Confirmed Signing with Link: [CBJ] Elvis Merzlikins signs extension (2 years, $4M AAV)

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
I think that it's possible that the AAV is elevated because Elvis's agent used the KHL as a potential tactic to get him extended to a Binnington-like bridge pact. Still not a bad deal, though, if he performs like he has this season.
If Elvis would have gone back to Europe it would have been back to Lugano, Switzerland, not the KHL.

Kellen

Apr 17, 2019
Huge Jackets fan- hate the deal. Wtf did this kid do besides play behind one of if not the best D in the NHL? Kid can’t handle shots from the point with traffic in front- will be Swiss cheese by the end of this.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Only two years and they have Cap Space so it’s not going to kill them.

As others have said, Columbus typically has to overpay to keep their players there.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I'm not sure how anyone thinks Jarmo screwed this up, he's played the goalie situation well for CBJ.

Drafted good goalies who have developed well, plenty of cap space, clearly made the right call re: Bob at 10 or Elvis/Korpi for 6.8.. Looks good to me for 2 years.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Ultimately I think I like Jarmo allowing both his goalies to go to UFA in two years, instead of giving them (or one of them) term. Korpisalo would have agreed to like 6m x 6 but I wouldn't feel great about signing him to term. Elvis seems to have higher upside and the better bet but I'm guessing he'd need a lot more to eat up his UFA years. I like these deals much more than his Werenski contract (which goes to a final, expensive arbitration year), given goalies are easier to replace and more volatile.

Last edited:

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
For those that may not be aware, both Elvis and Korpisalo had one more year of RFA status available and were eligible for arbitration. Although Elvis had less NHL experience, his statistics were better than Korpisalo and his experience outside the NHL was enough for the CBJ to feel the small sample size wasn't a fluke. He only got better as the year went on so there's a price to pay. Two years doesn't hamstring the CBJ and they have Tarasov coming over to the AHL next year. This will allow a read on him in North America to determine who to hitch their horses to long term. This is a low risk situation unless neither he, nor Korpisalo, actually continue to show they are #1 netminders in the NHL. If that were to happen 2 years is nothing to be concerned with. Arbitration rights and UFA status after one more year drove the difference between the two. Could Korpi have gotten more? Maybe but his stats worked against him in this situation.

Reactions: CoachWithNoTeam

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Anyone that has watched merzlikins knows that he's structurally very good. Even behind a decimated columbus team.

Both contracts regardless of value gives them a couple more years to figure out what they want to do with these two.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
Contracts and arb deals are done based on comps. This is where Merzy comped.

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
I have no issue with any deal that is two years long and medium hit. The position group is completely solidified for the next two years for under 10% of the cap. Columbus feels like we have a 1a/1b situation where we can feel confident in who is in goal 82 games a year for $6.8M. Before Korpi got down he was carrying the team and it was looking like he was going to get a long term #1G sort of deal. Then he went down and Elvis put up numbers near the very top of the league. If either player steps forward and takes the reigns, you have two very tradeable contracts. I would’ve thought Korpisalo would’ve made more and Elvis would’ve made less but in no way did I think they would together make under 7M.

Reactions: Dumais

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
Koskinen signed the deal when you still had to pay players extra to get them to play in Edmonton (league bottom). And his Edmonton numbers aren't too bad for a backup/1B:

84 GS, 43-34-9, .911, 2.85

Current season:
33 GS, 18-13-3, .917, 2.75
Hockey reference GSAA: +9.25 (#11 in the league with >= 30 starts).

Mike Smith current season:
37 GS, 19-12-6, .902, 2.95
GSAA: -7.71 (9th last in the league with >= 30 starts)

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
Good luck CBJ, a bit high, but hopefully he keeps improving, i would of aimed for 3M a year if that, his arbitration would of been like 2.5-2.9M imo, but that's not on me, im not the GM

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
He might have only played 30 games in the NHL but he's been excellent internationally for years, which must be why they gave him the money. It'll be interesting to see how it pans out. Worst case it's just two years.
It is somewhat high; that said if I was giving 4 mill to a goalie with this little NHL experience, it would be Merzlikins.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
The posts in here are absolutely atrocious. People are acting like the Jackets gave him a 7-8 year extension, its a 2 year prove it deal with a bit rich on the AAV. Even if you want to play the WORST case scenario where he is abysmal like he was at the start of this year, guess what, its only for two years and the Jackets can have him as a backup.

If Korpisalo beats him out, then he beats him out and is the starter. Why? Because its a short term investment.

People here are hilarious. Including a lot of CBJ fans.

Reactions: Viqsi and Monk

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
May have wanted to check the fine print that he was the most mentally fragile goalie in the league before signing this one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad