Celtics/NBA Celtics/NBA 2018-2019 Regular Season II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
On Dec. 26, 1964, in St. Louis, Boston Celtics coach Red Auerbach put Willie Naulls into the starting lineup for the injured Tom Heinsohn prior to a game against the Hawks.

It was the first time in National Basketball Association history that five African-American players took the floor as a starting unit: Mr. Naulls, Bill Russell, Satch Sanders, Sam Jones, and K.C. Jones.

The historic occasion so moved Mr. Naulls that after his retirement two years later, he commissioned a portrait called “The Starting Five” to capture one of his most treasured memories.
A 6-feet-6-inches-tall forward and four-time NBA All-Star with the New York Knicks, he played his final professional seasons with the Celtics and helped them win three consecutive NBA championships.

An ordained minister who brought a message of hope to inner city youths in the Los Angeles area, Mr. Naulls died in his Laguna Niguel, Calif., home on Nov. 22 of respiratory complications of Churg-Strauss syndrome. He was 84.

Mr. Naulls was grateful for the opportunity, his time with the Celtics was hard work at first. He collapsed at his first practice and eventually shed the pounds that enabled him to keep pace with the team’s fast-break style of play.

That showed on April 25, 1965, at Boston Garden when the Celtics blew out the Los Angeles Lakers, 129-96, to win their eighth NBA title. The highlight was a 20-0 run to start the fourth quarter.

Mr. Naulls scored eight of those points, grabbed two rebounds, and had one steal.

The moment was captured on the vintage record album “Havlicek Stole the Ball,” narrated by radio announcer Johnny Most, who noted that Mr. Naulls “has been sensational . . . this is hard to believe.”

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Wyc Grousbeck decided to join the commentary table tonight and he's actually really entertaining

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Brad Stevens has never ever won squat and gets talked about like a great coach in NBA history.I do not get it .And why is Williams not getting any mins with that monster for Sixers on floor and Bayne hurt?Theze groups he sends out are laughable at times today vs Sixers best players.

Last edited:

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Celtics coach really bothers me with his poor rotations.Philly big run to end 3rd then a run to start 4th and he continues with Hayward and Brown.
.Wakeup.

CharaBadSenyshynGawd

Jun 18, 2017
Celtics coach really bothers me with his poor rotations.Philly big run to end 3rd then a run to start 4th and he continues with Hayward and Brown.
.Wakeup.
I don’t really know what the deal with the rotations are honestly.

I really think coaching a team of role players is easier than coaching a team with a few “stars” and a few more looking to become stars. Last year Brad was on point putting guys in the positions where they could succeed. This year it’s like hes doing the opposite. Whether it be to teach the guys to be able to play in all situations or what, I have no idea. Hopefully there’s some genius in him that is prepping these guys for a run.

I won’t bash him until the seasons over. If this team loses is round 1, or even round 2 depending on the matchup, this season was a bust. Way too much talent on the roster

Reactions: 22Brad Park
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad