CBJ Board Other Sports Thread: Part XI

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
LeBron James

Two 2-year deals with opt out after 1 year, and a 3 year deal with opt out after two. Never committed to more than 2 years. You will need to scroll down for the Cleveland contracts.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
UPDATE 11/5 - NBA players approve Dec. 22 start and playing 72-game season

Had this proposal (with either a 60 or 72-game schedule) been adopted, the Cavaliers would actually have the fourth playoff seed in the Central Division right now, rather than being eliminated from postseason contention.

The Cavs haven't made the playoffs without LeBron since 1998. For perspective, in 1998 LeBron was in middle school. That's how long it has been since the Cavs haven't needed him to get into the playoffs. They were so bad last year their season effectively ended with the COVID shutdown. As a Cavs fan, I was opposed to the restart because of their exclusion.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Bengals having a rough draft. That trade down cost them their choice of OL in the second. Browns are in the conversation for the best draft and have 6 or 7 picks tomorrow.
The Bengals trade down and still got the player they wanted. I don't know if he is the right choice in the long run but he is the guy they wanted. Their draft seems fine. Lots of potential but I'm not blown away by any of them. I was a big proponent of drafting OL in the first round.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

And who is the marketing genius who thought this was a good idea?

Patrice Croci - go straight to Hell; do not pass Go and do not collect $200.

Ehh.

Does the logo suck? Yes. Do I really care that much that the official name won't have Crew in it? Not really. I'm just glad there is a team still here.

However the amount of b*tching I see about this from entitled supporters annoys me to no end. Threats to team employees, name calling, threats to boycott over a "label" is getting to be too much to bear.

They weren't this upset at ticket prices almost tripling in some locations of the new stadium. That is what made me mad.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
However the amount of b*tching I see about this from entitled supporters annoys me to no end. .

You mean the people that saved the team from moving? Yea, they suck.

It's their team, the owners are temporary and are screwing this up. Imagine going into a new stadium (which is only there because of the fans) and pissing all of them off....way to ruin a good thing.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I'll put this out here.

I'm not one for conspiracy theories but I will list this out.

1. Create publicity by making an unpopular decision.
2. Hold meeting with die hard supporters group who was already vocal enough to help keep the team in town.
3. During said meeting, immediately offer to put "Crew" back in the name and while you are at it drop "SC" as well and make it seem like it was the supporters idea.
4. Keep a variation of the new logo that you wanted all along that removes the last piece of Precourt.
5. Make a joint announcement of those changes showing a strong bond between supporters and ownership.

There is no such thing as bad publicity. You couldn't script a more successful rebrand. The team name has been all over media recently and got WAY MORE attention than they would by simply introducing a new logo.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I'll put this out here.

I'm not one for conspiracy theories but I will list this out.

1. Create publicity by making an unpopular decision.
2. Hold meeting with die hard supporters group who was already vocal enough to help keep the team in town.
3. During said meeting, immediately offer to put "Crew" back in the name and while you are at it drop "SC" as well and make it seem like it was the supporters idea.
4. Keep a variation of the new logo that you wanted all along that removes the last piece of Precourt.
5. Make a joint announcement of those changes showing a strong bond between supporters and ownership.

There is no such thing as bad publicity. You couldn't script a more successful rebrand. The team name has been all over media recently and got WAY MORE attention than they would by simply introducing a new logo.

So I am not the only one thinking this tonight. But instead of making a list, I figured they just used the New Coke game plan.

Reactions: Iron Balls McGinty

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

HAHAHA

So they spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to re-brand, realize they messed up, change their minds and go back to the original and it was their plan all along?

They couldn't have TRIED to fail harder.

Reactions: Toe Pick

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
I guess the Crew could recoup some of the money they spent on the failed rebrand via tax write off by donating the new merchandise to kids in Africa like the other leagues do ala the Buffalo Bills Super Bowl Champions shirts lol.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
^ That's some A list conspiracy theory shit right there. No way in hell someone intentionally does that to themselves. This is damage control 101.

HAHAHA

So they spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to re-brand, realize they messed up, change their minds and go back to the original and it was their plan all along?

They couldn't have TRIED to fail harder.

Not as far fetched as you might think. Millions of people in this country believe much more far fetched lies. This is a drop in the bucket and you couldn't script a better rebrand if you tried.

Owners have done literally everything right with this team and come out looking good because they did the "right thing". They had built plenty of goodwill for the investments they had made. If this really was the plan all along, there is very little risk because hardcore fanatics who complain the most will come running back like an ex-girlfriend because you dropped the "SC" from the name.

Hardcore fans coming out looking like heroes because they "saved the team" again.

Teams still gets a rebrand with a whole lot more media attention than a simple new logo would generate.

I'm not saying this is actually what happened but people absolutely know how to manipulate fanaticism for their own gain.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
I'm not saying this is actually what happened but people absolutely know how to manipulate fanaticism for their own gain.

Then they would have made the fans a part of the decision making process, offering press releases and tweets with fans fully on board and generating positive opinions from the get go.

They had 2 options: Ignore the fans or use their brains.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Then they would have made the fans a part of the decision making process, offering press releases and tweets with fans fully on board and generating positive opinions from the get go.

They had 2 options: Ignore the fans or use their brains.
But what fun is that? Major sports media wouldn’t run stories and give that attention. That is a boring process.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Not as far fetched as you might think. Millions of people in this country believe much more far fetched lies. This is a drop in the bucket and you couldn't script a better rebrand if you tried.

Owners have done literally everything right with this team and come out looking good because they did the "right thing". They had built plenty of goodwill for the investments they had made. If this really was the plan all along, there is very little risk because hardcore fanatics who complain the most will come running back like an ex-girlfriend because you dropped the "SC" from the name.

Hardcore fans coming out looking like heroes because they "saved the team" again.

Teams still gets a rebrand with a whole lot more media attention than a simple new logo would generate.

There's a key player in this you've left out that would lend at least a little more plausibility to your theory....

The MLS itself and Don Garber.

I don't think local ownership is as crafty and/or dumb (depending on your perspective) as you suggest. Again, the logical, straight-line thinking would be just listen to the fans in the first place and tout that rather than piss them off and THEN make a show of listening.

Buuuuuut ... what if this was never really the local folks idea? What if MLS and Garber were the ones pushing for it and local ownership is just being good soldiers and taking the hit? I don't know that that is the case but it certainly feels completely plausible to me. I don't want take the local owners totally off the hook as they went along with it and I'm sure at least somewhat bought into "hey, yeah new merch sales!" but MLS essentially owns all the teams and very clearly has a heavy hand over everything.

MLS: Do this.
Crew owners: Eh, ok, but fans aren't going to like it.
MLS: Do it.
Fans: BOOOOOOOO.
Crew owners: We told you.

I didn't even have to waste a shred of tin foil to come up with this one!

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
There's a key player in this you've left out that would lend at least a little more plausibility to your theory....

The MLS itself and Don Garber.

I don't think local ownership is as crafty and/or dumb (depending on your perspective) as you suggest. Again, the logical, straight-line thinking would be just listen to the fans in the first place and tout that rather than piss them off and THEN make a show of listening.

Buuuuuut ... what if this was never really the local folks idea? What if MLS and Garber were the ones pushing for it and local ownership is just being good soldiers and taking the hit? I don't know that that is the case but it certainly feels completely plausible to me. I don't want take the local owners totally off the hook as they went along with it and I'm sure at least somewhat bought into "hey, yeah new merch sales!" but MLS essentially owns all the teams and very clearly has a heavy hand over everything.

MLS: Do this.
Crew owners: Eh, ok, but fans aren't going to like it.
MLS: Do it.
Fans: BOOOOOOOO.
Crew owners: We told you.

I didn't even have to waste a shred of tin foil to come up with this one!
I heard it was all concocted in the basement of a pizza shop in Austin, TX.

SavesEmNot

Jul 2, 2012
Speaking of the Crew, they just pulled off a comeback win in stoppage time.

Zelarayán has three goals on the season, all from direct free kicks. :bow:

The bad news: Those are the only three goals scored by a Crew player this season. :(

Last edited:

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Speaking of the Crew, they just pulled off a comeback win in stoppage time.

Zelarayán has three goals on the season, all from direct free kicks. :bow:

The bad news: Those are the only three goals scored by a Crew player this season. :(
His back has got to be really sore carrying this whole team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad