Center Options

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
The only position of strength for the leafs is in goal so if you're making a trade it's Bernier or Reimer + prospect for a top six center

BTW if Bolland has a torn tendon he may have played his final game for the leafs

I doubt they re-sign him if he's hobbled

Patience

Sep 8, 2013
Brad Boyes? Jeff Halpern? Leafs can sign Smithson to an NHL deal, that might make the most sense. None of these guys cause me to tingle with anticipation.

Penalty Kill Icing*

What is Tyler Biggs up to these days? Needs time? Junior or AHL?

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
A trade for a center is the only option unless you move JVR to center. Period.

There are no players in the organization beyond Smith who can even play C at the NHL level.

Subtracting from a weak D is pointless.

One of Reimer or Bernier is gone

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
The best option is to move JVR to 2nd line C. He's pretty darn good at faceoffs and even though he excels as a winger he's the best option to move to Center.

Steveei

Sep 10, 2012
Greg McKegg .. give the kid a chance.. (personally, I like the kid a lot, i can see him as 2C at full potential)

Patience

Sep 8, 2013
Of the Leafs' wingers I think Mason Raymond has the best skill to play the position. Then Lupul, then JVR.

I remember back in the Pat Quinn days the team had a slew of converted centers playing the wing ready to step in.

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
Where would Stastny play once Bozak and Bolland are healthy? We won't have enough cap space or roster space to put all of them + Kadri in roles they can succeed in

Ok lets think this out

Liles + Kulemin = Stastny (roughly)

Stastny or Kadri could play RW when all healthy

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
We almost have to go for trade at this point. I mean the Marlies depth isn't so good that we can seriously get by like this. Unless we're going to have converted wingers to center for half our lineup we've got to do something.

Nonis has some time, but the clock is ticking.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
What I would do.

JVR Kessel Clarkson until Bozak comes back

Kadri Lupul and Kulemin

Mcclement Leivo Raymond

Smith Orr Mclaren

Survivor mode~

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
The best option is to move JVR to 2nd line C. He's pretty darn good at faceoffs and even though he excels as a winger he's the best option to move to Center.

That would be a decent short term fix. If it were Kadri that went down I would think they would have no choice but to make a big deal as Boz and Bolland are not really legitimate top line players but the guys who are likely to be their top four scorers remain healthy. Obviously they are in it deep if another top 6 guy goes down because the Marlie depth is more grit than skill. May have saved Bozak's bacon as Bolland has looked a lot better except for the faceoffs.

Last edited:

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Jussi Jokinen anyone? Guy's a capable stopgap scoring line center. When you're healthy, shift him over to wing.

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
McKegg is not the answer. Abbott and Leivo are the only Marlie forwards that could help in the top nine.

Trade or JVR to center.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad