
With covid missed time still a likely occurence this season, it's going to be important to have lots of depth players to be honest.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
If worn out Kings from the cup teams are Calgary’s preference, could I possibly interest you in a gently used Dustin Brown?

It only makes sense.
I'd actually be interested. I do like Brown and he shoots right. The problem is we can only accommodate about 3M in cap.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Don't think this necessarily blocks anyone .Richardson could be waiver bait if a prospect showcases well.

For those that think Sutter hate rookies and won't play them (not saying you), remember Sutter played Toffoli and Pearson on the 2nd line 2014 and called up Nolan and King right before the playoffs in 2012, and played them in key roles. Sutter also was pro Voynov and was good with DL moving out Jack Johnson to make room for the "unproven" D-man. Yes he has his guys that he plays and sometimes plays too much, but he also likes talent.
That's what I thought with Forbort, Stone, Gustafsson, Simon, Nordstrom, Ritchie ect. I was wrong. Play Kylington and Mackey in the 6/7D roles. Play Ruzicka, Phillips and Gawdin in the 12/13 F role. I've got no issue with guys like Stone, Lewis and Richardson as depth pieces, but we need to actually get some plus NHLers in the lineup past the 8th F spot.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

Good value for a 4th liner.

Not to mention he's a Darryl Sutter player, and also allows Trevor Lewis to shift over to RW (and/or split games between them).

Flames are gonna be beastly defensively this season. Every player they've brought in this offseason (Coleman, Zadorov, Pitlick, Lewis, and now Richardson) have excellent defensive impacts.

These guys just make up for the defensive issues in the top six (minus Lindholm).

Seriously though, decent signing Calgary. Nothing to complain about here. Good depth forward, next to no cap hit. Good job.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad