Series Discussion CDF/WCSF: Dallas Stars vs. St. Louis Blues (Stars eliminated)

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I know Hanley and Oleksiak are still hurt but why is Fedun in ? He has been terrible every game in the playoffs . Just play Heatherington again. He at least can trade some punches in between whistles with Maroon and has been doing ok in game 5.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Hoping for gamesmanship on the #6 defenseman and Fedun is not playing. Has happened before this postseason.

RefalancheStillLose

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Christ, the Stars are a win way from the conference finals, and you are talking like this team should be sellers at the deadline.

For the love of God, don't you enjoy this? Don't you want more of this? What's wrong with you that you're treating this like something horrible that should be avoided?
I've resigned this team to its fate Tonight is the last game of the season. I'm mentally prepared for that. This season by any scope is a massive success, they made the PO against expectations and are 1 game away from a wcf birth, again against expectations. But we're talking about next season not this season. And we've seen this exact scene play out already in 2016, followed by our worst season in what 20yrs, and everybody is diluted to the point that we're somehow long term contenders

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I've resigned this team to its fate Tonight is the last game of the season. I'm mentally prepared for that. This season by any scope is a massive success, they made the PO against expectations and are 1 game away from a wcf birth, again against expectations. But we're talking about next season not this season. And we've seen this exact scene play out already in 2016, followed by our worst season in what 20yrs, and everybody is diluted to the point that we're somehow long term contenders

After the 2016 playoffs the FO made the , correct by the way , decision to let the #2 #3 and #4 defenseman on the team leave in unrestricted free Agency and that massively impacted the next two seasons . Thats not gonna happen this year. Stars roster no matter what happens will not change significantly for next season . Depth position will change but thats it.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Nothing is promised in the future , for any team . They keep talking about momentum not carrying over game to game but it’s the same season to season . They need to take advantage of this opportunity , who knows when they will be in this position again .

RefalancheStillLose

irreverent
May 24, 2014
After the 2016 playoffs the FO made the , correct by the way , decision to let the #2 #3 and #4 defenseman on the team leave in unrestricted free Agency and that massively impacted the next two seasons . Thats not gonna happen this year. Stars roster no matter what happens will not change significantly for next season . Depth position will change but thats it.
No they made the very incorrect decision to roll with Lehtonen and Neimi after they had just shit the bed in the PO, and were garbage for most of the season "but 25wins"

serp

Jan 17, 2016
No they made the very incorrect decision to roll with Lehtonen and Neimi after they had just **** the bed in the PO, and were garbage for most of the season "but 25wins"

That was a problem too but the contracts at that point had been to move and with 2 years remaining buying out both would've been really dumb. They did also completely rebuild the defense. Let 3 guys go , re-signed Jordie and signed Hamhuis. That defense was a huge downgrade . Yes goaltending sucked but in 16/17 there wasn't much of a fix for that. The last quick fix was Niemi together with Kari which was not a good idea.

RefalancheStillLose

irreverent
May 24, 2014
That was a problem too but the contracts at that point had been to move and with 2 years remaining buying out both would've been really dumb. They did also completely rebuild the defense. Let 3 guys go , re-signed Jordie and signed Hamhuis. That defense was a huge downgrade . Yes goaltending sucked but in 16/17 there wasn't much of a fix for that. The last quick fix was Niemi together with Kari which was not a good idea.
Losing Goligoski hurt, Hamhuis was an upgrade on Demers and Russel sucked. it wasn't some huge downgrade, especially with Lindell coming in.
But Yes Goligoski hurt, the other two, not so much

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Losing Goligoski hurt, Hamhuis was an upgrade on Demers and Russel sucked. it wasn't some huge downgrade, especially with Lindell coming in.

Losing Demers and Russell hurt in the first season . Lindell clearly needed some time to adjust to the NHL level and played way too much in his first year for how much he struggled ( it did help longterm but that first year he was not good ) . Demers and Russell weren't all that good but an upgrade over what we had going into 16/17. Hamhuis was ok in his two years here . Not great. Clearly at best a #3-#5 at that point when he signed here.

LT

XXXX - XXXX - ____ - ____
Jul 23, 2010

Demers was actually good for us. Russell sucked. Oduya was decent as well, he seems to get lost in the fray.

Lindell took a while to get to where he is now. He wasn't really a difference maker early in his career.

The defense was good enough to make the goaltending look good. When the defense disappeared, so did the quality goaltending.

Sharp's rapid decline was also a major loss, as well as Spezza taking a step back (especially in goal scoring).

There was a whole mess of reasons for that team to suddenly decline. That team also had virtually no young contributors like today's team does. I don't really see the same issues occurring. I don't think these kinds of runs should be expected in the future, but the team should expect to be a playoff team for the foreseeable future. And as we're clearly seeing this year, all you've got to do is make the dance and you could end up stealing the show.

And like you said, even if we do keep the 1st, it's not as though we're likely to do anything useful with it. Why not toss it to give us a better shot at winning while we might have an open window? Benn and Radulov could fall off a cliff at any moment (although I disagree), that's fair, but that means we should try even harder to win now instead of selling off, starting over, and simply hoping to get players who are even half as good as prime Benn and Seguin and co.

Additionally, I'm really trying to just be more positive about the game in general. It's all supposed to be for fun (for most everyone). Our opinions and thoughts have virtually no effect on the end result. So why not enjoy it? Why be negative and let it ruin your mood? I'm trying to just enjoy the positives and roll with the negatives. It's more fun that way.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Demers was actually good for us. Russell sucked. Oduya was decent as well, he seems to get lost in the fray.

Lindell took a while to get to where he is now. He wasn't really a difference maker early in his career.

The defense was good enough to make the goaltending look good. When the defense disappeared, so did the quality goaltending.

Sharp's rapid decline was also a major loss, as well as Spezza taking a step back (especially in goal scoring).

There was a whole mess of reasons for that team to suddenly decline. That team also had virtually no young contributors like today's team does. I don't really see the same issues occurring. I don't think these kinds of runs should be expected in the future, but the team should expect to be a playoff team for the foreseeable future. And as we're clearly seeing this year, all you've got to do is make the dance and you could end up stealing the show.

And like you said, even if we do keep the 1st, it's not as though we're likely to do anything useful with it. Why not toss it to give us a better shot at winning while we might have an open window? Benn and Radulov could fall off a cliff at any moment (although I disagree), that's fair, but that means we should try even harder to win now instead of selling off, starting over, and simply hoping to get players who are even half as good as prime Benn and Seguin and co.

Additionally, I'm really trying to just be more positive about the game in general. It's all supposed to be for fun (for most everyone). Our opinions and thoughts have virtually no effect on the end result. So why not enjoy it? Why be negative and let it ruin your mood? I'm trying to just enjoy the positives and roll with the negatives. It's more fun that way.

Oduya was still around in 16/17 though but he really declined in his second season then got injured and we traded that injured player for a 5th back to the Hawks i think.

LT

XXXX - XXXX - ____ - ____
Jul 23, 2010
Oduya was still around in 16/17 though but he really declined in his second season then got injured and we traded that injured player for a 5th back to the Hawks i think.

Yea, but he also declined suddenly after that season. Slot him in with Sharp and Spezza there.

RefalancheStillLose

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Losing Demers and Russell hurt in the first season . Lindell clearly needed some time to adjust to the NHL level and played way too much in his first year for how much he struggled ( it did help longterm but that first year he was not good ) . Demers and Russell weren't all that good but an upgrade over what we had going into 16/17. Hamhuis was ok in his two years here . Not great. Clearly at best a #3-#5 at that point when he signed here.
Yeah 11game Kris Russel was some huge loss. Lindell first year play was on par with Russells, i'd say better but that is me, at the worst in the same ballpark.
Goligoski was the only defenseman that we lost that hurt this team.

Oduya was here the next year so it doesn't really apply
Nobody is arguing that
Russel has always been garbage, Lindell now is 100x better than Russel ever dreamed of being.
Lindell as a rookie was just as good as Russel, except for at blocking shots, because that is all Russel can do. He routinely gets caved in on the ice but he makes an excellent 2nd goalie.
I'd say by the last 11games(and obviously sooner) but the extent of Russel reg season Dallas career Lindell as a rookie was much better than Russel ever was for us (reg and PO combined)

We weren't talking about forwards declining, we were talking about the quality (or lack thereof) of defenseman the 16 team lost.
Decline cannot be known from one season to the next, but gets more likely with age, hence why I'm against (and i like Zucarello) re-signing a 32yr old at the cost of an unprotected 1st, especially with all the holes on this team. Benn seems to be into decline already i don't expect Vezina quality goaltending from Bishop (or even a healthy year) next year, nor do i expect Radulov to be a PpG player again. I don't see signing Zucarello fixing that, even if he himself doesn't start to show signs of "age"

the 2016 team lost a #2(Goligoski), a borderline 3(demers) and a #6 (Russel) even if you think russel was better than a #6, he was at best a #5(behind Kling, Goligoski, Oduya, Demers)
they were replaced with a #3, and a #6 that grew to be the 2nd most used defenseman by the end of the season and I'd say ended the season as a borderline #3-4.
They also had Stephen Johns that year (his first year) who was solid in his games limited(60ish) as they were who wasn't a big step down from Russel

RefalancheStillLose

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Regardless it is now game time, time to shelve this for a later date/time. Going to try and enjoy what i expect to be our last game this season

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Great series. If Cogliano parks that puck, you'd be in the final 4. Don't be too hard on him for missing it. He's a good player / kid.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Besides the first round puck being saved, I also get out of paying $336 per game the next round, and $672 per game for 2 seats in the finals.

Can't believe they didn't play better tonight, but thanks to Bishop they kept it closer than 3 years ago.

Questions on mental toughness of Benn and others sure to arise.

At least no false hope as to how good Stars are heading into offseason.....

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad