CFL: Official "Ottawa REDBLACKS" Thread Part III: ALLCAPS EDITION

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
The RedBlacks held the Riders and Stamps to a close game. The Lions are not better, and quite frankly your hyperbole is getting tiring.

Ok, we'll see.

We were suppose to have a real good chance against the struggling Alouettes, with a rookie QB. How'd that turn out?

Sorry if my disappointment with all the losing bothers you. We were promised a better product by the CFL!

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I am sure you will be disappointed if they aren't blown out.You seem to be cheering more for them to fail than for them to make it.

I want a winning team to cheer for!

I fell hard for the crap we were fed by the CFL when they told us how favorable the expansion draft was for us. My expectations were far too high!

I was expecting us to be better than the Alouettes because they lost Anthony Calvillo to retirement. We may not be better at all, even with a QB that went to the Grey Cup just last season!

Last edited:

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
Redblacks are an offensive team short of having a CFL team. Just pathetic!

As I predicted, the Alouettes look so much better than their record against a REAL pathetic team!

No o-line,
No receivers,
No d-backs,
No QBs,
NO HOPE! :laugh:

I want a winning team to cheer for!

I fell hard for the crap we were fed by the CFL when they told us how favorable the expansion draft was for us. My expectations were far too high!

It doesn't seem that way at all. When you first came on here you were trolling them and asking whats a RedBlack ? nyuk nyuk - and so on. You don't seem like a disappointed fan at all and seem to be cheering for them to fail.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
It doesn't seem that way at all. When you first came on here you were trolling them and asking whats a RedBlack ? nyuk nyuk - and so on. You don't seem like a disappointed fan at all and seem to be cheering for them to fail.

I assure you, I want a winning team. I'm just disappointed by all the losing while we were promised a better product because of how favorable the CFL expansion draft was for us.

Yes, I wanted the Ottawa Rough Rider name brought back. I was disappointed when it wasn't!

The RedBlacks name has grown on me though. I had forgotten how the Rough Riders were also referred to as the Red and the Black back in their hayday! So the name RedBlacks fits in with the Rough Rider history IMHO.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
You can't really be mad at the team. It's an expansion team. They are supposed to be terrible.

If they still suck after their third or fourth season, then be mad.

As of now, calling for them to be named the Ottawa Losers in a rebranding effort to fit in with the new baseball team is a bit much.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Well, like it or not, the RedBlacks ARE an expansion team.

I expect they'll be the CFL doormats for at least 3 seasons, maybe more.

Will the fan base still find it fun at TD Place stadium long enough to see a winner?

The problem is, if you want a good football team, you have to be willing to support them through the awful expansion phase. The Renegades didn't even last long enough to become a really good team.

For them to exist in 3-5 years, they have to be some what viable right now. I'm sure the owners have some idea of what to expect through out the first few years when the team sucks, but the bottom line is, if there's not a big enough demand for football that would allow enough fans to buy jerseys and watch games when the product stinks, then the team will eventually cease to exist.

I think the Redblacks will find a way to market the experience of games beyond "come see our team win", and they'll be fine. But this is Ottawa, so I also would not be surprised to see the team fold a few seasons in if they can't win.

Right now, it's not so much the losing, but how awful a majority of the Redblack's games have been. It's just not a fun product to watch most of the time.

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa
It is a little disheartening to see the team giving up losses to teams like Montreal. With how weak the East has been, I really feel as though we should be a bit more competitive.

Then again, maybe we're just the weak team in a weak conference.

Oct 10, 2010
Did Burris misjudge how many yards they needed for the 1st down. They were still short a full yard after gaining about 2 on 2 plunges. Makes no sense to sneak on 2nd and 3rd down when you need 3 yards and 2 scoring plays and time is running out. The offensive coordinator or Burris blew that big time.

back-to-back boneheaded plays!

Not only that, but the als were playing back all series, why waste time in doing the QB sneaks?

Als were just preventing the big play and were cool giving up the short pass completions as the time was on their side.

I am losing my patience with the coaching staff (because these types calls). I am guessing Burris didn't call his own #, but who knows for sure.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
Expect The Redblacks to sign a new backup QB with decent CFL experience very soon.

They need someone to take the heat off Burris. Their poor results are partly due to his errors but mostly it has to do with his lack of protection and the receivers.
It is all being personalized right now and blamed on him.

The team should show more improvement, but also as fans from Ottawa we have to show that we are not the "worst fans in Canada'" ready to run a new team out of town because it looks like an expansion team, which it is.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Expect The Redblacks to sign a new backup QB with decent CFL experience very soon.

I really hope he gets some playing time! The coaching staff seem to think Burris can do no wrong, when, in fact, he looks terrible.

I'd give Burris the 1st quarter to prove himself, and, if he doesn't look good enough, in goes the backup QB for the 2nd. Burris gets to start the 3rd if the backup doesn't look any better. However, the backup gets the 4th if Burris still can't get it done. This is all assuming that the backup is possibly your future starter or 1B QB.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
They need someone to take the heat off Burris. Their poor results are partly due to his errors but mostly it has to do with his lack of protection and the receivers.

The team should show more improvement, but also as fans from Ottawa we have to show that we are not the "worst fans in Canada'" ready to run a new team out of town because it looks like an expansion team, which it is.

I understand that he's not getting the best o-line protection. I also see that the receivers are sometimes dropping what should be easy catches. However, Burris, as a veteran QB, can't make the stupid, rookie type errors. He doesn't seem to be able to scramble the way he use to. As a veteran QB, I'd also expect him to make broken plays work on occasion. Also, his decision making behind the line of scrimmage seems too slow IMHO.

Shanny

Let's Win It All
Jun 12, 2009
Bytown

I really hope he gets some playing time! The coaching staff seem to think Burris can do no wrong, when, in fact, he looks terrible.

I'd give Burris the 1st quarter to prove himself, and, if he doesn't look good enough, in goes the backup QB for the 2nd. Burris gets to start the 3rd if the backup doesn't look any better. However, the backup gets the 4th if Burris still can't get it done. This is all assuming that the backup is possibly your future starter or 1B QB.

Agreed on all fronts, some of the coaching decisions over the past 2 games have been questionable at best, we're an expansion team in terms of talent on the field, not on the sidelines calling the plays.

Anyways, look for Max Hall to sign here to backup Burris until the end of the season.

zenator

Jan 1, 2004
2 Canadian NFL veterans were cut today...

WR Nate Burleson (Calgary native)

DE Israel Idonije (U of Manitoba)

Al14

Jul 13, 2007

Both are 33 years old. Too old. They are winding down as football players.

We need up and comers, not ready to retire vets IMHO.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Agreed on all fronts, some of the coaching decisions over the past 2 games have been questionable at best, we're an expansion team in terms of talent on the field, not on the sidelines calling the plays.

Anyways, look for Max Hall to sign here to backup Burris until the end of the season.
Not a bad pickup. Had a cup of coffee in the NFL, did adequately as backup to Pierce in Winnipeg. Probably not the QB of the future but a smart pickup to ease some of the tension.

I'd absolutely take a look at Burleson if he's not nabbed by another NFL team. Surprised he was cut given Gordon's suspension. Four of his past five seasons have been 450+ yard seasons. And the fifth season was a fluke injury that derailed him.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Ok, we'll see.

We were suppose to have a real good chance against the struggling Alouettes, with a rookie QB. How'd that turn out?

Sorry if my disappointment with all the losing bothers you. We were promised a better product by the CFL!

I agree too be honest, the offense is so pathetically bad, its the worst I have ever seen in the CFL. The D is actually pretty good but when they are on the field for over three quarters of the game eventually they are going to get tired in the 4th quarter.

Something has to be done here. Are there any O linemen that have been cut by NFL teams available? There has to be something out there. Not being able to score against Montreal until 6 minutes left in the 4th quarter is the final straw for me.

Oct 10, 2010
Max Hall is a waste of a signing, imo

If the organization doesn't feel Burris is the guy ( which i doubt), Hall shouldn't be getting snaps. (Ask Winnipeg fans what they think about him)

Again, Burris has absolutely 0 big play players ( besides Walker, who doesn't get the ball enough) and his O line isn't great either.

I am all for blaming players, but i don't think Burris deserves most of the blame here.

Oct 10, 2010
Shore up the O line and get him a damn #1 WR! If it doesn't workout, i will be the first in line calling for a new QB.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Not a bad pickup. Had a cup of coffee in the NFL, did adequately as backup to Pierce in Winnipeg. Probably not the QB of the future but a smart pickup to ease some of the tension.

I'd absolutely take a look at Burleson if he's not nabbed by another NFL team. Surprised he was cut given Gordon's suspension. Four of his past five seasons have been 450+ yard seasons. And the fifth season was a fluke injury that derailed him.

As a person who has closely followed the Bombers, Max Hall is NOT the answer if you're looking for a starter. He's an adequate back-up but he isn't good enough to win.

Izzy is my friend, we grew up together, he's going to retire.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I understand that its an expansion team, but for people like me who aren't really football fans and are trying to get into the Redblacks, it can be difficult to motivate ourselves to go to a game, or watch one on tv when you know the team is probably going to get blown out.

I'm not saying that Im giving up, but i think for the casual fan its difficult to invest ourselves in a team that is struggling so mightily. 1 win in 2 months

SourGrapes

You Kids Out There
Dec 30, 2013
Mimico
I understand that its an expansion team, but for people like me who aren't really football fans and are trying to get into the Redblacks, it can be difficult to motivate ourselves to go to a game, or watch one on tv when you know the team is probably going to get blown out.

I'm not saying that Im giving up, but i think for the casual fan its difficult to invest ourselves in a team that is struggling so mightily. 1 win in 2 months

Come to TD Place and you'll see why we've all fallen in love with the team. Beautiful facility (not a bad seat in the house!), terrific crowds, a great experience. The on-field production has been poor, but one visit to TD Place will turn their opinions on the team.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad