Post-Game Talk: CFL RedBlacks vs Cats East Final Nov 22

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Ironically I find your perspective to be the truly strange one.

I cheer for sports teams because they're the societally acceptable replacement for war between communities. It fills the void of actual combat with a bloodless battle for pride and (perceived) supremacy. My people vs. your people for all the marbles (trophy) etc... That's the psychological (and historical) point of sports anyways.

For me, it has nothing to do with the relative quality of the players. If they suit up with a uniform that bears my place's name, they have my support and none other. That's not to say I don't enjoy watching sports casually, but to actively ignore the local product for something from someplace else just because the so-called 'quality' is better?... Not saying you do of course since I think you said you'd rather be watching the Redblacks.

In my mind, if you look at sport the way you described, we really are just a bunch of idiots getting excited and wasting our time watching millionaires chase balls around a pitch... ;)

This is kind of disturbing to read. If I'm interpreting this correctly, you feel the need to replace the lack of war in your life with an entertainment product. I understand your ideal that you're imposing your dominance on another region/fanbase but that to me is part of the entertainment and nothing too serious. If you feel the need to 'war' with other human beings you should actually play sports, not watch them. Watching sports and attending these events is more of a social gathering with friends than going to war with other men. Competition and entertainment are vastly different things than War. You probably glorify way more than I do though. War is bad. Very very bad and no one ever wins, they just die.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
I like CFL better than the NFL because the rules allow for a more exciting game. I don't care if the players are worse or not. If having the best players was so important, than why do people in North America choose the IIHF WJC over the WC?

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I like CFL better than the NFL because the rules allow for a more exciting game. I don't care if the players are worse or not. If having the best players was so important, than why do people in North America choose the IIHF WJC over the WC?

Marketing. (And because one is a best on best and the other isn't so that actually hurts your point)

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Marketing. (And because one is a best on best and the other isn't so that actually hurts your point)

But not every NFL game is best on best. I mean theoretically the gap between best and worst in the CFL should be a lot smaller than in the NFL.

I do think marketing is a huge reason why some prefer the NFL to the CFL though

FuriousSenator

Mar 18, 2011
Ottawa
This is kind of disturbing to read. If I'm interpreting this correctly, you feel the need to replace the lack of war in your life with an entertainment product. I understand your ideal that you're imposing your dominance on another region/fanbase but that to me is part of the entertainment and nothing too serious. If you feel the need to 'war' with other human beings you should actually play sports, not watch them. Watching sports and attending these events is more of a social gathering with friends than going to war with other men. Competition and entertainment are vastly different things than War. You probably glorify way more than I do though. War is bad. Very very bad and no one ever wins, they just die.

???? I'm not glorifying war. I'm explaining the historical and psychological reasons for why modern pro sports exist and are exciting to most people... I'm not advocating that sports be treated like an actual war. :laugh:

Why do you get such a thrill for a big hit in hockey, or a big tackle in football? Same reason the Romans gave the thumbs down in the Colosseum...

No stakes, no excitement.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
But not every NFL game is best on best. I mean theoretically the gap between best and worst in the CFL should be a lot smaller than in the NFL.

I do think marketing is a huge reason why some prefer the NFL to the CFL though

I don't understand your point. The nfl has the best football players in the world. You cannot dispute that.

Now your earlier points on the rules is valid but is personal preference. I do enjoy some of the rules but the CFL also has some of the worst rules in any sport imo. The review of pass interference is so terrible and just slows things down on am already slow paced game. The trigger happy officials on objectionable conduct is terrible as well. It's very inconsistent and mostly unnecessary. But that's just my opinion.

I get a laugh out of the pre snap movement too. I don't dislike it, it's just goofy.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa

The alternative though is sports reduced to reality television.

If you self-identify as a Dallas Cowboys fan even though you've never lived in Dallas, never been to Dallas, have no connection to Dallas whatsoever, and sit in a dark basement and cheer on the Cowboys every week (because you can't actually go to games, you don't live in Dallas), then you might as well be watching reality TV. You might as well be watching the Apprentice or Survivor and cheering on Diane rather than Ellen. Diane has just as much connection to your life as <insert your NFL team here>.

If that's what people like to do, then they can knock themselves out, different strokes for different folks, but that's certainly not how I like to watch sports. I like to have some skin in the game, so the team should be representing my city or some place that I have a connection to, attempting to beat some other city that I don't have a connection to. If it's not the highest level of said sport, then too bad, I don't really care.

I do watch things like the World Cup, even if Canada isn't there, for the spectacle and entertainment. I don't put on a Germany shirt or wave a flag and pretend I have some connection to Germany or Brasil or wherever. If you have some connection to one of the countries than it's natural that you'd cheer for them.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
I don't understand your point. The nfl has the best football players in the world. You cannot dispute that.

Now your earlier points on the rules is valid but is personal preference. I do enjoy some of the rules but the CFL also has some of the worst rules in any sport imo. The review of pass interference is so terrible and just slows things down on am already slow paced game. The trigger happy officials on objectionable conduct is terrible as well. It's very inconsistent and mostly unnecessary. But that's just my opinion.

I get a laugh out of the pre snap movement too. I don't dislike it, it's just goofy.

I am not denying your point. The NFL has the best players no doubt. But when I brought up the WJC vs the WC you seemed to suggest there were two reasons for the WJC being preferred. One being marketing (which I completely agree), and two the WC is not best on best. What I got out of that was that you think the WJC is better because it is best on best (at that level). I was just saying that not every NFL game would be best on best. Although after typing all that down I think I misunderstood you.

I agree that the CFL could have better rules, and that the refs were too strict this year. But I still think that over all the rules make for a more exciting game than the NFL, that the gap between NFL and CFL players isn't big enough to change.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary

If you self-identify as a Dallas Cowboys fan even though you've never lived in Dallas, never been to Dallas, have no connection to Dallas whatsoever, and sit in a dark basement and cheer on the Cowboys every week (because you can't actually go to games, you don't live in Dallas), then you might as well be watching reality TV. You might as well be watching the Apprentice or Survivor and cheering on Diane rather than Ellen. Diane has just as much connection to your life as <insert your NFL team here>.

If that's what people like to do, then they can knock themselves out, different strokes for different folks, but that's certainly not how I like to watch sports. I like to have some skin in the game, so the team should be representing my city or some place that I have a connection to, attempting to beat some other city that I don't have a connection to. If it's not the highest level of said sport, then too bad, I don't really care.

I do watch things like the World Cup, even if Canada isn't there, for the spectacle and entertainment. I don't put on a Germany shirt or wave a flag and pretend I have some connection to Germany or Brasil or wherever. If you have some connection to one of the countries than it's natural that you'd cheer for them.

I was a Senators fan before every going to Ottawa. And even though I was not there for very long I am still a Sens fan. I was there when Alfie put us through to the finals, and when Turris scored against the Rangers in the playoffs, and when we won every fight in a line brawl against the Habs, etc. Isn't that enough of a connection? In this day and age with the internet I can experience those moments too just like any other fan. While it may be hard to pin down what exactly led me to initially choose the Sens over the Flames, I now have a history with the Sens and not the Flames. My "I was there", "I remember when....", connection is much greater with the Sens than with the Flames. I built a connection with the Sens that I never had with Calgary.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I am not denying your point. The NFL has the best players no doubt. But when I brought up the WJC vs the WC you seemed to suggest there were two reasons for the WJC being preferred. One being marketing (which I completely agree), and two the WC is not best on best. What I got out of that was that you think the WJC is better because it is best on best (at that level). I was just saying that not every NFL game would be best on best. Although after typing all that down I think I misunderstood you.

I agree that the CFL could have better rules, and that the refs were too strict this year. But I still think that over all the rules make for a more exciting game than the NFL, that the gap between NFL and CFL players isn't big enough to change.

The point was that the players in the world championship are better than the players in the worlds juniors, however more people prefer the world juniors for 2 reasons. 1) marketing and 2)excitement of product. The skill difference of the players doesn't seem to factor much.

Some could argue the CFL allows for a more exciting game. The marketing favours the NFL. The skill difference can be an afterthought to many like the hockey example.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
The point was that the players in the world championship are better than the players in the worlds juniors, however more people prefer the world juniors for 2 reasons. 1) marketing and 2)excitement of product. The skill difference of the players doesn't seem to factor much.

Some could argue the CFL allows for a more exciting game. The marketing favours the NFL. The skill difference can be an afterthought to many like the hockey example.

I would agree with that. However during NFL vs CFL debates many NFL fans will talk about the player's skill level.

Last edited:

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa

Maybe I underestimate the level people actually just enjoy and are entertained by sports? Perhaps for many it's simply just "being part of something".

I watch a lot of sports/competitions and most of them I have little connection to the people involved. The Sens are really the only exception. Of course I'll cheer on my local people/teams for the most part but I generally don't watch these things unless I'm actually entertained by them. I even watch stuff like competitive Halo and Mortal Kombat because I find I like to learn how the best players play. I don't watch much TV or many movies so the real life drama is enough for me. I'm more of a news/sports person.

I've just always really liked football. I absolutely love how much of a chess match it is between the coaches. There are so many moving parts on a team. Once we lost the Renegades, the NFL was my go to. Didn't really watch a much CFL between then and when we got the Redblacks. I'm naturally fully behind the RBs being a big football guy and a life long resident of Ottawa. It's very entertaining to go to a game but I can't appreciate it as much as seeing Tom Brady run a Bill Belicheck run offense or JJ Watt single handedly decimating an offensive line.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Hey, are the REDBLACKS underdogs next Sunday? Huge - probably 10 points. If you're Edmonton, though, the REDBLACKS are exactly the kind of team that makes you nervous. They are loose, having fun, and have nothing to lose. The longer the Esks let Ottawa hang around, the more dangerous it gets for them.

I was there today as I have been for every game this year. (And last year, and the Renegades before them, and the Rough Riders before them.). The Ellingson catch and run is karma for all the garbage Ottawa football fans have endured for far too long. Feels great - to paraphrase Bill Belichick, we're on to Winnipeg...

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
Plenty of seats left in Wpg if anyone is thinking of making the journey, but tickets are no bargain. $300 will get you second row tickets in the end-zone where you'll probably watch the game on the big screen as if you were at home. For $400 you can get pretty decent seats (or you can buy a new big screen TV you can keep).

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Ya we are going into the GC heavy heavy underdogs, but who really cares. Who could have predicted we'd have a shot at it after winning 2 games last year. Anything can happen in 1 game. Can't wait.

There under dogs but not as heavy as some think Edmonton might have trouble keeping pace.

Noisespektrum

Jun 11, 2011
new york city
As far as opinions on talent goes, Canadian NFL fans are a pretty unknowledgble lot who know little more than the betting lines and general hype as far as pro ball goes in my experience. and any talent disparity is neglidgible based on their view.

American NFL fans and Canadian CFL fans know pro ball. Have never met an American who said anything negative about the CFL ...and their opinions range from curiousity , to weird to "we should adopt that rule"

Less than a thousand tix left for Grey Cup and Esks fans travel well as they throw the best party but luckily some dejected Bombers season tix holders are flooding kijiji with their tickets

A week from today the Ottawa Redblacks will be World Champions

Last edited:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Looks to me that since the beginning of the game, the TSN crew is tilting towards Hamilton... or is it just me?? It must be my insecurity of being a Sens fan all these years playing mind games on me :D

Considering Duthie and Climie are local I'd guess you are mistaken.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Edmonton will be a tall order, but just making the Cup in 2 years is a remarkable accomplishment.

I think everyone in this city understands and appreciates that.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
As far as opinions on talent goes, Canadian NFL fans are a pretty unknowledgble lot who know little more than the betting lines and general hype as far as pro ball goes in my experience. and any talent disparity is neglidgible based on their view.

American NFL fans and Canadian CFL fans know pro ball. Have never met an American who said anything negative about the CFL ...and their opinions range from curiousity , to weird to "we should adopt that rule"

Less than a thousand tix left for Grey Cup and Esks fans travel well as they throw the best party but luckily some dejected Bombers season tix holders are flooding kijiji with their tickets

A week from today the Ottawa Redblacks will be World Champions

In the CANADIAN football league?

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
So Redblacks jerseys are on sale for $30 or so bucks now at Lids.ca.

Pulled the trigger on the full set. Came to about $100 all in.

Even with CFL changing from Reebok to Adidas, I can't imagine them going on clearance for much less than $30 per jersey.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
So Redblacks jerseys are on sale for $30 or so bucks now at Lids.ca.

Pulled the trigger on the full set. Came to about $100 all in.

Even with CFL changing from Reebok to Adidas, I can't imagine them going on clearance for much less than $30 per jersey.

They've been half price at the store at TD Place for a while, a sure sign that the uniforms are changing for next season. They won't dare mess with the colours or the logo, both of which are huge hits, so a modest uniform redesign won't bug me.

A very good point was made earlier - we love to dump all over CFL officiating, and often with good reason, but I thought that was a really good crew yesterday. They only called what they had to call, and generally let the players play. I saw a few borderline PI calls get let go both ways, which is exactly how it should be in a big game.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
They've been half price at the store at TD Place for a while, a sure sign that the uniforms are changing for next season. They won't dare mess with the colours or the logo, both of which are huge hits, so a modest uniform redesign won't bug me.

A very good point was made earlier - we love to dump all over CFL officiating, and often with good reason, but I thought that was a really good crew yesterday. They only called what they had to call, and generally let the players play. I saw a few borderline PI calls get let go both ways, which is exactly how it should be in a big game.

Yep agreed, was noticed by many people in the crowd too.. Hope the CFL noticed, that's the way the game of football should be played!

What an afternoon, you could tell Ottawa football fans had been waiting a LONG time for yesterday. One more win!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad