Confirmed Signing with Link: [CBJ] Elvis Merzlikins signs extension (2 years, $4M AAV)

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
IS that more than Korpisalo ?

Yes, Korpisalo signed for 2.8M AAV.

I wonder if Merzlikins had more leverage given that he stayed in Europe longer before coming over, and could've threatened to go back. Either that or his agent is a wizard.

He definitely had a higher peak this season than Korpisalo, but this seems like a lot for a small body of work. It's basically Binnington's deal, but Elvis doesn't have a ring yet.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
2 years apiece to battle for the top rung. Should be interesting.

Reactions: qqaz

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
8 million dollars for a 30 game sample? Don't get me wrong he looks promising/has talent but seems like an overpay given what has been proven (rather than postulated). Around what Korpisalo got seems more in line imo, however it may not matter if he ends up panning out/being the starter moving forwards.

Reactions: qqaz and Morrison

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
That is some piss poor negotiation. The guy plays 30 games in the NHL and they pay him 4M a year.

Yikes.

8 million dollars for a 30 game sample? Don't get me wrong he looks promising/has talent but seems like an overpay given what has been proven (rather than postulated). Around what Korpisalo got seems more in line imo, however it may not matter if he ends up panning out/being the starter moving forwards.

He's 26 and Columbus doesn't have a ton of leverage. He probably looked at the Binnington deal and wanted something in that range. Elvis had better regular season numbers behind a worse team, but didn't have hardware.

Columbus has to be creative and aggressive with their contracts, that just seems to be a fact of life for them right now. They can't afford to let talent walk. This at least buys a UFA year.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
He's 26 and Columbus doesn't have a ton of leverage. He probably looked at the Binnington deal and wanted something in that range. Elvis had better regular season numbers behind a worse team, but didn't have hardware.

Columbus has to be creative and aggressive with their contracts, that just seems to be a fact of life for them right now. They can't afford to let talent walk. This at least buys a UFA year.

How did Columbus not have leverage? Merzlikins was a RFA and the Swiss league doesn't pay anywhere near that kind of salary.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Goalies are super unpredictable. At least it’s not long term. Very promising player though.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
How did Columbus not have leverage? Merzlikins was a RFA and the Swiss league doesn't pay anywhere near that kind of salary.

Have you seen the talent that has walked in the last 2 years? The players know these things too. RFA or not, he could have played hardball.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
They had the cap room. And I suppose it's higher because it's a two year deal. Probably be lower if it was a one year deal, but then if he plays well again next year, then a third contract would be a lot higher

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
6.8 for the tandem is good and both only on two year deals. By the end of the deals I expect one to be the starter, one to be in Seattle, and Tarasov as the back up

Reactions: Monk

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I think that it's possible that the AAV is elevated because Elvis's agent used the KHL as a potential tactic to get him extended to a Binnington-like bridge pact. Still not a bad deal, though, if he performs like he has this season.

Reactions: Morrison

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->