CBJ Board Other Sports Thread: Part XI

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Ohio State basketball has been thrilling television in the Big Ten tournament. Build a big lead, lose a big lead, win in the end.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Ohio State basketball has been thrilling television in the Big Ten tournament. Build a big lead, lose a big lead, win in the end.

Yesterday they went bassackwards...fall into a large deficit, rally to take the lead, lose in OT. They got sloppy in overtime but still a great effort to come back from 17 down early on.

rotsbu

Feb 14, 2020
Didn't like seeing the Bucks bow out so early. Like it even less what's happened to EJ Liddell on social media:thumbd:

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I wasn't a fan of Holtmann the day He was hired

Will continue to under-perform as long as he is there

i like Holt. I don’t think this years team was very talented and played way over their heads (much like his previous teams). They played well as a team but didn’t have a real game changer. Washington was sometimes that, but not really until the end of the season. Liddell looks like he’ll be that guy soon.

I think we have a bright future with him

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
i like Holt. I don’t think this years team was very talented and played way over their heads (much like his previous teams). They played well as a team but didn’t have a real game changer. Washington was sometimes that, but not really until the end of the season. Liddell looks like he’ll be that guy soon.

I think we have a bright future with him
Agree w your analysis of season. For the most part, their lack of perimeter D (not just on 3, but in defending against the dribble drive) was a hurdle that ultimately got them. They were not as bad on D as Iowa, but close. Washington was a game changer when he took the ball to the basket routinely. He either scored or got to the line (or both). That made his 3-point shooting that much more effective. Unfortunately, there were too many games when he relied on 3-pointer first (very early in season, during the 4-game late-season swoon and in the NCAA game). Got team out of rhythm, took offensive rebounding opportunities away, took Liddell out of the focus or got Liddell the ball too late where Liddel would fade away instead of going straight to the rack. I think CJ Walker was a good player, but they needed someone with a little more umph in terms of leading the team and in defending on the ball to make the transition from really good to great team. Kyle Young provided some of that umph in leadership, but not enough of it at times, and the late-season concussion really hurt the entire team and rotation (not to mention the hobbling of Sueing and Towns). With the number of bodies they had most of the season (albeit hobbled in the end), and their general ability to rebound the basketball in spite of giving up size, would like to have seen them run more - they always seemed to have to work so hard for every basket, not many runouts or easy 3's in transition. That would have resulted in easier looks for Washington, as well as for Ahrens (who could not get open in the half-court once teams decided to take him away).

Not sure that the loss in the tournament should define their season, as ORU was a really strong a 15th seed and OSU was probably over-seeded a bit, thus making the tournament loss seem worse than it was. And yet in hindsight, Big Ten's performance in NCAA suggests that all the hype over Big Ten strength may have been just that - hype. You've still got to stop the other team more than you get stopped.

They probably exceeded expectations at the beginning of the season, but showed enough promise/potential that the last 9 games (even with the Big 10 Tournament run) felt so disappointing. Actually, the last 8 games - I thought they played a helluva game in the regular season against Michigan, just got beat. But then the swoon began.

Hopefully Holt finds a way to improve at point guard and defense without destroying some of the offensive character of this team. I don't know if Meechie Johnson is the guy, or if an incoming freshman is the guy, but they need someone in command of the ball so that you set up Washington as a scorer rather than the ball stopping in Washington's hands too frequently.

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
An ownership stake in the Cavs would be the best retirement present that Dan Gilbert could possibly give LeBron James. Especially if Gilbert grooms him to be his successor.

good luck with that. Gilbert and LeBron still don't like each other.

DatsyukBaker

Apr 28, 2021
First round of the draft last night, Bengals took chase, lots of OL went earlier than expected as well last night which doesn't look good for them.

Browns got one a CB that can give the Browns a legit 1A 1B CB situation. They really rebuild that secondary. They didn't expect Newsome to be there at 26, was eyeing Tryon.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
LeBron was never a Cleveland guy and still isn't. He is from Akron and never was a fan of any Cleveland teams. He was a Bulls, Cowboys, and Yankees fan. He used to get grief from fans here because he would wear a Yankee hat to Indian games. The only reason he came back to Cleveland was to rebuild his brand because of the flack he got for the way he left. It is no coincidence he only signed one year deals here and then when the time was right for him to go to LA he could just go. All of a sudden a multi-year deal was signed. I was never a LeBron fan, I preferred the Cavs teams of the 80's with Nance, Price, and Daugherty. They never won a championship, but they were more of a team than LeBron and the other guys were.

DatsyukBaker

Apr 28, 2021
Bengals having a rough draft. That trade down cost them their choice of OL in the second. Browns are in the conversation for the best draft and have 6 or 7 picks tomorrow.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
He signed two one year deals the first two seasons he was back, then signed a 3 year deal with a player opt out after 2 seasons. He never was committed for more than 2 years without an opt out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad