Confirmed Signing with Link: [CBJ] Patrik Laine accepts QO with Blue Jackets (1 year, $7.5M)

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
The amount of hate in this thread is ridiculous.

Zero risk for CBJ in this deal. Laine had a bad year but he's skilled enough to bounce back.

Problem with Patrik despite what his Finnish stans say... his off season work ethic leaves a lot to be desired. Had a good 1 year in Winnipeg... his rookie year then teams figured him out. It's a fact... guy could be real good but it seems like the off ice commitment is lacking.

It's cute how ppl talk about 50 goals... eventually that potential you have goes away and you are what you are and at this point Laine is what exactly? Potential? Not really. He is what he Is and it sounds like some of his teammates want him traded so that would be 2 teams who moved on from his potential. Potential only gets you so far especially when you don't put the work in off the ice despite what the Finnish contingent says

Reactions: Guardian17

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Problem with Patrik despite what his Finnish stans say... his off season work ethic leaves a lot to be desired. Had a good 1 year in Winnipeg... his rookie year then teams figured him out. It's a fact... guy could be real good but it seems like the off ice commitment is lacking.

True, and with a better work ethic he'd be even better. Still feel like he'll bounce back.

jonu

Dec 11, 2014
Moon

Despite what salty WPG stans say.. he has trained last 2 summers with Barkov. Had a good year 1 in Winnipeg... but played his best hockey in year 3. It's a fact...

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

It's cute how ppl talk about 50 goals... eventually that potential you have goes away and you are what you are and at this point Laine is what exactly? Potential? Not really. He is what he Is and it sounds like some of his teammates want him traded so that would be 2 teams who moved on from his potential. Potential only gets you so far especially when you don't put the work in off the ice despite what the Finnish contingent says

I don't think it's an offseason thing, or solely an offseason thing.

This year he showed up ripped at Jets camp this year and was awesome in game 1 before getting injured. His energy level game to game is just not there though, and his physical results seemed gone by mid-season. I do wonder if he is still staying up late and gaming. I feel weird asking that about a grown man that should know how to take care of himself, but if it's true it would explain a lot about how weak he seems to be.

Esko6

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
Despite what salty WPG stans say.. he has trained last 2 summers with Barkov. Had a good year 1 in Winnipeg... but played his best hockey in year 3. It's a fact...

He has all the pieces in place for a monster summer training, but every time he is interviewed he seems like hockey is a chore for him. I just don't think he loves hockey enough to really try to reach his potential.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
I feel like Columbus should just start shopping him. Feels like a situation where he's just going to take his QO each year and then bounce. I think he's a guy that just wants to hit the market.
shopping him? unless there's major retention, i don't see much interest

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
Laine at this point is looking like the Finnish Yakupov. A very skilled flash in the pan that didn't have his head set straight and couldn't handle the pressure. He's supposed to be developing into a superstar about now, not be thrown around like a lazy, whining hot potato.

This is his year to show he is up to working hard to stay in this league and stop complaining. Work on his flaws instead of complaining no one is setting him up. He thought his shot alone would be enough to stay in the league.

Laine has shown very low levels of sisu for a Finnish player so far.
but contrary to chased by bees, laine is set for life.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
The hate this guy gets is unreal. Like did he piss in everyone's mouth or something? Hearing him called hot garbage is ridiculous. I am not even that big a fan of him, but he is at about a 30 goal average for his young career which nowadays is pretty darn good.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
He's not going to be a Blue Jacket when season 2023-24 starts. At least Jarmo has enough time to maximize the trade return.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I don't think it's an offseason thing, or solely an offseason thing.

This year he showed up ripped at Jets camp this year and was awesome in game 1 before getting injured. His energy level game to game is just not there though, and his physical results seemed gone by mid-season. I do wonder if he is still staying up late and gaming. I feel weird asking that about a grown man that should know how to take care of himself, but if it's true it would explain a lot about how weak he seems to be.
Lias Andersson had a big problem with that as well, at least when he was in NY

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
Will be interesting to see if Columbus qualifies him for 7.5 again next season if he has another howler.

EhlersChin

Aug 23, 2017
People like to put Laine down easily. He had one bad year.

6'5, 23 years old elite shot. 150 goals in 351 games doesn't sound too shabby. I hope he can rebound

Sure doesn't sound like those 80g seasons that were predicted, I see you've changed your tone as well. Now your content with with Laine not close to the best goal scorer of his draft?

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
His quotes about how he should play with Schiefele and not play with Little came across as very entitled and self-serving. Not all team's best wingers play with their team's best center, as teams sometimes try to spread out the scoring. Kane didn't always play with Toews, Marner didn't play with Matthews for the first 3 and a half years of his career, etc. If you are as good as Laine seems to think he is and have the contract demands he did, you should be expected to carry a 2nd line, and not require a franchise center to perform.
Omg not this again :rolleyes: he was complaining about his usage and TOI that was heavily favoured for the players in the 1st line, with 1st line talent. Promises by Maurice were broken and Laine spoke his lind about it. But please, go on beating that dead horse.

Reactions: HHel

EhlersChin

Aug 23, 2017
Omg not this again :rolleyes: he was complaining about his usage and TOI that was heavily favoured for the players in the 1st line, with 1st line talent. Promises by Maurice were broken and Laine spoke his lind about it. But please, go on beating that dead horse.

How about getting benched early into his stint in CBJ for lipping off now HC? Let's hear the excuses for that? Laine was punted from Wpg for his loser attitude and it was on full display in cbj. Shit attitude that won't change.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
How about getting benched early into his stint in CBJ for lipping off now HC? Let's hear the excuses for that? Laine was punted from Wpg for his loser attitude and it was on full display in cbj. Shit attitude that won't change.
What about it? Laine was arguably right about the CLB PP coaching. That coaching teams record speaks for itself.

FYI Laine was the Jets best player at the time he was traded, and the only one in the top 6 except for Ehlers who showed some fight and winning attitude.

Keep on hating though, it’s entertaining.

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
Lol 7.5. Only took him a few weeks to get a benching for running his mouth last year, wouldn't be shocked to see another one this season.
7.5 for a guy who never comes to camp in shape, maybe he's chasing the shuttlecock around again this offseason? Most likely chopping it around the Fin munis. I wonder if he's still with that legendary Suomi trainer? lol.
Alot of money for a fragile mind.

But he has a really good swing, need to work some more on his putts!

ManWithNoName

Unregistered User
Jul 9, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
You really want to bring Matthews into it, who played with Connor Brown and Hyman most of his rookie year? And, guess what, when you are your teams best player and franchise center you get to dictate things a bit more. Did he go to the Arizona press and whine? I know Laine went back to Finland and did.

LOL that’s literally the definition of being entitled. It doesn’t matter who you are, the coach should be the one making those calls.

Well we are all different, some people speak out and some people talk behind your back. I assume you prefer the latter.

Reactions: Fairview

MMANumminen

May 7, 2010
Political prisoner
Sure doesn't sound like those 80g seasons that were predicted, I see you've changed your tone as well. Now your content with with Laine not close to the best goal scorer of his draft?
I have never predicted such lunacy. I still think there is 60g potential there although unlikely.

Laine not close to be best goalscorer of his draft? Matthews is better, who else?

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
The situation with Laine reminds me of Zherdev in that Hitch built his value back up enough to get something decent back (Tyutin) in a trade. I suspect the same will happen with Laine.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Event closes