Series Talk: CDSF: Nashville Predators vs Carolina Hurricanes

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Don't disagree with anything in your post and yes, what Hynes and Poile have said were true- no argument there.

But he is the ONLY player that anyone is flat out coming out and saying "he just hasn't been good since coming back" Poile and his "All due respect..." comment. If you start with "all due respect"- then something pretty negative is coming next.

To me, that IS calling him out.

And not to beat a dead horse, but my point continues to be- WHY make those very public comments? They serve no purpose at all.

But, time to move on- he is not in the lineup so let's get ready for game 1....
Because the question was asked. We always get ticked because we hear the same things over and over from players, coaching staff, etc. and then they actually say something and you don't like it and go nuts. There is a reason they always speak in generic terms and give us the same old cliches because when they don't people get up in arms when they hear something they don't like.

I have no doubt Tolvanen is going to get his shot in this series. Whether someone get hurt or someone doesn't perform I don't think he is going to sit on his hands like he did with the guys last year. I'm sure the man is tired of hearing he sucks just as much as anyone does.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Because the question was asked. We always get ticked because we hear the same things over and over from players, coaching staff, etc. and then they actually say something and you don't like it and go nuts. There is a reason they always speak in generic terms and give us the same old cliches because when they don't people get up in arms when they hear something they don't like.

Oh, don't get me wrong- I am always against "coachspeak". Big time

it just seems like in this case it only applied to one guy.

But again, dead horse here- on to game 1- lets get a W

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
That's not the Canes solving anything, he just didn't make the stops. The first Stall goal can not go in on the initial shot. If it goes in on the rebound or pass that's on the guys but he practically gave him the entire top half of the net.

That said Saros gets game 2, the guy earned that.

Reactions: nine_inch_fang

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Many times but we need to do something. Rinne is well-rested and is probably man on a mission.

Canes solved Saros already.

I'm as big a Rinne supporter as anyone but even I think Saros gets one more start. But if he gives up 4 again tomorrow, you gotta give Peks a shot. Not that I believe Hynes will do that as last years play in series showed.

Reactions: bdub24

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
We have to move forward some time. Saros needs the experience, win or lose. Any goalie is going to let in 5 goals with the team playing like they did in front of him. I know we've grown accustomed lately to seeing Saros stand on his head and perform miracles, but it's not realistic to EXPECT that every night. He'd have to start letting in serious beachballs every game before I'd make a goalie switch.

It's not something you mention at ice level, but upstairs the mindset has to be that we keep playing our younger players and getting them the experience they need to help us take another step forward next year. If that means keeping Saros in net while the team gets pummeled in front of him and he lets in 4 or 5 every night, so be it. He got us here, and if we're ever going to get any further than this in the next few years, it's going to be with him in net, not Rinne.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Well, at least our team and the coaching staff gets to see what a true top team in this league looks like.

Lots of areas of improvement for the future. I don't think we were particularly close last night.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I don’t think it’s a crazy idea to start Rinne if Saros struggles again tomorrow night. If you have two goalies playing well coming into the playoffs and one is struggling even moderately then it’s worth giving the other guy a shot. It has worked for a whole lot of Cup winning teams in the past (Crawford/Darling, Murray/Fleury, Grubauer/Holtby) to get out of early rounds they might have otherwise lost even if they eventually went back to the guy who started the playoffs.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
I don’t think it’s a crazy idea to start Rinne if Saros struggles again tomorrow night. If you have two goalies playing well coming into the playoffs and one is struggling even moderately then it’s worth giving the other guy a shot. It has worked for a whole lot of Cup winning teams in the past (Crawford/Darling, Murray/Fleury, Grubauer/Holtby) to get out of early rounds they might have otherwise lost even if they eventually went back to the guy who started the playoffs.
This is my thought process as well. If there is a soft goal at a critical time in game 2, as there was in game 1, pull him and see how Pekka does the rest of the game and let him start game 3 if he performs well.

It can not be understated how critical that second goal for the Canes was at that time of the game, with no real mistake from the defense, that shot can't go in like that.

Reactions: PredsV82

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
We have to move forward some time. Saros needs the experience, win or lose. Any goalie is going to let in 5 goals with the team playing like they did in front of him. I know we've grown accustomed lately to seeing Saros stand on his head and perform miracles, but it's not realistic to EXPECT that every night. He'd have to start letting in serious beachballs every game before I'd make a goalie switch.

It's not something you mention at ice level, but upstairs the mindset has to be that we keep playing our younger players and getting them the experience they need to help us take another step forward next year. If that means keeping Saros in net while the team gets pummeled in front of him and he lets in 4 or 5 every night, so be it. He got us here, and if we're ever going to get any further than this in the next few years, it's going to be with him in net, not Rinne.
You are correct the answer to if Saro's can actually be the starter has got to be answered. He has shown he can string a few wins together but he has also strung a number of losses as well. This will give the front office a answer to whether they need to make changes going forward until Askrov is ready.

This was a clunky game and even when Guido(Forsberg) scored the goal there was not a comfortable feeling that the Canes would not push back and they did.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Here's my self indulgent preferred lineup for next game:

Forsberg-Haula-Tolvanen
Jarnkrok-Granlund-Kunin
Duchene-Johansen-Arvidsson
Trenin-Sissons-Jeannot

Ekholm-Carrier
Josi-Fabbro/Benning
Gubrandson-Ellis

I've liked Haula's game a lot recently so lets put him with some finishers and see what happens.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
Here's my self indulgent preferred lineup for next game:

Forsberg-Haula-Tolvanen
Jarnkrok-Granlund-Kunin
Duchene-Johansen-Arvidsson
Trenin-Sissons-Jeannot

Ekholm-Carrier
Josi-Fabbro/Benning
Gubrandson-Ellis

I've liked Haula's game a lot recently so lets put him with some finishers and see what happens.
Definitely see line blending time for game 2. Granlund’s line was probably the worst of all 4 ES. i would throw them in the blender as well.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Definitely see line blending time for game 2. Granlund’s line was probably the worst of all 4 ES. i would throw them in the blender as well.

I'd at least start with them together. They've been our top line the second half of the season and were great in the penultimate regular season game against Carolina.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
I'd at least start with them together. They've been our top line the second half of the season and were great in the penultimate regular season game against Carolina.
I’m fine with that. They’ve earned another game together but i also could see the justification for breaking them up in a 7 game series.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Here's what I saw last night. Arvidsson is the same player he's basically been for a year and a half. He falls down a lot, turns it over a lot misses most passes and shots. I'd play Grimaldi or Tolvanen over him.

Ellis is clueless. I don't know what happened to him but he's fallen off.

Johansen looked much better offensively not as good defensively. Duchene should be a winger, he forechecks fairly well.

The bottom pairing needs someone that can skate. I don't care who, but they got exposed last night.

Let me add, return the Jeanot to the beast line or whatever it's called. Olivier can fight, but he's not physical on the forecheck like Jeanot. That was the only consistant line, breaking it up was a mistake.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
This is my thought process as well. If there is a soft goal at a critical time in game 2, as there was in game 1, pull him and see how Pekka does the rest of the game and let him start game 3 if he performs well.

It can not be understated how critical that second goal for the Canes was at that time of the game, with no real mistake from the defense, that shot can't go in like that.
You thought there was no real mistake from the defense on that goal? :huh:

They parted like the red sea and let Staal waltz right through them. Saros was flailing and unready for it, but there should never have even been a shot in that scenario.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
You thought there was no real mistake from the defense on that goal? :huh:

They parted like the red sea and let Staal waltz right through them. Saros was flailing and unready for it, but there should never have even been a shot in that scenario.
All things considered. If it's a stretched out off balance flailing shot from the goal line that goes in I put it on the goalie 100 time out of 100 if he isn't covering the post.
Did Josi have a horrible gap? Yes
Did he almost get walked? Almost but didn't completely.
Did Saros come off his post and give up a horrible goal at a horrible time? Most definitely.

Reactions: triggrman

Tysonson3

Feb 20, 2017
Saros should be in the next game and quite frankly he’s earned the right to play the whole series. Some very poor defensive play is the main factor most of the goals against and he still made some absolutely huge saves throughout that game, such as literally seconds before the Nino goal. I’m expecting to see a lot of changes to the lineup throughout the series but a goalie change isn’t going to magically make our power play effective or allow us to make actual zone entries

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Saros should be in the next game and quite frankly he’s earned the right to play the whole series. Some very poor defensive play is the main factor most of the goals against and he still made some absolutely huge saves throughout that game, such as literally seconds before the Nino goal. I’m expecting to see a lot of changes to the lineup throughout the series but a goalie change isn’t going to magically make our power play effective or allow us to make actual zone entries

I'm sorry but Saros has absolutely not earned the right to sit there and shit out 4 goals a night for 4 straight games when we have a veteran with a Vezina in his pocket, extensive playoff experience, and who was starting to play well the second half of the season as well, he just never got a chance to show it.

If Saros gives up 4 or more tomorrow and Hynes sends him back out there for game 3, then I'll be back in the "fire Hynes hes an idiot" camp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad