Prospect Info: CBJ Prospect Thread X

Status
Not open for further replies.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Has there been some concern about Marchenko? Seems like it was talked about. Was it just because he’s signed a longer deal with his Russian club? Or was there rumor about his interest in staying there?

Didn’t he choose not to come to a development camp even though he was in North America at the same time? Seemed like a weird choice given he was on the continent. Probably wouldn’t have raised eyebrows if he was in Russia.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Didn’t he choose not to come to a development camp even though he was in North America at the same time? Seemed like a weird choice given he was on the continent. Probably wouldn’t have raised eyebrows if he was in Russia.

Right. This was a thing for like a minute. I'm not saying we should get hung up on these or take them to mean anything definitive, just pointing out we've had a conversation about concerns over Marchenko's availability/commitment to NA.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
The older posters here will always be gun shy about Russians due to Moyzakin never coming over, even for a training camp. We also had Svitov going back over a personal matter. Of course, there was Zherdev and Filatov and while Nik did get us Tyutin, he never reached his obvious potential and Filatov is...well...:laugh:

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Right. This was a thing for like a minute. I'm not saying we should get hung up on these or take them to mean anything definitive, just pointing out we've had a conversation about concerns over Marchenko's availability/commitment to NA.
This was why I made the comment. I'm not worried so much about chinkahov, it's Marchenko that I'm mainly worried about.

Especially if some players decide not to re-sign here(I don't think that's the case but it's always a possibility)

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
The older posters here will always be gun shy about Russians due to Moyzakin never coming over, even for a training camp. We also had Svitov going back over a personal matter. Of course, there was Zherdev and Filatov and while Nik did get us Tyutin, he never reached his obvious potential and Filatov is...well...:laugh:
Filatov had high potential, but his professionalism ... simply, when he told what he was doing, it was understandable why he had problems.

DatsyukBaker

Apr 28, 2021
This was why I made the comment. I'm not worried so much about chinkahov, it's Marchenko that I'm mainly worried about.

Especially if some players decide not to re-sign here(I don't think that's the case but it's always a possibility)

Hasn't marchenkos agent said Multiple times he plans on coming to NHL in 2022?

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Hasn't marchenkos agent said Multiple times he plans on coming to NHL in 2022?

Here's a snip from an Athletic article last year with one such quote:

Arrival 2022-23: Kirill Marchenko

Marchenko slid to the second round (No. 49 overall) in 2018 because of uncertainty about his NHL future. Most teams believed he had first-round talent.
“We probably wouldn’t have drafted him if we didn’t think he wanted to come,” Kekalainen said. “We didn’t know at that time if he wanted to come right away or take his time, but we knew he wanted to come to North America eventually.”
The Blue Jackets got an answer earlier this season. Not the ideal answer, perhaps, but at least some clarity.
Marchenko signed a two-year contract extension with the KHL, hoping he’d mature enough in Russia to make a seamless jump to the NHL, avoiding the minor leagues.
“He’s going to play two more years in the KHL,” agent Mark Gandler said, “and then he’s coming to Columbus.
“You will enjoy him in Columbus, big time.”

Edit: Here's a bit from Gav too:

Blue Jackets defenseman Vladislav Gavrikov was a teammate of Marchenko’s on SKA St. Petersburg before he came to Columbus last spring.
Gavrikov said he’ll see Marchenko frequently this summer, provided the global coronavirus pandemic allows for much interaction this summer.
“Kirill made a good decision, I think, to take two more years,” Gavrikov said. “He’s smart. He’s so fast. He’s a really good player, lots of skill. But he needs more experience, and this is better for him (to stay in Russia). For sure it will help him.
“But I’m sure we’ll talk about Columbus. I know how to answer his questions now. For sure I will help him.”

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Doesn't look like Porty factored in Daylight Saving Time. About 10 minutes until it's midnight in Moscow.

EDIT - a simple Google search told me it's 11:50 pm in Moscow right now.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia

I wrote here it`s very possible because of his agent Shumi Babaev and I`m sure he helped them in this desision. The reason could be very simple, since the license of an NHL agent wants an NHL player who would be his and not Dan Milstein, or another agent. Sorokin`s agent here is Milstein although in KHL he was under Shumi and still before Ilya`s leave one had made a licency for NHL. That`s why I`m very I`m very concerned Yegor`s agent here.
Plus he knows very well that Jarmo is not a fool, he knows how to protect his talents.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I don’t see why he is not in the NHL next year given our current offensive lineup

Which players would you expect Chinakhov to jump ahead of in the lineup? We already have a lot of wingers, if you add in Nyquist, Hofmann, Foudy, and as some might, Foligno and Domi. Possibly some of Bemstrom, Angle, or TFW might also be pushing for jobs. That's on top of Jenner, Bjorkstrand, Atkinson, Laine, Robinson.

I expect Chinakhov can play but I doubt he'll steal big minutes. And I'd prefer him developing in the AHL, as I do for all players that are still developing their playmaking instincts. It's not like he was a big scorer in the KHL.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Which players would you expect Chinakhov to jump ahead of in the lineup? We already have a lot of wingers, if you add in Nyquist, Hofmann, Foudy, and as some might, Foligno and Domi. Possibly some of Bemstrom, Angle, or TFW might also be pushing for jobs. That's on top of Jenner, Bjorkstrand, Atkinson, Laine, Robinson.

I expect Chinakhov can play but I doubt he'll steal big minutes. And I'd prefer him developing in the AHL, as I do for all players that are still developing their playmaking instincts. It's not like he was a big scorer in the KHL.

Im sorry but I’m lol-big your “as some might” for Domi. You mean everyone but you.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia

And do we need Hofmann?

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area

Meh, some of the players you named are simply not NHL quality players and I find it unlikely we will be play off contenders next year so Chinakhov will likely get a lot of looks with the big club

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad