Prospect Info: CBJ Prospect Thread IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I would be okay with this if he was there last year. Or at least if we have heard about him at all this year. Could be the fault of our media for not talking about him or whatever you want to say, but he's a 2nd round pick and you would think pretty important to the franchise.

You would also think that perhaps a conversation would have been had to know if he was actually interested in playing in NA before he was drafted. Maybe this is SKA related since he is under contract with them and this is what they want him to do. I would assume that SKA would need to allow him to participate.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

giphy.gif

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Now he's deleting comments. "Is Columbus ok that you are ignoring their camp 2 years in a row esp since you're right around the corner this year?"

This guy.....

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Now he's deleting comments. "Is Columbus ok that you are ignoring their camp 2 years in a row esp since you're right around the corner this year?"

This guy.....

Marchy don't do responses.

Fire Siren.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I like that we have Justin Bergeron at the camp, he was one of those guys who went undrafted who really probably should've had his name called. Hopefully we can get him signed.

I looked up his stats and Justin is prolific. He's not some overager either. Do you know why scouts weren't drawn to him? I believe the Jackets have spare contracts to hand out - could maybe give the kid an ELC if he plays well.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I looked up his stats and Justin is prolific. He's not some overager either. Do you know why scouts weren't drawn to him? I believe the Jackets have spare contracts to hand out - could maybe give the kid an ELC if he plays well.

The Curious Case Of Defensemen Justin Bergeron

https://thehockeywriters.com/2019-nhl-draft-qmjhl-sleeper-picks/

Justin Bergeron

Position: Defense / Team: Rouyn-Noranda Huskies / Central Scouting Final Rank: 153 (North American Skaters)
Rouyn-Noranda had an incredible 2018-19 season. They won 59 of their 68 games, losing just a single overtime game, and piled up an incredible 119 points. They steamrolled through the playoffs, losing just two games en route to a QMJHL championship, then lost one more before they claimed the Memorial Cup. Several players stood out with career seasons, but one of the most intriguing is Justin Bergeron.
QMJHL Player of the Week is Justin Bergeron (April 22, 2019) pic.twitter.com/hJ8oL3wJpe
— HockeyProspect.com (@ScoutingService) April 22, 2019
This season, Bergeron became one of the league’s best offensive defensemen. He tied for third in points among QMJHL defensemen with 57, 16 of which were goals. In the playoffs, he ascended to another level, ending top-ten in postseason scoring with 20 points in 19 games. A pair of playoff home games in April saw the defender score five assists and record a plus-6 alone, earning him QMJHL Player of the Week.
The Quebec defender has above-average skating, is effective on the power play, has great vision and hockey IQ, passes well, has NHL-size…yet this is Bergeron’s second time at the draft. Eligible by a matter of hours, Bergeron was the youngest player available a the 2018 NHL Draft. It wasn’t surprising, therefore, to see him left off the CSB’s rankings and was undrafted, despite finishing his first season in the QMJHL third in rookie scoring with 30 points and averaging two shots a game.
However, Bergeron was almost left unranked again this year, not making the CSB until the final list. Sure, there are deficiencies in his defensive game and physicality, but his on-ice mistakes are few and far between, and he’s made incredible strides between seasons. Teams are generally hesitant to select overage players, but to call Bergeron ‘overage’ feels like a disservice, and he will be a solid selection for a team willing to ignore that title.

Reactions: majormajor

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013

put up really incredible numbers last season. has only progressed. has respectable size (height and weight) for a defenseman... I don't get it. glad to be hosting this guy this week!

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Defenseman have to play defense.

I know development isn't your thing but they can learn defense later. If you don't believe me, remember David Savard.

I'm hardly the only one to notice that there's been much more success teaching offensive D to play better defense than the other way around.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I know nothing about this Justin kid except what y'all are saying.

Seems to me there was another defenseman named Bergeron with really good offensive skills but sucked on D. Never established himself for an extended period of time...gotta play D!

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I know nothing about this Justin kid except what y'all are saying.

Seems to me there was another defenseman named Bergeron with really good offensive skills but sucked on D. Never established himself for an extended period of time...gotta play D!

Marc-Andre? He played a lot of years in the league. He is a good example of a guy that never developed defensively. But there's a good number of solid NHL defenders who did add the defensive part late.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad