CBJ Fantasy Hockey Thread (post fantasy / video game items here)

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
So I just got NHL 16. And I was JUST about to compliment EA on Nationwide. The Cannon goes off after goals (although its waaaaaay to quiet), the right song comes on after they score, Stinger looks REALLY good in the stands when the show him.....and then the crowd started to chant

"Let's go Blue Jackets"

:facepalm: :facepalm:

It's so bad, like it does not flow at all. If they had watched one game at all they know it's just Jackets or C-B-J. Like I thought everyone knew thats a 3 word chant.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Yeah, that's not a huge deal, but when you are making a game, it's a feature you have to get right.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
So I just got NHL 16. And I was JUST about to compliment EA on Nationwide. The Cannon goes off after goals (although its waaaaaay to quiet), the right song comes on after they score, Stinger looks REALLY good in the stands when the show him.....and then the crowd started to chant

"Let's go Blue Jackets"

:facepalm: :facepalm:

It's so bad, like it does not flow at all. If they had watched one game at all they know it's just Jackets or C-B-J. Like I thought everyone knew thats a 3 word chant.

It's most likely the same audio clip that they've used for years. I have a copy of NHL04 for my computer, and it's the same there.

EA has always done the absolute bare minimum unless they're pushed to do something by another force (like an actual competitor). Their later NCAA football games used the same recycled screen shots from prior years. The new EA games are basically little more than hardcoded roster updates and a couple of new graphics, just as they've always been.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
It's most likely the same audio clip that they've used for years. I have a copy of NHL04 for my computer, and it's the same there.

EA has always done the absolute bare minimum unless they're pushed to do something by another force (like an actual competitor). Their later NCAA football games used the same recycled screen shots from prior years. The new EA games are basically little more than hardcoded roster updates and a couple of new graphics, just as they've always been.
16 is likely the last one I'll buy until I see major improvements. While a Be a Pro is waaaaaay better than what it was, Be a GM is almost unplayable now thanks to the Morale feature they added.

My first year as CBJ GM I get massive morale problems. Starting with Calvert. The team struggled he became "disgruntled" so his overall drops to a 74 overall from a 80. Lasted all season long and nobody in the top 6 was producing at all. The D was sorely struggling and Bobrovsky was hurt for 4 months to start and immediately became injured upon his return. Knowing I was fully out of it I traded Johnson for a 2017 1st, 2016 2nd and a random prospect. A week later Murray becomes disgruntled and before the trade deadline actually requests to be traded. Finished the season with only 22 wins with a completely healthy roster minus Bob.

The morale, player meetings and team meetings are SUPER repetitive. There's maybe 4 different scenarios each with 4 responses and every 2-3 weeks you get 3-4 players coming to you with the same ridiculous complaints or compliments.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
16 is likely the last one I'll buy until I see major improvements. While a Be a Pro is waaaaaay better than what it was, Be a GM is almost unplayable now thanks to the Morale feature they added.

My first year as CBJ GM I get massive morale problems. Starting with Calvert. The team struggled he became "disgruntled" so his overall drops to a 74 overall from a 80. Lasted all season long and nobody in the top 6 was producing at all. The D was sorely struggling and Bobrovsky was hurt for 4 months to start and immediately became injured upon his return. Knowing I was fully out of it I traded Johnson for a 2017 1st, 2016 2nd and a random prospect. A week later Murray becomes disgruntled and before the trade deadline actually requests to be traded. Finished the season with only 22 wins with a completely healthy roster minus Bob.

The morale, player meetings and team meetings are SUPER repetitive. There's maybe 4 different scenarios each with 4 responses and every 2-3 weeks you get 3-4 players coming to you with the same ridiculous complaints or compliments.

Yeah they tried the morale thing before and it didn't work then either. I've enjoyed the (little bit) of the game I've played so far. I don't have the time I used to have to dedicate to playing it though, so I guess I'm just happy to have a few minutes to myself, even if the game isn't that great :laugh:

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Yeah they tried the morale thing before and it didn't work then either. I've enjoyed the (little bit) of the game I've played so far. I don't have the time I used to have to dedicate to playing it though, so I guess I'm just happy to have a few minutes to myself, even if the game isn't that great :laugh:

The gameplay itself is (mostly) way better. It's all the small things that add up to a very "meh" experience. If you play a lot of versus online or with friends it's definitely worth it. However if you're playing mostly offline it can get aggravating. The game itself is a lot harder I think. I usually play on Superstar and I actually had to turn it down to all-star at least until I get use to it a little more.

I think I'm just gonna make a Werenski Be a Pro and focus on that and versus with friends and online.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
The gameplay itself is (mostly) way better. It's all the small things that add up to a very "meh" experience. If you play a lot of versus online or with friends it's definitely worth it. However if you're playing mostly offline it can get aggravating. The game itself is a lot harder I think. I usually play on Superstar and I actually had to turn it down to all-star at least until I get use to it a little more.

I think I'm just gonna make a Werenski Be a Pro and focus on that and versus with friends and online.

Haven't had a chance to try the EASHL yet but I'm excited to get into that ... it's always fun when you have good people to play with.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
SO I started over my BeaGm this time making some immediate changes with what little insight I had. So first thing I did was trade Dubinsky since Jenner is listed as a center in the game and Wennberg gets forced out (using best line feature) because of Jenner and Campbell and his overall suffers for it. So I traded Dubinsky for Gundbranson and Jagr straight up. Noticed a big difference starting the season and Jagr is my best player (Stat wise). And now with my D overflowing I decided I was going to shed some old dead weight and free up some space.

Trade Tyutin and Boll for S. Despres and then Campbell and Clarkson(1M retained) for Smith-Pelley.

So far so good...I'm also taking it a lot slower , I usually Sim month by month, now however I'm going by every two weeks.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Picked this up last night..

You weren't kidding about the Lets Go Blue Jackets chant sounding horrible and the cannon sound being pretty light.. yikes.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008

That's the story of the entire series right there. I remember when EA patched NHL98 for PC two or three times, but never fixed that drag shot. NHL99 allowed the computer opponent to be able to take slap shot one-timers; I remember almost planting my fist through the monitor when a hard-fought game went to OT and they won on this...the player taking the 95 MPH slap pass was all the way in the corner below the goal line with a man draped over him. NHL01 had the long-distance goals from the blue line that were guaranteed.

And all this escaped patches.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Picked this up last night..

You weren't kidding about the Lets Go Blue Jackets chant sounding horrible and the cannon sound being pretty light.. yikes.
I've found if you just chime in with the real chant over top it sounds okay :laugh:

That's the story of the entire series right there. I remember when EA patched NHL98 for PC two or three times, but never fixed that drag shot. NHL99 allowed the computer opponent to be able to take slap shot one-timers; I remember almost planting my fist through the monitor when a hard-fought game went to OT and they won on this...the player taking the 95 MPH slap pass was all the way in the corner below the goal line with a man draped over him. NHL01 had the long-distance goals from the blue line that were guaranteed.

And all this escaped patches.
Yeah I don't have Internet right now so what's on the disc is what I get. I'm sure there's already a few updates I'm missing. And players like Eichel and Hanifin can't be put in the game until they've dressed and played a game. So who knows when they'll patch them in.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
I've found if you just chime in with the real chant over top it sounds okay :laugh:

Yeah I don't have Internet right now so what's on the disc is what I get. I'm sure there's already a few updates I'm missing. And players like Eichel and Hanifin can't be put in the game until they've dressed and played a game. So who knows when they'll patch them in.

Ahh, you missed the first update/patch then..

I'm still enjoying it for what it is.. but improvements could be made everywhere.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Didn't want to clutter up your pre-season threads with this so I'll ask it here. How good is Anton Forsberg really, and does he have a direct route to the backup gig next season? Tough to guage goalies at the minor league level I know but interested in any feedback at all. Suffice to say it's a keeper league question.

Thanks!

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Forsberg was stellar last year in the AHL and really struggled during his stint in the NHL.

Korpisalo has looked great so far. I think Forsberg gets the first call up, but who knows.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
In one of my leagues, I was offered this trade

In: Ryan Johansen + Mike Green
Out: Erik Karlsson + Brandon Dubinsky

Any thoughts? My only problem with this trade is that it would leave the other team with both Karlsson AND Brent Burns...

Currently, I have Karlsson, Keith, Yandle, Savard, and Morgan Rielly on the back end, as well as Logan Couture, RNH, Bjugstad, Bozak, Vermette and Dubi at center

(The league runs 3 centers/LW/RW 4D and 3 Utility in the starting lineup)

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
In one of my leagues, I was offered this trade

In: Ryan Johansen + Mike Green
Out: Erik Karlsson + Brandon Dubinsky

Any thoughts? My only problem with this trade is that it would leave the other team with both Karlsson AND Brent Burns...

Currently, I have Karlsson, Keith, Yandle, Savard, and Morgan Rielly on the back end, as well as Logan Couture, RNH, Bjugstad, Bozak, Vermette and Dubi at center

(The league runs 3 centers/LW/RW 4D and 3 Utility in the starting lineup)

Much as it would be nice to have Joey, I don't think I do that.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Much as it would be nice to have Joey, I don't think I do that.

Thanks. I still am not sure what I will do, but it would really strengthen my group of centers...

Might as well post my entire roster and get some thoughts on it. Drafted 11th out of 12, took Kessel and Karlsson with 11+14th picks

Center:
Logan Couture
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
Brandon Dubinsky
Tyler Bozak
Nick Bjugstad
Antoine Vermette

LW:
Patrick Sharp
Alex Steen
Mike Hoffman
Marcus Johansson

RW:
Phil Kessel
Mats Zuccarello
Tommy Wingels
Kevin Hayes
Justin Williams
Craig Smith

D:
Erik Karlsson
Duncan Keith
Keith Yandle
David Savard
Morgan Rielly

G:
Semyon Varlamov
Frederik Andersen

Thoughts?

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I don't know the rules for your league or where you picked who, but a lot of those seem like good choices. Though I'm pretty skeptical that Patrick Sharp is going to return to form as a top-end scorer.

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
Can anyone tell me how the depth chart looks like for your dman to start the year. Trying to decide who to have in my lineup to start the year and it's between prout and connauton

Any info is much appreciated

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Can anyone tell me how the depth chart looks like for your dman to start the year. Trying to decide who to have in my lineup to start the year and it's between prout and connauton

Any info is much appreciated

If your fantasy team is dependent on that decision you may want to consider joining another league and drafting a bit better. :laugh:

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
If your fantasy team is dependent on that decision you may want to consider joining another league and drafting a bit better. :laugh:

It's a 30 man keeper league with full rosters and everything. On our 6th or 7th year. I took over after the first year and was left with not much. It's a long tough process building a team back up. I also owned kovalchuk who magically up and left so thatbhurt

I now have:

Centres - Sedin, scheifele, Kruger
Wingers - voracek, vrbata, ennis, Jenner, Drouin, grabovski, Matthias, clutterbuck, Matt Martin
Defense - yandle, hamonic, gunnarsson, schenn, chiarot, connauton and prout
Goalies - Colorado system

Anyways they are my 6/7 defencemen just looking to see which one projects to be in the lineup more to start the year.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad