Celebrating after a Goal

JaeTM

Dec 3, 2009
Long Island
Do you guys celebrate after a goal is scored? Raise your hands, fist pump, something crazy, nothing? I was just wondering because I'm sitting here watching the WJC and RNH just scored a beauty but didnt really celebrate at all and made me think about my league. No one ever really celebrates other than getting together and do a fist pound.

I noticed that when I scored in my last game, I didn't celebrate either and usually don't anymore when I score. I'm not gonna lie though, I really want to! Haha. Maybe I don't just because I notice that no one in my league doesn't...idk. What do you guys do/do the people in your league celebrate after a goal is scored?

1Knee1T

Jun 29, 2008
Normally I don't do anything, just thank the setup man and bump fists with the rest of the boys. If it's a big goal late in a game I'll probably fist pump or something.

I save the over-the-top celebrations for when the other team acts like dbags.

ChiTownHawks

May 5, 2009
Orland Park, IL
I don't really celebrate but I always seem to yell out a loud "yeah" when it goes in and go fist pound with the guys on my line. I seem to celebrate more when my teammates score as opposed to when I do.

If I know I got a cheap"ish" goal I sometimes will kind of laugh to myself and just skate to the face-off dot. For example in my last guy I was setting for an offensive zone face-off and lost it, but the guy who won it only got a little bit so it ended up right behind him. I was able to get to it and go five hole right away. I knew that was kind of cheap so I kept my celebrations very minimal.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
I fist pump and yell and then hug/fist bump the team. It's all part of it!

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Normally I don't do anything, just thank the setup man and bump fists with the rest of the boys. If it's a big goal late in a game I'll probably fist pump or something.

I save the over-the-top celebrations for when the other team acts like dbags.

This.

I also clean my blade while skating back, but thats something I do all the time anyways. Always makes me worry that someone will take it as some sort of dbag move, but I really just hate snow on my blade.

Gentle Ben Ken0bi

Sep 8, 2005
I only play pick up so typically not, but when my friend is in net and I score I always tell him that the puck is behind him.

CoopALoop

Apr 19, 2012
Van, Bandwagoner
Goalie perspective:

I've seen many a goal celebration against me. Normally, like what has already been said in this thread, celebrations are usually minimal and a fist bump with the guys on the ice.

I've also seen a jump into the boards after a greasy goal against when my team was up another 3 goals.

Though, a word of advice for the newish players here, don't celebrate to the goalie directly. That's a quick way to get a mouth full of blocker foam. :laugh:

Either way, it's all a part of the game.

Also, while I'm usually very calm after a big save, I have definitely had my moments of over the top celebration. After a big save in a shootout to go onto the next round in the playoffs, I've definitely done a Carey Price World Junior type of celebration.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Usually let out a whoop or a "yeah!" when I see it go it. It's just too exciting.

I used to not celebrate if we were way up or down in goals, but last year I had a goal taken away because the refs "didn't see it go in" since the puck popped in and out and I just skated to the bench.

But if it's a big goal, we need the momentum, or someone who doesn't score much got one, I will do a fist or helmet bump.

Usually I don't do the fist bumps with the bench unless I'm trying to rub it in to the other team.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
Though, a word of advice for the newish players here, don't celebrate to the goalie directly. That's a quick way to get a mouth full of blocker foam. :laugh:

Yeah, I once had a guy come right up to me and shout "YEAHHH!!11!! HAVE THAT YOU LITTLE ****!" right in my face :laugh: but I just laughed because he was a fairly old guy (mid-late thirties) and I was 19.

I play in an organised amateur league and my teammates usually just put both of their arms up in the air and shout "Yeah!" or "Woo!" when they score.

I don't really pay attention to how the guys celly when I'm lining semi pro but yesterday when a guy on the home team scored he gestured towards the fans and put his arms out and then his teammates came over for the usual embrace

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Things I've done recently:

1) fist bumps w/the boys (the usual)
2) "Yeah!"
3) jump-into-a-hug if it's a late game-winner/OT goal
4) arms out / "yeah" / "woo!" on my way to the bench after a shootout winner
5) ride the stick and fist pump the air because we played NHL 12 between games in a tournament and that was the in-game celebration of choice - so we decided that anyone who scored in the finals would have to do that in the actual game :lol:

Stickchecked

Jun 16, 2012
Ottawa, ON
I was on a team where a guy waved/blew a kiss/pointed to his gf, I forget exactly what it was. They were both totally cool so it wasn't obnoxious or anything, he was sort of goofing on himself.

But I was dying to score a goal so I could do the same thing to her. It would have been hilarious but I never scored. :(

I Am Score*

2) "Yeah!"
5) ride the stick and fist pump the air because we played NHL 12 between games in a tournament and that was the in-game celebration of choice - so we decided that anyone who scored in the finals would have to do that in the actual game :lol:

Make sure it's not the opposing player though, if you get my drift. ;)

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
This is all I do:
dmitry-orlov-celebrates-goal.jpg

Basically, my bottom hand on the stick stays where it was when I shot the puck and I just take my top hand off and turn the stick blade up to signify the puck went in. I don't raise my arms or even fist pump or anything. I'll skate over to the whoever made the pass (if anyone) first for a tap and than get the rest of the guys on the ice, if they come near. Otherwise I'll just give them a nod and lineup for the draw.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
I was on a team where a guy waved/blew a kiss/pointed to his gf, I forget exactly what it was. They were both totally cool so it wasn't obnoxious or anything, he was sort of goofing on himself.

But I was dying to score a goal so I could do the same thing to her. It would have been hilarious but I never scored. :(

That would have been hilarious on my team if someone had done it to one of the guys' gf's because we would all have a go on her if we could :laugh:

windycity

Sep 30, 2003
Well duh
Visit site
I do a crazy back and forth dance for about 10 seconds dodging around players, lots of yelling then throw my self against the glass followed by a fast skate and then a superman at center ice. Sometimes I do more . . .

Usually I limit to a "yeah!" and a fist bump with my line mates, if it's big game/big goal I might raise my stick quickly if I'm really pumped but that's it.

Wease

Apr 14, 2007
Powell, OH
One of my favorite celebrations in Drop In (don't play in a league much) is to get a drink from the goalie's water bottle (he's a buddy of mine), then squirt him with it after... :)

CoopALoop

Apr 19, 2012
Van, Bandwagoner

2) "Yeah!"

If you're going to do any video game cele, do this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRnE4lnqRXc

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
As a goalie, cellys are all about timing.

If its a pick up game.
Minimal celly for most goals unless its a great goal, then get as creative as you want. Have fun with it.

If its a league game.
Standard team celly for most goals.
If its a blow out either way, minimal celly,

If its against a rival, anything goes.

Worst thing you can do is do something big celly if you are winning or losing big against a non-rival. You are just embarrassing yourself and your team. Especially if you are going nuts after a goal and you are trailing by 7

vapor11

Aug 15, 2011
I only play pickup but never cele..i like to think it gives me the "I've done this 1000 times" shtick

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Yeah I'm not really the celebrating type but I'm sure I always have a big smile after my occasional goal.

My team on the other hand, this can be a problem occasionally because I play with a bunch of Eastern European guys :laugh:. Now there's nothing ridiculous like what Ovechkin started doing, but the guys can score and have no cultural restraint against cheering when they do so. Usually it's not a problem but every once in a while especially when the score starts getting out of hand in our Don Cherry 'hey kids look at Steve-Y after he scores arms down no smile and straight to the bench, atta boy!' inspired culture some feelings occasionally get hurt and tempers can rise.

I Am Score*

I do a crazy back and forth dance for about 10 seconds dodging around players, lots of yelling then throw my self against the glass followed by a fast skate and then a superman at center ice. Sometimes I do more . . .

Usually I limit to a "yeah!" and a fist bump with my line mates, if it's big game/big goal I might raise my stick quickly if I'm really pumped but that's it.

I hope the first one is a joke. Calm down Evander. ;)

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
I don't get to celebrate as much as I'd like but my rules are:

1. Celebrate if you scored the game-winner or game-tier.
2. Celebrate if you were frustrated after a few bad bounces (only if game is close).
3. Celebrate if you think you scored a pretty nice goal.

Other than that, I think it's better to pretend like you've scored before and not celly at all. Although it's acceptable to celly if your teammate made an amazing play and you or them scored, but you have to go to them or point at them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad