OT: CBJ Lounge XXI (All Non-Sports, Non-Political Talk Here)

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Ohio Vax-a-Million HOME
First drawing taking place tonight. I missed the deadline for that one 'cause the website went down, but I'm in for the next four.

I asked my wife last week if we should go ahead and sign up and she said "I already did, for all three of us." (The two of us and our adult daughter.)

I told her that was nice and if I won I would share the money with her.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Great post. Sometimes we don't realize its the animal that chooses its human.

See this one here? I wasn't planning to get a cat for 6 more months after my previous cat passed. But every week that I went to Staples for the office, I would browse the cats at PetSmart.

I always loved tux cats. She walked right up to the front, I stuck my nose down and she licked my nose and then I took the picture

She picked me.

Attachments

• 03C1157C-682D-4A16-ADEA-BD8A3AFB0AB6.jpeg
    03C1157C-682D-4A16-ADEA-BD8A3AFB0AB6.jpeg
    125.3 KB · Views: 5

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

....something to put a smile on your face for the weekend

Our first guinea pig did a similar thing with my mother - we were in a pet store for unrelated reasons, and Mom had memories of her pet guinea pig when she was a child so she went over to those guys, and while most of them scattered away from her one actually approached the edge of the cage as she neared. She picked that one up, petted him for a little while, then set him down... and he charges to the edge of the cage, pawing at the side, squeaking in that way guinea pigs do at the top of his lungs as if to say "no, noooooo, don't leave me!"

So, we ended up with a guinea pig.

Reactions: spintheblackcircle

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
Does anyone here have any first-hand experience making a transition to computer programming by way of a coding boot camp? I am looking to make a pivot in my career, and this seems like an efficient way to do it.

Will making my way through this hold itself up compared to someone with a degree in the same?

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
Does anyone here have any first-hand experience making a transition to computer programming by way of a coding boot camp? I am looking to make a pivot in my career, and this seems like an efficient way to do it.

Will making my way through this hold itself up compared to someone with a degree in the same?
Coding is a skill, places that need coders are more concerned about your coding ability then overall education (in terms if a degree). I don’t have any experience in those programs, (I’m in info section) but if you can learn to code, that’s what will speak for itself

Reactions: Viqsi

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

I suspect the old carrot of "it's not just what you know, it's also who you know" would apply. I didn't go through a "boot camp" (unless you count my father's attempts to teach me, or my playing with Hypercard in my early years) and don't have a degree, but I knew enough people who vouched for my technical ability that I was given a chance and was able to make the most of it.

Good luck. :thumbu:

Monk

Feb 5, 2008

I have done a number of coding boot camps for my job (most recently SQL), but also took classes in high school and college, dabbled on my own tweaking PC games as a teenager, and have a decent amount of firsthand experience in my job even though I'm not a coder/developer.

To be totally honest I think boot camps will be tough without some sort of coding language foundation, but that is not to discourage you - the beauty of them typically is that you can pause, rewatch, and generally go at your own speed. The main problem with them, though, is they aren't "real world" so it can be hard to apply them in a job. It's like taking a Spanish class online for a year, and then trying to actually use it in the real world - doable, but not easy and not as effective as an immersive Spanish experience.

In terms of getting jobs, I would focus on finding boot camps that are well known, well regarded, and ideally give you some sort of "certification" at the end that you can put on a resume. The hardest part will be getting an interview without the degree/job experience - if you have a degree that's in any way related to coding (like math) or to the industry you're applying for a coding job in, that'll help a lot.

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
Btw my dear Americans..

I have never liked the traditional American food that is being marketed in Europe (all those burgers, popcorns, hotdogs, soft drinks etc).. but spreading and marketing all that garbage is forgiven.. as its the US that has given the world cream cheese and its fascinating continuation = the cheesecake.

I make the best NY cheesecake in Belgium ;o well not really but almost. It took me years to come with the best recipe and now its pure 8000 calories, 7 pound weighting, 10" wide "perfection". No cheesecake bought anywhere else comes close to it :/ it does cost roughly €30 ($35) to make but damn it, its stunning.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Btw my dear Americans..

I have never liked the traditional American food that is being marketed in Europe (all those burgers, popcorns, hotdogs, soft drinks etc).. but spreading and marketing all that garbage is forgiven.. as its the US that has given the world cream cheese and its fascinating continuation = the cheesecake.

I make the best NY cheesecake in Belgium ;o well not really but almost. It took me years to come with the best recipe and now its pure 8000 calories, 7 pound weighting, 10" wide "perfection". No cheesecake bought anywhere else comes close to it :/ it does cost roughly €30 ($35) to make but damn it, its stunning.

I’ll be right over!

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
Makes me wonder who makes the best Belgian waffles in NY…

Well heres the thing: "Belgian waffles" is just a name like "French fries". In fact the only place you will find fresh baked waffles here is where tourists can be expected to visit like Ghent and Bruges. In the province/suburbs you are highly unlikely to find any waffles at all, except maybe that factory crap, wrapped in a plastic in supermarkets :thumbd:

I do recommend trying this country's craft beers (any trappist for example like Orval or Rochefort or Westvleteten).

This is the real beauty of Belgium:

Orval.jpg

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
Well heres the thing: "Belgian waffles" is just a name like "French fries". In fact the only place you will find fresh baked waffles here is where tourists can be expected to visit like Ghent and Bruges. In the province/suburbs you are highly unlikely to find any waffles at all, except maybe that factory crap, wrapped in a plastic in supermarkets :thumbd:

I do recommend trying this country's craft beers (any trappist for example like Orval or Rochefort or Westvleteten).

Orval.jpg

About 30 years ago I spent a couple of weeks in Belgium on business, mostly in Antwerp. The food was amazing and the beer was even better. Thankfully I was able to see a little more of the country than Antwerp including Brussels, Bruges and Oostende.

Reactions: Madifer

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

Yeah I was just going for the geographical switch joke.

Yeah my favorite bottle shop stocks the Rochefort.

Reactions: Madifer

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003

Orval.jpg

Belgian beer is the best beer.

Spent a few days in Bruges a few years ago. Wonderful food and drink.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad