Prospect Info: CBJ Prospect Thread IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
But I want to ask - if we had more than that, where would they even play? Who among our top 6D and top 9F's are retiring soon, or sliding down to lower levels? I think we have a made up crisis on our hands.

See it's a good thing I'm not the GM. I'm just a huge draft & develop guy. With every transaction with another team, I would be asking for an extra draft pick. I don't care if it's a 4th round pick which is 3 years away, I would want to collect assets. I understand that my tenure as GM might never make it to use that pick, but I would be setting up my franchise for greater gains. If 3 years down the road, we have 5-4th round picks, 2-3rd round picks, 4-6th round picks, I would bundle them to move up. I would always be trading multiple 3rd's, 4th's, and 5th's for a second next year. Or trade multiple 2nd's this year for a 1st next year. I would want to come away with so many draft picks it would make your head swim.

As for nobody retiring soon and 4 or 5 guys being ready, I would trade guys off the roster for positions of need (and a draft pick or two - thankyouverymuch)

Reactions: MoeBartoli

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
See it's a good thing I'm not the GM. I'm just a huge draft & develop guy. With every transaction with another team, I would be asking for an extra draft pick. I don't care if it's a 4th round pick which is 3 years away, I would want to collect assets. I understand that my tenure as GM might never make it to use that pick, but I would be setting up my franchise for greater gains. If 3 years down the road, we have 5-4th round picks, 2-3rd round picks, 4-6th round picks, I would bundle them to move up. I would always be trading multiple 3rd's, 4th's, and 5th's for a second next year. Or trade multiple 2nd's this year for a 1st next year. I would want to come away with so many draft picks it would make your head swima`.

As for nobody retiring soon and 4 or 5 guys being ready, I would trade guys off the roster for positions of need (and a draft pick or two - thankyouverymuch)
Ah, the "save up one's loose change" strategy. ;)

The problem I would see is that there's only so much you have to go around for developing guys, and eventually you'll end up being unable to optimally develop people 'cause you've spent too much on too many.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
See it's a good thing I'm not the GM. I'm just a huge draft & develop guy. With every transaction with another team, I would be asking for an extra draft pick. I don't care if it's a 4th round pick which is 3 years away, I would want to collect assets. I understand that my tenure as GM might never make it to use that pick, but I would be setting up my franchise for greater gains. If 3 years down the road, we have 5-4th round picks, 2-3rd round picks, 4-6th round picks, I would bundle them to move up. I would always be trading multiple 3rd's, 4th's, and 5th's for a second next year. Or trade multiple 2nd's this year for a 1st next year. I would want to come away with so many draft picks it would make your head swim.

I'd bet Jarmo is looking for this right now. But our position of need is top line playmaker, and you could look for that deal for a long time and not find a deal that works. You can stockpile picks and extra roster players but it's not that easy to turn it into what you need.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
The problem I would see is that there's only so much you have to go around for developing guys, and eventually you'll end up being unable to optimally develop people 'cause you've spent too much on too many.

Correct, you can only have 50 active contracts. But unsigned prospects and the size of your development staff are not limited. Drafting well has two aspects; first is scouting and second is the "numbers game". So what if you have 13 prospects in college and major junior that you still own their rights? Keep the guys that have real promise and trade the tweeners that draw interest elsewhere. If afforded the time, my franchise would have an embarrassment of riches (both talent and assets).

I'd bet Jarmo is looking for this right now. But our position of need is top line playmaker, and you could look for that deal for a long time and not find a deal that works. You can stockpile picks and extra roster players but it's not that easy to turn it into what you need.

I didn't say it would be easy. In fact, it might be impossible because I would need to have a long runway to accomplish this and you need trade partners to go along (current need and extra picks in the future). But if done as a matter of policy, I would never go into a draft with only two picks.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I didn't say it would be easy. In fact, it might be impossible because I would need to have a long runway to accomplish this and you need trade partners to go along (current need and extra picks in the future).

What you are describing is usually just called rebuilding.

And whether it works or not depends heavily on luck and scouting ability. Some teams emerge better for it and the sacrifice pays off. Other clubs spend a decade plus doing it, the draft picks end up good but not great, the team doesn't have much credibility with it's own players, and they have a difficult time attracting proven high-end players from elsewhere. It puts a damper on the team when the FO isn't fully committed to winning in the near term.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Correct, you can only have 50 active contracts. But unsigned prospects and the size of your development staff are not limited.

This is incorrect. Development staff is limited by how much you can afford to spend (the point I was attempting to make earlier), and the "reserve list" (everybody you have the rights to, signed or otherwise) is capped at 90 players. It's a large limit, but it's a limit.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Here's Elvis Merzlikins yesterday in Lugano, Switzerland.

He's doing a couple of practice sessions with his old team, before flying to Columbus. As you can see, he was wearing a Columbus BJ practice jersey.

He'll be very much missed in Lugano, he is beloved here. Such a great kid and top performer.

3ED5E8F3-A12B-4DBB-8125-77B23EE353B1.jpeg

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Is there a comprehensive list somewhere of all CBJ prospects with what league and team they will play for in 2019? Perhaps with a link to the league website or stats would be a bonus.

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Is there a comprehensive list somewhere of all CBJ prospects with what league and team they will play for in 2019? Perhaps with a link to the league website or stats would be a bonus.

It's all linked at elite prospects. The guys who are expected to make the NHL roster are listed separately in the "NHL roster" tab.

Edited: so it would make sense.

Last edited:

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Wasn't posted so:

2019 NHL farm system rankings: No. 25 Columbus Blue Jackets

The Athletic (Pronman) ranks our prospect 25th out of the 31 teams. Last year we were also 25th.

Pronman has our top prospects as:

1. Bemstrom
2. Texier
3. Marchenko
4. Tarasov
5. Foudy
6. Merzlikins
7. Voronkov
8. TFW
9. Robinson
10. Gavrikov
11. Vehvilainen
12. Stenlund
13. Peeke
14. Sherwood
15. Howarth
16. Karlberg
17. Berni

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Wasn't posted so:

2019 NHL farm system rankings: No. 25 Columbus Blue Jackets

The Athletic (Pronman) ranks our prospect 25th out of the 31 teams. Last year we were also 25th.

Pronman has our top prospects as:

1. Bemstrom
2. Texier
3. Marchenko
4. Tarasov
5. Foudy
6. Merzlikins
7. Voronkov
8. TFW
9. Robinson
10. Gavrikov
11. Vehvilainen
12. Stenlund
13. Peeke
14. Sherwood
15. Howarth
16. Karlberg
17. Berni
Really goes off of top end ceilings with a lower emphasis on reaching that ceiling I guess. Not touching Foudy but Gavrikov is NHL caliber defender now and behind someone like Robinson is pretty silly

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Thoughts on Tarasov's future? Thanks!

Huge potential. Big time boom or bust. It'll be an interesting year for him in Finland. I think he'll spend at least two in that system before crossing over, but who knows. I hope he's a good one.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Anyone know what Voronkov's possible locations are for this season? Cleveland could be because he was drafted out of Russia, correct?

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Not a Jacket anymore, but Abramov had a hat trick for Ottawa last night. I hope he ends up being a nice player. Not TOO good, though.

The Wheelchair

Jun 13, 2015
Ottawa
Anyone know what Voronkov's possible locations are for this season? Cleveland could be because he was drafted out of Russia, correct?
He's in the KHL (season's already started). Like Gavrikov, he can't come over until his KHL contract expires. I'm not sure when that is, but it's definitely not this season.

Reactions: majormajor
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad