Confirmed with Link: [CBJ -->TOR] TOR Claim G Curtis McElhinney

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I think this move also signifies that management wants to push for a playoff spot. That doesn't mean squandering futures for immediate veteran help, it means making smart decisions that don't conflict with the long term aspirations of the organization.

bluumax

Mar 7, 2008
I think this move also signifies that management wants to push for a playoff spot. That doesn't mean squandering futures for immediate veteran help, it means making smart decisions that don't conflict with the long term aspirations of the organization.

Whether they're aiming for the playoffs or not though, if there is a glaring weakness on the team and the opportunity arises to address it at no cost, then why wouldn't you?
I personally dont think making the playoffs is high on anyone's agenda this year, i think they'd like it, but we wont be adding vets at the DL for futures to get swept in round 1

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

or it means they don't want to rush the development of a goalie prospect and grabbed the next available pro goalie.

Obviously they hope for playoffs but no moves signify anything about pro playoffs or anti playoffs. If they decided we pump JVR and Bozaks value and offload at the deadline they will still do it but it doesn't mean they are now tanking or anything

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Whether they're aiming for the playoffs or not though, if there is a glaring weakness on the team and the opportunity arises to address it at no cost, then why wouldn't you?
I personally dont think making the playoffs is high on anyone's agenda this year, i think they'd like it, but we wont be adding vets at the DL for futures to get swept in round 1

agreed, also the rookies need playoff experience narrative is crap too they will get it and not making it this year wont negatively affect their development. In fact this year while we have this grace period by the fans and media we should be bringing up the Kapanen and leipsics on forward and Valiev or Loov on D we need to see what we have and get them ready for next year when I think there will be a huge push in media and fanbase for playoffs

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
Curtis is a UFA as well tho and likely to be gone at the end of the year. Sure sparks could be a throw in for a trade at the deadline but he has basically no value as does Enroth so I don't see either going anywhere this season, all 3 might be gone in the summer. So the move really doesn't have anything to do with having an extra goalie for the deadline, probably just insurance should something happen to Andersen

But trades can involve picks, as well as players..., as Enroth was traded for a 2018 pick, early this morning.. Some GM's consider dumping certain players for picks, if they are shooting for play-offs... and need more Cap Space to add some higher-caliber help.. Just my opinion.., though... Everyone is entitled to theirs..., including yourself..

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Anaheim now have a full stable of undersized goaltenders in Bernier, Tokarski and Enroth. There must be some injuries there to take on Enroth.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
The best thing about Curtis McElhinney is 6'-3".

Can't think of much else other then its > 5-10".

Enroth has been a serviceable NHL goalie a number of times including last season, same as Gustavsson. The fact that neither one brought that level this year in a very small sample doesn't mean they are done, they just slumped at the wrong time. I'm not sure when all three are retired we will look back on McElhinney as having a better career, but he has had only one bad game this year. I have a lot more confidance in him than Bibeau/Sparks/Ramo/Enroth. I am hoping he can give the club 10-15 games like Enroth gave the Kings last year or at least like Gus gave the Bruins.

Last edited:

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Not tremendously confident in this move, but we had to do something.

Hope he keeps up his .924 here.

Abandon all hope! Haha

Set the bar low and hopefully you get a surprise. For me I'm expecting his career average .905%
If he has a stellar year with us then I will be extra happy.

Doug Gilmour

Oct 5, 2010
Curtis should definitely help ease the workload for Andersen. Does this signal a playoff push? I'm starting to think it will, especially if we do something about our D.

Rick74*

Oct 7, 2016
London, Ont

No it doesn't do that at all.

This move just means more playing time in the AHL for Beib's...a great locker room presence veteran for the kids and a back up that's large and reliable.

It doesn't mean anything other than that.

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015
Going to my first ever leaf game(and NHL game) on Saturday in Ottawa, should see this guy play his first game for the leafs, hoping for a shutout ala Sparks.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Going to my first ever leaf game(and NHL game) on Saturday in Ottawa, should see this guy play his first game for the leafs, hoping for a shutout ala Sparks.

Nooooooo!

Plus the first rule about the shutout club is never speak about shutout club!

A4T1L6

Feb 10, 2015
I really think this is an underated pickup. Imagine having a competent goalie playing when Enroth was in net,we would most likely be in a playoff spot right now, even with Andersens early struggles. I think Curtis will be great for the 10-15 games he gets.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
I would roll Freddy both games again actually.

I liked it when Babs did it last time and I think he should trust his instincts again and go for it again. Freddy is plenty rested.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Not tremendously confident in this move, but we had to do something.

Hope he keeps up his .924 here.

The reason CMac is now a Leaf is the Leafs needed an experienced backup to Andersen, this season.
Leafs are trying to make the playoffs. Even if Bibeau and CMac are equal on the ice, CMac can help Andersen in the preparation at the NHL level. Bibeau is still finding himself at the NHL level and doesn't know the league. Just think Andersen will feel confident having a veteran with a "good ear" for the second half of the season. And CMac has proven he can sit and then come in and play well.

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
Maple Leafs Practice: Curtis McElhinney - January 12, 2017

Curtis McElhinney stops 39 shots in Blue Jackets win - Dec 29, 2015

CBJ vs. DAL - Dec 29, 2015: Full Game Highlights

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron

You are correct. If the Leaf management not cared about "winning" this year they would have Bibeau playing more NHL games preparing for his NHL career. But they went the veteran route that can provide better goaltending but also help Andersen get ready. CMac will provide experienced help to Andersen and Andersen doesn't have to worry about teaching the "new kid" Bibeau.

So there will be no Bozak , Komarov, JVR, Polak trades for distant help. Trade for immediate upgrades to the team only.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad