OT: CBJ Lounge XXI (All Non-Sports, Non-Political Talk Here)

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front
I'm also a friend of good single malt whiskey (or is it whiskey that's a friend of mine?). I don't like them very smoky or peaty, so I go for Spey area products rather than Islay.
My personal favorites are Glenmorangie (the regular version) and Glenlivet 18yo. Both offer very good value for their price.

Reactions: Forepar

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015

"everything we threw in became lunch"

giphy.gif

Reactions: spintheblackcircle

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Laine is not the first finn in Ohio, long history of finns!

Has anyone of you visited the finnish heritage museum in Fairport Harbor? There are some interested stories regarding the first finns in the state. I for sure will read up! Thanks Pate!

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Laine is not the first finn in Ohio, long history of finns!

Has anyone of you visited the finnish heritage museum in Fairport Harbor? There are some interested stories regarding the first finns in the state. I for sure will read up! Thanks Pate!

I have not but knowing there is one makes me want to go there!

Reactions: mattihp

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
It looks like the Finns that came to Ohio settled in the northeast corner of the state — Lake County and Ashtabula County.

Category:Finnish-American culture in Ohio - Wikipedia
Ashtabula is by the way the coolest name ever. Is is Lenape for "Always enough fish to be shared around".

I've heard lots about the lakes there really being great for fishing so it is probably as true today as when it was named!

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
How would you describe Columbus, Ohio as a resident? Yes, YOU!

Obviously it's where Kristoffer Columbus landed and the birthplace of Columbo, but other than that?

Monk

Feb 5, 2008

Obviously it's where Kristoffer Columbus landed and the birthplace of Columbo, but other than that?

In plain English:
  • Not too hot, not too cold, not too dry, not too humid
  • Not too big, not too small
  • Very clean, relatively speaking - no stank
  • Not too crowded, but still good people watching
  • No good public transportation, a car is probably necessary
  • Big-ass university Ohio State drives a lot of action/attention
It basically is the middle ground between small town America and NYC/LA.

Reactions: Viqsi and grieves

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio

We are a growing city in a part of the country that is losing population. The economy is based on industries such as insurance and health care, as well as a giant university and state government. Because of the giant university, young people move to Columbus. Young NHL players seem to like it here (lots of girls their age) and older players with kids like it here (safe, good schools), but millionaires in their mid 20s seem to find it boring. Because of the Blue Jackets, hockey is booming in Columbus. Columbus youth hockey has grown, and Columbus now produces NHL level talent (Roslovic, Murphy, Kuraly, etc.). Ohio State hockey has grown since the Big Ten added hockey as a sport. Jack Nicklaus is from Columbus and there are lots of golf courses and a PGA event here. Arnold Schwarzenegger loves Columbus because he won a body building championship here. WE HAVE A NICE ZOO.

Reactions: grieves and DJA

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I would just add a couple things:
1) There is an emerging arts scene here, for those who like that sort of thing.
2) Ideal location to get to just about anywhere in a day's drive or a short-medium flight.

Reactions: grieves

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
You guys have a zoo?! I bet the animals are very tasty. I'm definitely looking at Ohio if I ever move to the US.

E: what a bad post. Except Ohio being a good state long term if one understands long-term repercussions of the weakness of other states.

Last edited:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
By the way, some of y'all may have noticed that we've got a lot of new faces around here nowadays for some strange reason. This has added to the moderation workload maybe just a teensy tiny bit.

So we done deputized @CBJWerenski8. Obey him as you would us.
you know, half-heartedly, begrudgingly, and with occasional vows of eventual vengeance and such

;)

Silliness aside, congrats to CBJW on the promotion. :D

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I would just add a couple things:
1) There is an emerging arts scene here, for those who like that sort of thing.
2) Ideal location to get to just about anywhere in a day's drive or a short-medium flight.

We are (or were?) within a 500 mile radius of half the population of the U.S. and a 600-mile radius of half the population of the U.S. + Canada. Don't know if those stats still hold, though.

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
By the way, some of y'all may have noticed that we've got a lot of new faces around here nowadays for some strange reason. This has added to the moderation workload maybe just a teensy tiny bit.

So we done deputized @CBJWerenski8. Obey him as you would us.
you know, half-heartedly, begrudgingly, and with occasional vows of eventual vengeance and such

;)

Silliness aside, congrats to CBJW on the promotion. :D
Way to be CBJW! Your avatar should upgrade from a paper bag to a reusable grocery bag in celebration.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I`m watching at the situation in Texas. Good Jesus. Of course the temperature -18°C is nothing, but if you have houses that aren`t adapted for such temperatures... .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad