CCHL 2012-2013 season - part III

hurricane11

Oct 12, 2012
When they lost to gloucester they had a 2-0 lead and last year they were one of the favorites and went out in the first round. As for the scholarships some of them are from being developed in CP others are pretty much buying players that were destined to land them anyways.

JC has done good with CP but some of the love on here for them is borderline creepy.

overtheboards

Oct 24, 2010
I would agree that CP has been an on-ice success story for it's 4 seasons in the league. Regarding the question of why you would not want your kid there has more to do with JC's coaching style, it is not for everyone, he is loud and in your face, not every player will thrive in that situation, which is probably part of the reason there has been a lot of turnover in previous seasons.

You're a kville fan or have a kid on that team and how is it @ the bottom of the standings year after year with no coaching ?
The players love it how he coaches because it motivates and they use his energy and passion out on the ice and the 1s that dont , get traded to places like kville and gloucester where there's no coaching , the kids complain about not being well coached and the owners are there just take the money from the parents and run a gong show program . Its because of teams like cumberland , gloucester , kville and kanata that the league next year will charge thousands of dollars for kids too play . Will you pay $2500 - $5000 too play on those 4 teams and have your owner cancel 2/3 of your practices @ the end of the year ?

Ottawa Guy

May 4, 2009
You're a kville fan or have a kid on that team and how is it @ the bottom of the standings year after year with no coaching ?
The players love it how he coaches because it motivates and they use his energy and passion out on the ice and the 1s that dont , get traded to places like kville and gloucester where there's no coaching , the kids complain about not being well coached and the owners are there just take the money from the parents and run a gong show program . Its because of teams like cumberland , gloucester , kville and kanata that the league next year will charge thousands of dollars for kids too play . Will you pay $2500 - $5000 too play on those 4 teams and have your owner cancel 2/3 of your practices @ the end of the year ?

I attend more Kemptville games than any other since I live close to the rink (used to go to a lot of Brockville games also), but also go to 5 or 10 Nepean and Kanata home games during the season, since they are midweek and only a short drive. I do not have a child on any of those teams but I do enjoy watching Junior A hockey. Am I frustrated at time watching the 73's lose, of course I am but I still go and watch.

I never said that JC was not successful, in fact I agreed they were an on-ice success story, what I said was that his style is not for everyone and that could be why some players would not want to go there. As I have said before I am not a big fan of the profanity that comes from the bench either during games.

I am not sure which team cancels 2/3 of the practices but I know Kemptville does not, in fact you can link to a file that shows their practice schedule on their website, they seem to be the only team that shows this info.

I would think that all the City teams, including Nepean and Ottawa would be happy to get extra revenue since the crowds they get certainly do not cover the costs they incur. In fact I heard that the vote to increase fees was unananimous across the league and agreed to by all the teams, even those with larger fan bases. Personally I am not sure it is the best move, but in the end it is up to the owners and only time will tell if it works out or not.

Last edited:

gusfring

Jul 4, 2006
When they lost to gloucester they had a 2-0 lead and last year they were one of the favorites and went out in the first round. As for the scholarships some of them are from being developed in CP others are pretty much buying players that were destined to land them anyways.

JC has done good with CP but some of the love on here for them is borderline creepy.

I agree. Larry Smith and Globke would have had scholarships regardless of where they went.

BackBringCam

Nov 14, 2005
Kemptville

I'd like to see your link or proof of that occuring with all 4 teams you mention. If you have no proof, then perhaps keep it to yourself. If I had a son and hated him and wanted him to be humiliated and intimidated verbally by a grown man for having a bad shift, I'd be bending over backwards to get him in CP. JC goes over the line, not saying he is not a good hockey man, but the days of treating players and talking to them the way he does are over.

Last edited:

overtheboards

Oct 24, 2010
ask the gloucester players how many practices they've had lately and this whole thing about having the kids pay thousands of dollars too play is because the city teams and kville are loosing money and the owners of those teams are tired of that . The reason they are is because its either a daddy owning the team and doing everything for his kid too play more than he should be or bad ownership that employs bad coaches so they can be on the bench .
CP is he only team in the league with a good pre-game show with lights and video board
Only team that has a team bus

BackBringCam

Nov 14, 2005
Kemptville
OK, so what are the 4 teams you named charging the kids compared to CP? You did mention 4 teams.
Great to see an effort in CP for a pre-game show, but that does not take away from the behaviour of the guy on the bench and in the dressing room, speaking of which, I don't think they have their own room either (You are bringing up bus' and disco lights as criteria for going there)
I'd give up the disco lights and a personal bus (why would most city teams buy a bus when they only use it for PLK, HH, CC, SF and BB road games?) for a coach that treats KIDS as human beings. Just my opinion

Last edited:

overtheboards

Oct 24, 2010
OK, so what are the 4 teams you named charging the kids compared to CP? You did mention 4 teams.
Great to see an effort in CP for a pre-game show, but that does not take away from the behaviour of the guy on the bench and in the dressing room.
I'd give up the disco lights and a personal bus (why would most city teams buy a bus when they only use it for PLK, HH, CC, SF and BB road games?) for a coach that treats KIDS as human beings. Just my opinion

You think Jennings treat kids like a human being ? look on pointstreak @ the teams inactive list and youll see that CP has had the fewest players traded / release or quit . Only 5 players were traded or released compared to some teams that have well over 20 and the league average is 15 . Only Seatter asked to be traded and thats because he didnt like JC ways and what have people said on here about that kid since he's been traded to kville , that he looks like a big baby on the ice when things dont go his way .

Ottawa Guy

May 4, 2009
ask the gloucester players how many practices they've had lately and this whole thing about having the kids pay thousands of dollars too play is because the city teams and kville are loosing money and the owners of those teams are tired of that . The reason they are is because its either a daddy owning the team and doing everything for his kid too play more than he should be or bad ownership that employs bad coaches so they can be on the bench .
CP is he only team in the league with a good pre-game show with lights and video board

If it is about too many teams losing money then so be it. Even Ottawa, who is having a great season, and Nepean who went to FPC last year can not generate enough revenues to break even, something has to give, otherwise Junior A will start to lose teams. Based upon discussions I had with a couple of GM's I understand that the whole concept started up in discussions between the OJHL and CCHL presidents. The OJHL has the same issues and in some markets it does not matter whether you are successful or not. Hockey is an expensive sport and with the US leagues charging $5k plus the Ontario leagues are wondering why they can not charge more.

You certainly have some built up anger, got to think you have a personal connection somehow to those two teams..... So based upon your statement above it is only Gloucester reducing practice time not all 4 teams you mentioned previously.

Not sure how a bus is relevant. CP has their own bus because they also have it contracted out to a third party during the day. Kudos to CP finding a way to make it work but those opportunities are not available to all the teams. A team bus is not financially viable when you only use it once or twice a week, there are even Major Junior teams that do not own their own bus. Buses need a lot more use than what a hockey team uses it to even breakeven, purchase price and operating costs are huge. Most teams only need a bus for 8-10 trips per season since the various rinks are so close and the drive to your home rink is about the same as the drive to your opponents rinks for many of the players. Not sure a pull down screen with a projector is a "video board" but I do think the effort put forth is a good thing.

I am not a huge fan of parent ownership but if they are the only ones willing to put up the money then that is the way it is, not many people have $150 to $300k to invest in a hockey team. Brockville, Cornwall, Hawkesbury, Kemptville and Nepean all have some level of parent ownership, some have been successful and some have not.

Last edited:

ottawafan66

May 14, 2010
If it is about too many teams losing money then so be it. Even Ottawa, who is having a great season, and Nepean who went to FPC last year can not generate enough revenues to break even, something has to give, otherwise Junior A will start to lose teams. Based upon discussions I had with a couple of GM's I understand that the whole concept started up in discussions between the OJHL and CCHL presidents. The OJHL has the same issues and in some markets it does not matter whether you are successful or not. Hockey is an expensive sport and with the US leagues charging $5k plus the Ontario leagues are wondering why they can not charge more.

You certainly have some built up anger, got to think you have a personal connection somehow to those two teams..... So based upon your statement above it is only Gloucester reducing practice time not all 4 teams you mentioned previously.

Not sure how a bus is relevant. CP has their own bus because they also have it contracted out to a third party during the day. Kudos to CP finding a way to make it work but those opportunities are not available to all the teams. A team bus is not financially viable when you only use it once or twice a week, there are even Major Junior teams that do not own their own bus. Buses need a lot more use than what a hockey team uses it to even breakeven, purchase price and operating costs are huge. Most teams only need a bus for 8-10 trips per season since the various rinks are so close and the drive to your home rink is about the same as the drive to your opponents rinks for many of the players. Not sure a pull down screen with a projector is a "video board" but I do think the effort put forth is a good thing.

I am not a huge fan of parent ownership but if they are the only ones willing to put up the money then that is the way it is, not many people have $150 to $300k to invest in a hockey team. Brockville, Cornwall, Hawkesbury, Kemptville and Nepean all have some level of parent ownership, some have been successful and some have not.

Which US leagues charge this kind of money? The NAHL has no player fee, as per their website.

Sounds like you're also connected to CP. And I believe their bus was donated by Cavanagh Construction. Also, CP takes their bus to all away games except SF, Kanata and Nepean.

I tend to agree with your views on parent ownership. Would these places have teams without them? However, if I was a player/goalie on one of these teams, I probably wouldn't be happy about it.

Farm team scout

Jan 14, 2013
Does anyone actually think the average 18,19,20 year old is going to pay that much money for league fees and bus passes and room and board this league will be watered down and only for spoiled rich kids

Ottawa Guy

May 4, 2009
Which US leagues charge this kind of money? The NAHL has no player fee, as per their website.

Sounds like you're also connected to CP. And I believe their bus was donated by Cavanagh Construction. Also, CP takes their bus to all away games except SF, Kanata and Nepean.

I tend to agree with your views on parent ownership. Would these places have teams without them? However, if I was a player/goalie on one of these teams, I probably wouldn't be happy about it.

East Coast US leagues charge up to $5k to play (EJHL, AJHL...)

EasternOntario Fan

Mar 21, 2012
Does anyone actually think the average 18,19,20 year old is going to pay that much money for league fees and bus passes and room and board this league will be watered down and only for spoiled rich kids

I was actually thinking the same thing, I think it will turn into a 17 year old dominated league, because you would pay that to play Major Midget AAA. Your top line players may pay that in hopes of the scholly to NCAA, but older guys WILL NOT pay that if they may get ten shifts a game. Imagine how much complaining will come from the parents when little Johnny gets 3 shifts a game,or doesnt dress.

The on ice product will suffer dramatically in my opinion.

Rangersfan21

Sep 17, 2011

Its great they have a team bus and all...but I am sure the majority of players would rather ride in a coach bus? Which about half the league does...

The way that JC has been able to put a successful team together so quickly is a result of hardwork recruiting players. He is a great manager, owner and maybe coach. His teams have historically struggled down the stretch and often seem to give up on him. This year is looking different but we will have to wait and see

BackBringCam

Nov 14, 2005
Kemptville

You avoided the questions I asked based on the claims you've made. I'd appreciate a response as you were very specific

BackBringCam

Nov 14, 2005
Kemptville
Yes league fees are approx 900 dollars for everyone, I have not heard of any of the four teams mentioned by you know who in an earlier post charging thousands as he indicated, though I have no proof of it, he did make a pretty specific charge, I am hoping he clarifies for us all.

hardfacts

Jan 18, 2012
Here are the hardfacts on cp....JC has won nothing....JC has moved alot of players on which is good or the league...his coacing style ( swearing on bench loud or intimidating players) everyone complains about it....here is a news flash....guy who won league 5 times was like that...nobody says anything because he WON..something JC has not done...

So you lovers...stop...we get it...he runs a good program that has not WON....you haters...sound like guys who kids JC cut..or guys from programs who cant move players on...

SK...was a tirent...but he won....he is also winning at the OHL ....when you WIN...nobody can judge your style..

LETS MOVE ONTO ANOTHER TOPIC!!!

hardfacts

Jan 18, 2012
Heres a new topic.......Nepean goaltending contraversy....who is the number one?

ottawafan66

May 14, 2010
Heres a new topic.......Nepean goaltending contraversy....who is the number one?

Has to be Mulder. He's started 8 games since Christmas and won 7 of them. Zawadski has started 4 games since the break and has only won 1.

valleydude

Mar 16, 2011
I was actually thinking the same thing, I think it will turn into a 17 year old dominated league, because you would pay that to play Major Midget AAA. Your top line players may pay that in hopes of the scholly to NCAA, but older guys WILL NOT pay that if they may get ten shifts a game. Imagine how much complaining will come from the parents when little Johnny gets 3 shifts a game,or doesnt dress.

The on ice product will suffer dramatically in my opinion.

It will be heading that way for sure. That is also why they are talking about mandating that each team carry five 16 and five 17 year olds. If all team's must follow this rule it will at least keep them competitive with each other.

Ottawa Guy

May 4, 2009
It will be heading that way for sure. That is also why they are talking about mandating that each team carry five 16 and five 17 year olds. If all team's must follow this rule it will at least keep them competitive with each other.

My understanding is that it is not 5 of each but 5 combined, any combination of 16 and 17 year olds that total 5. I would be surprised if it was 5 of each, especially since there are only two 16 year old cards per team and Hockey Canada rules state you can not have more than four 16 year olds carded on any one team.

Ottawa Guy

May 4, 2009
Has to be Mulder. He's started 8 games since Christmas and won 7 of them. Zawadski has started 4 games since the break and has only won 1.

IMO Zawadski will get the chance to start as #1 in the play-offs, he has proven he can step up when needed (last year and at all-star challenge) however his leash will be short.

valleydude

Mar 16, 2011
My understanding is that it is not 5 of each but 5 combined, any combination of 16 and 17 year olds that total 5. I would be surprised if it was 5 of each, especially since there are only two 16 year old cards per team and Hockey Canada rules state you can not have more than four 16 year olds carded on any one team.

Yes, that does make more sense. Although I will say this, my background is in Minor Hockey, not Jr and from where I sit the Jr guys make the rules as they go. So while I agree with you and my source was only a rumor, I will say that if Jr wanted 10 per team I think they would get it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad