Series Discussion CDF/WCSF: Dallas Stars vs. St. Louis Blues (Stars eliminated)

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I mean Honka was never going to play at LHD but still Heatherington traveling with the team over him is a really really bad sign . I do hope neither plays a second in the playoffs though.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Imagine being Julius Honka right now lmao

At some point, should I start feeling bad for Julius Honka? It made me chuckle a bit to see Dillon Heatherington has now gotten the nod over him in the depth chart.

Serious question ... how many D would have to get hurt before they considered playing Honka?

Right now the depth after Lovejoy when everyone is healthy seems to be Oleksaik, Hanley, Fedun, Bayreuther, and Heatherington. Gleason isn't even with the team right now as a black ace, but I have to think they'd bring him in before playing Honka. Is that it though or would they go to someone like Hansson (leaving the organization) or Nyberg?

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
It’s gotten to a point where you have to think it’s a disciplinary reason over a playing reason.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Shapiro has mentioned multiple times that Honka is being extremely professional and not moping around. He's indicated they just really have 0 trust in the guy. Doesn't sound like there is a reason to think discipline was the issue.

I got to be honest though .... I didn't think Heatherington would every be an option before Honka. It's kind of hilarious at this point.

Reactions: Kcb12345

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I'd say there's a 0% chance they non-tender him, and there's a 0% chance he's on the NHL roster in October.

They'd waive him in October before just not tendering him an offer without trying to trade him.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Maybe I’ve just got a bad eye for talent or I’m biased because I like the kid, but did he really look that bad when he played? We’ve seen Fedun and Lovejoy look downright brutal, I don’t remember Honka ever looking that bad...

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Honka looked like a small player playing like an even smaller player . He was allways getting pushed around by pretty much everyone even smaller players and he made a ton of mistakes to boot. His advanced stats in sheltered minutes are nice but that never seemed to fit anything.

Hellion

Apr 22, 2019
Watching this series from Norway is great:
You can get day drunk, take a nap, then watch the games and have more brews

Reactions: Kipper 17

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
I really think St Louis threw EVERYTHING physically at Dallas in he first period and last 10 min of the 3rd.

Must be gut wrecnhing for them to have lost.

To have to back up in basically 1.5 days, hoping they come out flat and we capitalise.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Honka looked like a small player playing like an even smaller player . He was allways getting pushed around by pretty much everyone even smaller players and he made a ton of mistakes to boot. His advanced stats in sheltered minutes are nice but that never seemed to fit anything.
For him to be an every day player, he needs to produce offense, and he doesn't.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
For him to be an every day player, he needs to produce offense, and he doesn't.

Well that too or at least not also be a liability in his own end. You can't have an offensive defenseman who can't produce on offense and is bad on defense.

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH
Shapiro has mentioned multiple times that Honka is being extremely professional and not moping around. He's indicated they just really have 0 trust in the guy. Doesn't sound like there is a reason to think discipline was the issue.

I got to be honest though .... I didn't think Heatherington would every be an option before Honka. It's kind of hilarious at this point.
They really should have waived Honka this season. He's such damaged goods I think there's no chance another team takes him, and Texas really could have used him down the stretch, he's definitely a good AHL d-man. I know Nill doesn't like to lose guys for nothing, but not playing him at all is basically losing him for nothing.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Well that too or at least not also be a liability in his own end. You can't have an offensive defenseman who can't produce on offense and is bad on defense.
For sure. Even if he was a liability, he'd be playing if he was a 40+ point guy. But as a four point guy, he's getting no leash.

Reactions: serp

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
They really should have waived Honka this season. He's such damaged goods I think there's no chance another team takes him, and Texas really could have used him down the stretch, he's definitely a good AHL d-man. I know Nill doesn't like to lose guys for nothing, but not playing him at all is basically losing him for nothing.

He did waive Nemeth for nothing. I guess he wasn't "his" guy, so it was okay.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
After watching Razor’s interview with Lovejoy, I have no doubt in my mind he’ll be a coach one day.

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH
He did waive Nemeth for nothing. I guess he wasn't "his" guy, so it was okay.
Yeah, true. Imagine how different the trajectory of this team would have been if he did the rumored Honka for Talbot trade instead? Yeah we wouldn't have Bishop, but wouldn't have had Niemi either, maybe we actually make it further in the playoffs in 15-16... Maybe we don't miss in 16-17.

Kipper 17

Aug 11, 2006
Calgary, AB
Pretty shocked by how many Blues fans on the main board don’t think their team put in a good effort. They were flying and hitting everything that moved in the first period. They didn’t keep it up the whole game but that’s basically impossible. I get why they’re frustrated but to watch that game and think the Blues were not trying is difficult to understand.

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
Pretty shocked by how many Blues fans on the main board don’t think their team put in a good effort. They were flying and hitting everything that moved in the first period. They didn’t keep it up the whole game but that’s basically impossible. I get why they’re frustrated but to watch that game and think the Blues were not trying is difficult to understand.
People always equate losing to not trying. After any loss, even if it’s 2OT of game 7, you’ll see some idiot with the brilliant take of, “They just didn’t want it enough.” Or, “They wanted it more,” or, “An effort like that isn’t enough.”
No one wants to admit that when the other guy/team is better it can knock you off your game and the optics aren’t pretty.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad