Confirmed Trade: [CBJ/CAR] Jake Bean for '21 2nd (44OA)

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Canes fans, what Don doing?
Best I can figure is he's cleaning house of Ronnie's guys that don't fit their long term plans.

I actually don't hate this one, FAR less disagreement than the Ned trade. Bean wanted more opportunity and stuck behind Slavin and Skjei... yeah that's not happening any time soon. Plus Lajoie didn't look one bit out of place when he came in during the playoffs and we have one of the best dmen in the Swedish league on the way over. Add in that it sounds like we're in on Suter I think we're going to be fine on defense.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Best I can figure is he's cleaning house of Ronnie's guys that don't fit their long term plans.

I actually don't hate this one, FAR less disagreement than the Ned trade. Bean wanted more opportunity and stuck behind Slavin and Skjei... yeah that's not happening any time soon. Plus Lajoie didn't look one bit out of place when he came in during the playoffs and we have one of the best dmen in the Swedish league on the way over. Add in that it sounds like we're in on Suter I think we're going to be fine on defense.

I'll be more concerned if Hamilton leaves because Bean was the PP2 QB and there really isn't a PP QB left if Hamilton leaves.

Beyond that, he didn't look completely terrible when paired with Pesce at times, but Pesce makes everyone look better. Find a good stay at home D to pair with Bean and he'll be solid.

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
Not completely sold on this trade but Bean is a solid NHL player with upside and 44th overall in CoVid can be a flip of the dice. CBJ defense is looking a bit more stable now.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'll be more concerned if Hamilton leaves because Bean was the PP2 QB and there really isn't a PP QB left if Hamilton leaves.

Beyond that, he didn't look completely terrible when paired with Pesce at times, but Pesce makes everyone look better. Find a good stay at home D to pair with Bean and he'll be solid.

Columbus doesn't currently have any good stay at home D on the right side. Kukan, Boqvist, and Peeke, all a bit shaky or raw in some way. I'm not sure who to pair Bean with.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I don't understand any of this, and have questions, but okay.

1)Why are Carolina unloading a defenceman with some upside to potentially start moving into a bigger role? Especially if they do end up losing Dougie.

2)Why didn't Seattle just take Bean and do this? Did they get totally punked, by GMs conspiring together to shut the new team out so they don't have another Vegas scenario with egg on their faces?

3)Party to question 1, if Carolina are so amenable to moving on from Bean and the GM with deep Carolina ties didn't think he was worth it...how confident are Columbus that he's going to really "blossom" into something? I still really like Bean...but uh...hmmm...

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Columbus defense doesn’t look at the bad if the Jackets can sign a RD in free agency perhaps a Savard return to Columbus, or maybe Montour.

1st Pair LD Werenski RD FA Signing
2nd Pair LD Gavrikov RD Boqvist
3rd Pair LD Bean RD Kukan

Extra:
LD Harrington
LD Carlsson
RD Peeke

Ajaton Azer

A small hamster
Dec 5, 2005
Spandex
Going full Beans with 2nd rounder doesn't seem too bad for Columbus Blue Jarmos, this could certainly be a very nice acquisition indeed!

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I don’t think Bean ends up as more than a 3rd pair/2nd PPQB type, but he does still have some potential. I’ve watched him in the AHL for 2 years and of course last year in the NHL - he still can’t defend to save his life.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Columbus defense doesn’t look at the bad if the Jackets can sign a RD in free agency perhaps a Savard return to Columbus, or maybe Montour.

Extra:
LD Harrington
LD Carlsson
RD Peeke

Is Peeke still projected to be good? Feel like this is the opening he needs.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC

Extra:
LD Harrington
LD Carlsson
RD Peeke

Who's available as a top pair RHD? Lots of teams trying to find righties, don't think this player exists atm.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Who's available as a top pair RHD? Lots of teams trying to find righties, don't think this player exists atm.
RD UFA’s
RD Hamilton
RD Savard
RD Barrie
RD Montour
RD Hamonic
RD Hakanpaa
RD Ceci
RD Bogosian
RD Hjalmarsson
RD Gudbranson
RD Poolman