Rumor: CBJ interested in Ryan Callahan

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 2m

Hearing that Columbus also among the teams that has shown some interest in Callahan...

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
So, lets start the discussion. What would we give up and what would we pay? This obviously means Gaborik is gonzo, right?

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline 8m
Per @Real_ESPNLeBrun report ... yes #CBJ GM Jarmo Kekalainen among those who wants to do a deal before Olympic break. Not a rental, though.

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
JJ + Rychel + 1st?

My god that's a lot. I can't see us moving JJ, he's a beast. Tyutin is expendable for a piece like Callahan I think. My educated guess, Sather wants too much and no one gets Cally. I propose a deal around Callahan for Tyutin and Savard/Prout maybe a forward instead.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
My god that's a lot. I can't see us moving JJ, he's a beast. Tyutin is expendable for a piece like Callahan I think. My educated guess, Sather wants too much and no one gets Cally. I propose a deal around Callahan for Tyutin and Savard/Prout maybe a forward instead.

yeah, it seems high, but i think they're looking for 3 pieces. Rychel has always seemed expendable to me, so he's who i picked but i guess you could substitute another prospect. The 1st is probably a stone cold requirement.

tkeats

Jan 21, 2007
Dallas, TX
How much would we give up when his deal is done at the end of the year though? Pierre McGuire was talking about how he didn't see NYR being able to re-sign him on Hockey This Morning. Mentioned his production had dropped.

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
I think this deal is only done if Cally signs. Maybe get our first back if he does not, Tyutin is a good defenseman and it's hard to give up a player like him for someone who isn't that good offensively this year. He's a better Dubinsky.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
I think this deal is only done if Cally signs. Maybe get our first back if he does not, Tyutin is a good defenseman and it's hard to give up a player like him for someone who isn't that good offensively this year. He's a better Dubinsky.

No doubt. Thats why whoever the team Dreger referred to got permission. I think the only way he's traded.

major major

Feb 18, 2013

This is too much for me too! What do folks think they're getting in Callahan? I see a good character guy who's best days are behind him and he'll play on the third line. I'm not willing to give up a lot for that. I think Tyutin for Callahan makes us a better team, but #2 defenders like Tyutin are really hard to acquire around the league, and we could get a lot more for him.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
JJ + Rychel + 1st?

Then turn Gaborik into a veteran defenseman?

Just so we're clear, we are talking about the same Ryan Callahan that's never had 30 goals (and has hit 25 once) and has broken 50 points just once, correct?

I'd rather try to re-acquire Antoine Vermette.

major major

Feb 18, 2013

He's better than Dubinsky? A few years ago maybe.

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
This is too much for me too! What do folks think they're getting in Callahan? I see a good character guy who's best days are behind him and he'll play on the third line. I'm not willing to give up a lot for that. I think Tyutin for Callahan makes us a better team, but #2 defenders like Tyutin are really hard to acquire around the league, and we could get a lot more for him.

Yes the more I think about it the more I think you are absolutely correct. Maybe I'm under rating him but we have a lot of guys with his style of play. Hell I think Jenner is very similar to Callahan. Give them the choice of Savard/Prout/Goloubef a 1st and Rychel and if it hits, it hits, if not, it's not a big deal.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
Considering we already have a few similar players under contract already, I'm really leery about what

a. what we give up for Callahan. We've obviously got to clear salary. Gaborik is an obvious candidate to go back but do the Rangers really want him? I'm not confident in our team enough to give up a 1st round pick. And I'm really against giving up Atkinson or Calvert, even with an extended Callahan.

and more imporantly

b. what Callahan could possibly end up commanding in salary. It's a weak crop this year and David Clarkson really ****ed up the market for these type of guys.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Just so we're clear, we are talking about the same Ryan Callahan that's never had 30 goals (and has hit 25 once) and has broken 50 points just once, correct?

I'd rather try to re-acquire Antoine Vermette.

And he wants 6 million per on a 7 year deal. NTY

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
He's better than Dubinsky? A few years ago maybe.

I was going off when they were on the same team and who was more valuable. Hey maybe he's the most overrated player in the league? Hell I can't make up my mind, I'll just see what happens :D

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005

He's not worth anywhere near that (what you quoted). Some team might pay something stupid like that, but hopefully it isn't us.

I don't see Tyutin "being expendable", but we're going to get a wide variety of opinions.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Considering we already have a few similar players under contract already, I'm really leery about what

a. what we give up for Callahan
and more imporantly
b. what Callahan could possibly end up commanding in salary. It's a weak crop this year and David Clarkson really ****ed up the market for these type of guys.

Rumor is he wants 7 years 42 million from the Rangers. Yikes

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
If we give up the aforementioned package for Callahan, I will swear that D-MacLean has taken over Jarmo's body. NFW does he give up that for Callahan. I wouldn't mind having him-I think he would fit in well but with his injury history I'd be hesitant to give up much. Maybe one of our D and a 2nd.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Rumor is he wants 7 years 42 million from the Rangers. Yikes

The term is the scary part. Lots of teams have the spending room now with the sudden upping of the cap, but they won't in five years, when Callahan might not be much of a player. A lot of guys like him have short careers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad