Rumor: CBJ interested in Ryan Callahan

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
It's what every team that acquired a Jacket said for about five years as well. Guys out of shape, clueless in general, and lazy as well.

But guys can change, mature, develop new habits. Jake & Mase are both doing fine in new surroundings. The Ranger guys are performing as well as here. Methot okay in Ottawa. A change of scenery can do wonders.

bizzz*

It amazes me to see any BlueJacket fan even discussing Jenner in any deal

His shift which led to the first goal Monday night was off the charts

The new line He is on with Horton and Ryan Jo has been electric

Jenner is not even in any discussion...None!

You must be new here :). If you only saw a couple years ago what some people over here wanted to trade Johansen for...

It's what every team that acquired a Jacket said for about five years as well. Guys out of shape, clueless in general, and lazy as well.

Be careful, someone might point out at the person that was employed by the Jackets then and works for the Oilers now :)

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011
Seems like every recently traded Edmonton player was accused in having a bad habits. That's what Tortz said about Dubnyk, Hitch about Paajarvi, Smid said something about practices being a lot harder in Calgary.
I'm not sure if replacing a hard working guy with someone more talented, but infected by being an Oiler for a while would do anything good for the Jackets.

Once upon a time I would agree, but I think the organization has improved by leaps and bounds over where it was and could actually take a talented player and reform him rather than be dragged down by a bad apple. The leadership of Dubi, JMFJ, the coaching staff, JK and JD have really changed what is acceptable conduct by a player.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
But guys can change, mature, develop new habits. Jake & Mase are both doing fine in new surroundings. The Ranger guys are performing as well as here. Methot okay in Ottawa. A change of scenery can do wonders.

I was going more for the 2003-08 time period. I seem to remember a couple of other GMs and coaches taking shots at Columbus for sending them players with less-than-stellar ability to step into the lineup.

Be careful, someone might point out at the person that was employed by the Jackets then and works for the Oilers now :)

Doug MacLean works for the Oilers?

Anyway, I'm not pointing fingers at GMs here. I'm just saying that a lot of ex-Jackets were picked up by new teams and weren't exactly ready to contribute for reasons often attributed to work ethic or fitness level. They simply happen to be clustered from 2003-08.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
FYI - Chris MacFarland and Mike Battaglia from Columbus FO are at the EDM @ NYR game tonight.

FreeBoomer61

Feb 8, 2011
I really really really hope we aren't going to make a move after cally....unless ofcourse umberger is going the other way. Could we be looking at any other Rangers? Or even Oilers for that matter? Dan Girardi would be a nice addition to the backend too.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
A follow up question is where is Bill Zito, and why are we paying him?

Bill Zito is a former player agent, he's probably all about helping Jarmo lay out contract offers, making pitches with his many contacts, as well as a cap manager. So while MacFarland does all the AHL and some Pro Scouting, he has little to do with contracts.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Why do you say that?

he's the assistant GM. throughout our history, he's been the guy to get a "second look" at a guy that the GM has already targeted. that means we're extremely interested in someone. Jarmo has likely already scouted this guy, and MacFarland is there to validate his opinion. MacFarland will then report back to Jarmo with his findings and that's usually when the deep negotiations begin.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Could be Perron.

I think the Callahan ship has sailed. I'd be more than willing to bet its Edmonton so Perron makes sense. They are in the west and out of any playoff contention. However, Perron has a cap hit of 3.8, who goes in order to get him and fit under the cap?

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
I think the Callahan ship has sailed. I'd be more than willing to bet its Edmonton so Perron makes sense. They are in the west and out of any playoff contention. However, Perron has a cap hit of 3.8, who goes in order to get him and fit under the cap?

I'd guess either Tyutin or Nikitin + someone like Comeau.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
Nikitin + Comeau + draft pick?

Nikitin and Comeau, both soon to be UFA's who will most likely test the market and not sign with Edmonton. MacT laughs at this offer. Even if the pick is a 1st rounder.

Jarmo knows Perron from his St. Louis days, Jarmo went after him at the draft. Jarmo knows what he's getting in Perron. Would he send scouts to get their opinions on Perron? I think he wouldn't and if he has a shot at getting him, he would pull the trigger without anyone's thoughts and opinions(except for JD who can over rule him). I'm guessing/hoping(as a fan) that they're scouting Eberle. Everyone is waiting for MacT to make his bold moves that he said he would do. To make a bold move, you have to trade a big player and trading Eberle and acquiring a player like Tyutin would be a bold move.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Nikitin + Comeau + draft pick?
Wow, hon. Hopefully there's no Oil fans glancing around here to see that one. They'd eat you alive. Perron is to the Oilers as, say, Dubinsky or (formerly) Prospal is here - capable, inspiring, turning the culture around, and contributing very very well. They love him to death.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Wow, hon. Hopefully there's no Oil fans glancing around here to see that one. They'd eat you alive. Perron is to the Oilers as, say, Dubinsky or (formerly) Prospal is here - capable, inspiring, turning the culture around, and contributing very very well. They love him to death.

I honestly don't give a ****. Trade proposals don't mean anything and it's just a discussion on a message board. I don't live in fear of Oiler fans lurking and disagreeing with a fictional offer for something we have no control over.

They obviously need defense and no one wants to trade Tyutin, so we don't have much else on the back end to balance out the salaries. If I said Johnson, people would be pissed the other way, so it's really just an exercise in futility. Hon.

IHeartZherdev*

I honestly don't give a ****. Trade proposals don't mean anything and it's just a discussion on a message board. I don't live in fear of Oiler fans lurking and disagreeing with a fictional offer for something we have no control over.

They obviously need defense and no one wants to trade Tyutin, so we don't have much else on the back end to balance out the salaries. If I said Johnson, people would be pissed the other way, so it's really just an exercise in futility. Hon.

I would love us to trade Tyutin. Honestly, we can't keep Erixon in the AHL next year and Murray will be ready for a much larger role. Plus Savard is also looking like a capable NHL player. So moving Tyutin makes sense, especially with us needing to allocate more money to Johansen.

The idea that the Oilers are set on keeping Perron is pretty ludicrous, they have a ton of pressure on them to win and the are in the basement again: I think they'll be willing to deal just about anyone if they think they are getting back established players who can bring them to the playoffs next year.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I would love us to trade Tyutin.

Now there is a total shocker. Tyutin is probably one of the least attractive people to go to "save money" for Johansen (like we're going to have any issues at all fitting him in under the cap), but there you go.

Why don't you just say "I perpetually want to trade Tyutin and I will constantly try and make some justification for it even though it's just complete and total irrational hate because I'm in love with some dude that hasn't played in the NHL in years. Deep down I really know it wasn't Tyutin's fault, but I can't let it go after a decade or so."

Also, I see nothing to suggest that they have any interest in trading Perron. Veteran guy, producing with a great cap hit on a team that doesn't seem interested in spend anywhere near the cap.

IHeartZherdev*

Now there is a total shocker. Tyutin is probably one of the least attractive people to go to "save money" for Johansen (like we're going to have any issues at all fitting him in under the cap), but there you go.

Why don't you just say "I perpetually want to trade Tyutin and I will constantly try and make some justification for it even though it's just complete and total irrational hate because I'm in love with some dude that hasn't played in the NHL in years. Deep down I really know it wasn't Tyutin's fault, but I can't let it go after a decade or so."

Also, I see nothing to suggest that they have any interest in trading Perron. Veteran guy, producing with a great cap hit on a team that doesn't seem interested in spend anywhere near the cap.

I perpetually want to trade Tyutin. I don't think it's irrational. I'm not sure what the "in love" comment is about.

Edmonton does seem to be a good fit for his services, because they have enough youth and desperately need a puck-moving vet on the back end, which is a disaster.

Wiz and Jack are both ahead of Tyutin, and Murray will be by next season (already better IMO). Why pay that much for a 4th d-man?

We have a glut of young NHL D-men like Savard, Erixon, Goloubuf, Prout ready for a 3rd pairing, and replacing Tyutin with Nikitin or another vet wouldn't be a step down (we play fine whenever Tyutin misses time).

Johansen, Umberger (probably immovable), Horton, Dubinsky, Anisimov, and Foligno are all pricey and are part of the core. Not only will Johansen be getting a new deal but chances are after next season Bob will command a long term deal with the cap hit of an elite goalie. So get rid of an expensive piece like Tyutin does make sense, as it would also give the front office flexibility to make another trade or FA acquisition like Ryan Callahan or re-signing Gabby

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad