CCHL 2012-2013 season - part III

CoasttoCoast

Jul 3, 2012
I was actually thinking the same thing, I think it will turn into a 17 year old dominated league, because you would pay that to play Major Midget AAA. Your top line players may pay that in hopes of the scholly to NCAA, but older guys WILL NOT pay that if they may get ten shifts a game. Imagine how much complaining will come from the parents when little Johnny gets 3 shifts a game,or doesnt dress.

The on ice product will suffer dramatically in my opinion.

--Like I said before, everything changes.
18-19 yr. old americans will come and play.
Rich 16-17 yr. olds will continue to play, like it is a extension of minor hockey (without the fair play rules and protection of minor hockey)
If you are a eastern ontario product, who is broke or over 18, good luck finding a place to play.
Oh wait a minute, the rich clubs can pay the fee for the top kid's, guess were the top kids are going to play?!?!
The poor teams will develop players for the rich teams, the poor teams will be better off financially, but be worse off on the ice. The owners can choose to pay the kid's fees, and be competitive but then they are right back to where they started.
I understand the business model, I beleive they can get more money from the parents but the the rich teams should not be able pay for the players and they should phase it in, if they phased it in over 3-5 years, it would be accepted without much disruption.
As far as 5, 16-17 yr. olds. If you want to be competive at the RBC Cup and Fred Page Cup, you need to have the maximum of 7 20 yr. olds on your team plus 18 & 19 yr. olds. Unless of course you change the rules across the country.
IMO

BackBringCam

Nov 14, 2005
Kemptville
--Like I said before, everything changes.
18-19 yr. old americans will come and play.
Rich 16-17 yr. olds will continue to play, like it is a extension of minor hockey (without the fair play rules and protection of minor hockey)
If you are a eastern ontario product, who is broke or over 18, good luck finding a place to play.
Oh wait a minute, the rich clubs can pay the fee for the top kid's, guess were the top kids are going to play?!?!
The poor teams will develop players for the rich teams, the poor teams will be better off financially, but be worse off on the ice. The owners can choose to pay the kid's fees, and be competitive but then they are right back to where they started.
I understand the business model, I beleive they can get more money from the parents but the the rich teams should not be able pay for the players and they should phase it in, if they phased it in over 3-5 years, it would be accepted without much disruption.
As far as 5, 16-17 yr. olds. If you want to be competive at the RBC Cup and Fred Page Cup, you need to have the maximum of 7 20 yr. olds on your team plus 18 & 19 yr. olds. Unless of course you change the rules across the country.
IMO
Good post

oldnucks

Oct 19, 2011
Predictions for tonight? any upsets? I think hawks and grads pull them off and plk will take it over braves.

Bockwinkel

Jan 12, 2013
Predictions for tonight? any upsets? I think hawks and grads pull them off and plk will take it over braves.

Travel could be a problem for teams like the Bears and Lumber Kings driving a fair distance through the wnter storm.

Nepean 7 Kemptville 2
Brockville 4 Pembroke 2
Kanata 6 Grads 3
Hawkesbury 3 Smiths Falls 2 (ot or s/o)
CP 5 Gloucester 1

ZebraCritic

Nov 29, 2011
Travel could be a problem for teams like the Bears and Lumber Kings driving a fair distance through the wnter storm.

Nepean 7 Kemptville 2
Brockville 4 Pembroke 2
Kanata 6 Grads 3
Hawkesbury 3 Smiths Falls 2 (ot or s/o)
CP 5 Gloucester 1

I agree with the majority of your predictions. How long will that bus ride home be for SF's if they lose to Hawks tonight, which I think they will.

Same goes for PLK....and I can't see them beating the Braves at home the way they have been playing as of late!

Only switch I would make, would be the Grads over Kanata. Kanata is realing and I see the Grads taking a high scoring affair 6-5.

Nepean and CP are just to strong for the respective teams they are playing tonight. I think it will closer in CP....4-2 and a blow out in Nepean 9-1.

BadgerKnight

Sep 4, 2008
Any cancelled Games?

The OJHL have cancelled 7/8 games for Friday night. The only game to be played involves two teams that are very close to one another (Milton/Burlington).
http://ojhl.pointstreaksites.com/view/ojhl/news-21/news_66042

It appears that OHL games are still scheduled though Brampton departed at 9 am to drive to Sudbury, a 350 km drive, maybe 5 hrs in good conditions.

Not only are all of the roads heavily covered in snow, the closer one gets to the St. Lawrence, visibility is impaired & including Hwy. 34 into Hawkesbury.

Ottawa Guy

May 4, 2009
Hawks vs SF game cancelled

Nepean vs Kemptville cancelled......probably the two teams closest geographically of all the games tonight

Last edited:

ottawafan66

May 14, 2010
Hawks vs SF game cancelled

Nepean vs Kemptville cancelled......probably the two teams closest geographically of all the games tonight

Yet Pembroke can make the 230 km drive to Brockville. They'll basically drive through Nepean and past Kemptville to get there.

hockeylifer

Jan 25, 2013
It is just hockey! The Pembroke team takes a bus and the Nepean team have to drive themselves, do you really think hockey is worth risking these boys' lives on dangerous roads? At 4:00 p.m. today I saw cars in ditches and almost got hit twice by cars spinning out on the 416. The game can easily be rescheduled.
Not to mention that the OHL cancelled all but 1 of their games tonight and the EOJBHL cancelled all their games.

BadgerKnight

Sep 4, 2008
It's Only A Hockey Game

It is just hockey! The Pembroke team takes a bus and the Nepean team have to drive themselves, do you really think hockey is worth risking these boys' lives on dangerous roads? At 4:00 p.m. today I saw cars in ditches and almost got hit twice by cars spinning out on the 416. The game can easily be rescheduled.
Not to mention that the OHL cancelled all but 1 of their games tonight and the EOJBHL cancelled all their games.

Remembering victims of the 1986 Swift Current Broncos bus crash
http://www.thehockeynews.com/articl...the-1986-Swift-Current-Broncos-bus-crash.html

newfan

Jun 6, 2009
Laforest

I see Laforest was # 1 star in the Gloucester/CP game last night?

Do his OHL rights still belong to Niagara?

Is he planning on staying in CP or is there any chance he plays for Niagara?

Kings87

Sep 20, 2012

Actually, only 2 of 9 OHL games were postponed Friday night - Windsor at Ottawa and Belleville at Kingston.

CVG

Jun 4, 2009
A big hit by Ghantous on Rowe skating with his head down last night : http://cjhlsite.stats.pointstreak.com/watch.html?leagueid=349&clipid=50918#.URZ8QoOsJy0.twitter

Surprised it was not called as an elbow or charge (left his feet) but a nice hit just the same. Also give Rowe credit for jumping right back up.

Elbow tight to body, all shoulder, 1 foot comes off ice after Elie drives threw his man.....Text Book, Surprised Rosebrook didn't get called for the Cross Check retaliating after the hit, but I guess you don't see that through your NICHOL colored glasses

Rangersfan21

Sep 17, 2011
Laforest

If he got offered a great package I am sure he would play in the OHL...most kids would?

Ottawa Guy

May 4, 2009
Elbow tight to body, all shoulder, 1 foot comes off ice after Elie drives threw his man.....Text Book, Surprised Rosebrook didn't get called for the Cross Check retaliating after the hit, but I guess you don't see that through your NICHOL colored glasses

I actually agree it was a good check, the high elbow was on the follow through and he went off his feet after the hit, but knowing the calibre of reffing in the league I would have expected one of those two calls, probably should hae explained further...seen far worse calls.

Last edited:

upinarms

Jul 16, 2010
Laforest

Not sure of goalie status in Niagara for next season although they did draft Morin last year who is a year younger than Laforest and is property of the SF Bears. Laforest needs out of CP or he will be buried behind Oneil again next season. That is of course if Oneil plays decent in playoffs. If not he will be gone for someone else. Top teams in CCHL seem to bring in older goalies. As if local ones are meant to be back ups. I am saying in most cases not all cases. If the local kids were given a chance they would probably be as good within time.

ZebraCritic

Nov 29, 2011
A big hit by Ghantous on Rowe skating with his head down last night : http://cjhlsite.stats.pointstreak.com/watch.html?leagueid=349&clipid=50918#.URZ8QoOsJy0.twitter

Surprised it was not called as an elbow or charge (left his feet) but a nice hit just the same. Also give Rowe credit for jumping right back up.

Please tell me you aren't involved with any aspect of a hockey program? This hit and subsequent goal was blasted all over twitter yesterday and I must say that in an age where we are trying to take the "Big Hit" out of the game this coud have been the nicest hit I have seen in years. Rowe comes up the boards ( with his head down looking at the puck) and CP's Ghantous delivers, with his arm in tight to his chest, a shoulder to chest hit, that should be used by coaches on how to through a proper body check!

His elbow came no where near Rowes body and he lifted one foot off the ground due to the inertia of the hit. When 210 lbs meets 175 lbs traveling at 20 mph, there is bound to be some transfer of force and thus a loss of balance.

Your comments are as asanine as they come and your attempt to cover your lack of knowledge a few posts later were feeble at best.

Please go find a post that you can discuss knitting or quilting or something that more suites your abilities....The Refs got this one right and it was a thing of beauty to watch. I will agree with one comment you made. Good on Rowe to bounce up and make it his way back to the bench. That can't be said on the other 4 of his teammates, who in turn did nothing but watch a beauty of a passing play on the goal that followed.

Ottawa Guy

May 4, 2009
Zebracritic, if you read my second post on the subject you will see where I clarify which basically agrees with what you. I have seen too many times where it seems the refs are just looking to call a penalty on a big collision, deserving or not. With a name like yours I would think you would have seen those types of calls. I know we rarely agree on stuff but in this case we actually had a similar point of view.

Rangersfan21

Sep 17, 2011
Colts 43-9 shots mid way thru 2nd IN Kemptville...home town shot count?....

Try attending a Home Colts game before speculating home town shot counts...:yo:

I have attended multiple colts home games and the shots do always seem exaggerated.

Looks like CP should be the favourite to win at this point! They have been on a roll lately.

oldnucks

Oct 19, 2011
I have attended multiple colts home games and the shots do always seem exaggerated.

Looks like CP should be the favourite to win at this point! They have been on a roll lately.

6 out of their last 8 have been gloucester, kemptville, and kanata. Smith falls haven't been a top team either so canadians have had a really easy schedule in the last couple of weeks. We'll see if they can keep it going when the level of competition raises as they have a tougher schedule in the last games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad