CDSF: (1) St. Louis Blues vs. (WC1) Minnesota Wild - Part II (Series 3-2 MIN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
Jake Allen has only given up 6 goals through 4 games in this series. Minnesota has gotten 3 empty netters. Gotta feel great about that if you're a Blues fan.

The Blues may have solved their big issues from games 1-3(poor line combos, not going north-south enough, trying to play physical and not skilled hockey) and the Wild really can't score too well when the goalie is in net.

I'm sticking with Blues in 6.

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
I agree 100%. Why is hockey so much different than other sports when it comes to game to game play? For instance, if I'm watching the Cardinals and we lose 10-1 and get outhit 15-2, I don't think "That's it, shut it down. Trade everyone." but when it happens to the Blues, it seems so much worse. I suppose the divergent histories of the two franchises have a lot to do with it, but after game 3, I couldn't help but think these guys had packed it in for the summer. What a long, strange trip an NHL season is.

Has a lot to do with starting pitching. If the Cardinals lose 10-1 and come back with Wainwright or Wacha the next day, you're gonna feel good about your chances. The offense may struggle but you know those guys can hold a team to 0-2 runs with ease.

Hockey doesn't have that same element. You can make a change in net but I don't think it's close to the same. Especially if the starter struggles and you're turning it over to the backup.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
@Russostrib: Yeo mentioned pressure on #stlblues: "they think that they're much better than us & it's our job to prove we're up at that level." #mnwild

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I'm impressed with Yeo. Its hard to believe there were rumors that he may be imminently fired earlier this season. I liked his post-game comments last night. He seems to have a good demeanor for coaching.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I have. His career high in Sv% before this year was .920. That would put him in the lower tier of goalies. But that was his one good year out of five. Last year he was horrendous. His rookie year he was horrendous. In between, he had one decent year and two pretty bad years. I understand he was on an awful team for most of those, but that's our point. He's being buoyed by the team; tonight belied that fact

.920 is low tier? That was 14th among goalies for sav% that year, on a very bad team. He was 24th in sav% in 11-12 on an even worse team that tanked part way through the year. And 22nd in 10-11 on another tank team. These are the sav% leader stats rankings that only include goalies with a reasonable sample size.

Those are all good seasons considering the support he got.

Last edited:

MoPucks

Feb 3, 2009
Stl
Hey now! You're mascot is based off of a type of music that happens to also be a color. And I think the 10,000 missed tackles the Ram's had on Patterson's 67 yard TD run at the Ed-Dumb Barns Dome are whatever you call it more than makes up for the 10,000 puddles!! :naughty:

:handclap: Sweet. Bringing up our lowly football team that is one season away from moving.. Curious, were you old enough to remember Warner hanging 49 points on your Vikings in the NFC divisional game on the way to the super bowl? :D

State of Hockey

Oct 9, 2006
I'm impressed with Yeo. Its hard to believe there were rumors that he may be imminently fired earlier this season. I liked his post-game comments last night. He seems to have a good demeanor for coaching.

When the "performance" you saw last night shows up for a while every year and almost costs the Wild a playoff birth, Yeo is lucky to have his job.

State of Hockey

Oct 9, 2006
I don't think you can put all the blame on Yeo for that one.
No, but you can't fire the whole team in the middle of the season. The perennial swoons are partly on him. A big reason is that his system requires maximum effort. Without it they're sunk.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
There is no way to know this now, but I think Yeo made a big mistake leaving Dubnyk in as long as he did.

You could have made a case after the third goal he should have been pulled, but absolutely he should have gotten him after the 4th goal. It was clearly not his day and leaving him in to get battered is only going to hurt his confidence.

How much it hurts him will be seen tomorrow night. Maybe he bounces back strong (would be fitting for this series.)

Last edited:

Meatwagon

Blues=Overrated
Nov 15, 2010
Bi-polar Express
Hey now! You're mascot is based off of a type of music that happens to also be a color. And I think the 10,000 missed tackles the Ram's had on Patterson's 67 yard TD run at the Ed-Dumb Barns Dome are whatever you call it more than makes up for the 10,000 puddles!! :naughty:

I'm assuming you mean Petterson?

Dude is such a freaking beast, I've never witnessed someone who could break so many tackles with such brute strength and will. When Faulk was here he was a hit and miss type runner, Adrian just straight bowls people over. He's a treat to watch, your're lucky to have him.

Also, a little off topic, was there rumblings of the Vikings actually cutting him this offseason? He has a high cap hit, but the dudes earned every penny of that contract, what's the deal?

Oh and our mascot...my brother and I fondly refer to him as the homeless toilet water polar bear. He always looks disheveled, like a drunkard, but a polar bear that was dunked into a Johnny-on-the-spot. So there's that?

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I'm assuming you mean Petterson?

Dude is such a freaking beast, I've never witnessed someone who could break so many tackles with such brute strength and will. When Faulk was here he was a hit and miss type runner, Adrian just straight bowls people over. He's a treat to watch, your're lucky to have him.

Also, a little off topic, was there rumblings of the Vikings actually cutting him this offseason? He has a high cap hit, but the dudes earned every penny of that contract, what's the deal?

Nah he was right with Cordarelle Patterson. He had like an 80 yard TD run where nobody came close to touching him.

Meatwagon

Blues=Overrated
Nov 15, 2010
Bi-polar Express
There is no way to know this now, but I think Yeo made a big mistake leaving Dubnyk in as long as he did.

You could have made a case after the third goal he should have been pulled, but absolutely he should have gotten him after the 4th goal. It was clearly not his day and leaving him in to get battered is only going to hurt his confidence.

Listening to the radio this morning Terry Yake made a good point about Yeo should have left him in for the rest of the period and switched goalies to start the 3rd. Pulling him like he did with 4 minutes left, kinda showed him up and made Duuuuuuubbbb do the walk a shame in front of the home crowd. For a guy that almost single handily resurrected the Wilds season, one would think he would get the benefit of the doubt and be shown a little more respect by his head coach. Will be interesting to see if he lets in an early goal if he gets happy feet?

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Listening to the radio this morning Terry Yake made a good point about Yeo should have left him in for the rest of the period and switched goalies to start the 3rd. Pulling him like he did with 4 minutes left, kinda showed him up and made Duuuuuuubbbb do the walk a shame in front of the home crowd. For a guy that almost single handily resurrected the Wilds season, one would think he would get the benefit of the doubt and be shown a little more respect by his head coach. Will be interesting to see if he lets in an early goal if he gets happy feet?

Yeah if the Blues get the first goal tomorrow early on, it could be a long night for Dubnyk.

Fun fact about each of the first four games of this series: Not only has the first team to score won each game, they haven't surrendered the lead at all. There have been 0 lead changes this series.

Wild jumped out 2-0 in game 1, won 4-2
Blues jumped out 2-0 in game 2, won 4-1
Wild shut out the Blues 3-0 in game 3.
Blues came out with a 3-0 lead in game 4, won 6-1.

That says something about both teams. Blues get the first goal early tomorrow, it might be downhill fast for Dubs.

Realm

Jun 5, 2005
:handclap: Sweet. Bringing up our lowly football team that is one season away from moving.. Curious, were you old enough to remember Warner hanging 49 points on your Vikings in the NFC divisional game on the way to the super bowl? :D

but but....what about the 87 World Series?

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Yeah if the Blues get the first goal tomorrow early on, it could be a long night for Dubnyk.

Fun fact about each of the first four games of this series: Not only has the first team to score won each game, they haven't surrendered the lead at all. There have been 0 lead changes this series.

Wild jumped out 2-0 in game 1, won 4-2
Blues jumped out 2-0 in game 2, won 4-1
Wild shut out the Blues 3-0 in game 3.
Blues came out with a 3-0 lead in game 4, won 6-1.

That says something about both teams. Blues get the first goal early tomorrow, it might be downhill fast for Dubs.

That is interesting. Both teams very good playing with a lead.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
http://m.startribune.com/sports/blogs/301025101.html “It looks like we've joined the tournament now and we're dialed in,” Hitchcock said. “We've got home-ice back, we're dialed into our game, we're going to be hard to play against when we're dialed in this. Not fun to play against

@NormSanders: Hitch on how good Jake Allen has been: "I've got to tell you, without him in Game 3 we're probably 6-1 the other way." #stlblues #mnwild

Good motivation for both the Wild and Dubnyk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Gold Medal Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,850.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Empoli vs AS Roma
    Empoli vs AS Roma