Rumor: CBJ interested in Ryan Callahan

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Well. In terms of pt production, size, grit, leadership I do. Callahan blocks more shots, Foligno drops the gloves more.

One plays in a big market and is overrated. One plays in a small market and is underrated.

This would be a bad move as a UFA signing. Yet alone, moving someone.

Wouldn't it be something though if it was Marian Gaborik going the other way lol.

It's not just Foligno who mirrors Callahan in several ways. It's Horton (better than Callahan), Umberger, Dubinsky, Calvert (not there yet, but will be very soon), Jenner (ditto), and even Letestu. All are multi-faceted two-way forwards with grit, whose offensive upside is somewhere between 20-30 goals and 50-60 points, and who apparently possess positive "intangibles".

What this team does not have outside of Gaborik, Johansen, and Atkinson are actual high-level offensive players. I don't know what would be gained by adding yet another second-line caliber player who can play special teams without embarrassing himself, but without creating an immediate boost to either. And I definitely don't know what would be gained by possibly acquiring someone with those salary demands, which would immediately make him the highest-paid player on the team (save for Gaborik) for a redundant piece who's likely to leave.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
It's not just Foligno who mirrors Callahan in several ways. It's Horton (better than Callahan), Umberger, Dubinsky, Calvert (not there yet, but will be very soon), Jenner (ditto), and even Letestu. All are multi-faceted two-way forwards with grit, whose offensive upside is somewhere between 20-30 goals and 50-60 points, and who apparently possess positive "intangibles".

What this team does not have outside of Gaborik, Johansen, and Atkinson are actual high-level offensive players. I don't know what would be gained by adding yet another second-line caliber player who can play special teams without embarrassing himself, but without creating an immediate boost to either. And I definitely don't know what would be gained by possibly acquiring someone with those salary demands, which would immediately make him the highest-paid player on the team (save for Gaborik) for a redundant piece who's likely to leave.

Callahan alone would make us a better team. The problem is that wouldn't be all of it. We would probably have to trade someone from the NHL team which would make the plus of adding Callahan less (if it even stayed a plus). Then, you have to look at what he would make and how that would prevent us from adding what we really need. Does Callahan make us better? Yes. Is he what we need or what we need to trade for? NO.

cbjfaninmo

4 those about 2 rock
Mar 17, 2012
Lake of the Ozarks, MO
Callahan alone would make us a better team. The problem is that wouldn't be all of it. We would probably have to trade someone from the NHL team which would make the plus of adding Callahan less (if it even stayed a plus). Then, you have to look at what he would make and how that would prevent us from adding what we really need. Does Callahan make us better? Yes. Is he what we need or what we need to trade for? NO.

Exactly. His cost (next contract and player assets that would be traded) is just too much. Another big NO.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Nicely put. He fits well here, but so do the six or seven other forwards already playing that role here and playing it well.

Wendy Clear

Generic Statement of Happiness
Jun 20, 2010
Europe. Somewhere.
If the rumored interest from CBJ is true, I wonder if it's based around the idea that Callahan's one of the very few non-worthless forwards available at the TDL?

I like trying to improve the team for this playoff push, and hopefully run, but Callahan ... at the expense of presumably roster players and/or decent picks? Please no.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad