Salary Cap: CBJ and the salary cap

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I don't think that site would pass muster on TR&FA.
I'm sure it wouldn't and there is no truth to it. I just thought it seemed like an interesting proposition. Whoever wrote it is just some guy throwing out idea which is mostly what happens on this site. I don't think anyone ever claimed he was a legitimate source with inside information.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
As far as cash goes, with the Seattle expansion fee and the new TV deal (assuming it is not affected by the pandemic) cash should not be as much of a problem as if neither were happening. Lots of interesting things to come.

Has the expansion fee been paid yet? What if NHL/Seattle decides to delay a year because COVID-19? Does that delay the payment of the expansion fee (or balance if it has been partially paid)? They have already delayed once.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Has the expansion fee been paid yet? What if NHL/Seattle decides to delay a year because COVID-19? Does that delay the payment of the expansion fee (or balance if it has been partially paid)? They have already delayed once.

:dunno:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Playing around with the cap post-Domi trade.

Assuming Wennberg doesn't get bought out there is almost no chance Jackets sign a top UFA winger.

Questions to be answered are:

How much does Domi want? Rumors are 5-6 mm. No idea about length but I'd guess he and the Jackets would want 5 years at least.

Do Jackets want to lock up PLD for 8 years? If so I'm guessing 7.5mm per. Or would a shorter deal like Zach for 3 years at 5 -5.5 mm make sense for both sides?

How much does Gavrikov get? How long?

Thoughts?

Reactions: Cowumbus

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area

Assuming Wennberg doesn't get bought out there is almost no chance Jackets sign a top UFA winger.

How much does Domi want? Rumors are 5-6 mm. No idea about length but I'd guess he and the Jackets would want 5 years at least.

Do Jackets want to lock up PLD for 8 years? If so I'm guessing 7.5mm per. Or would a shorter deal like Zach for 3 years at 5 -5.5 mm make sense for both sides?

Thoughts?
Domi wants $5.3 per year :sarcasm:

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217

Thoughts?
PLD “liking” posts about a bridge deal on Twitter...

take that for whatever its worth

Reactions: CoachWithNoTeam

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
PLD “liking” posts about a bridge deal on Twitter...

take that for whatever its worth

Normally I would be in favor of locking him up but given flat cap (and maybe next year too) I think a 3 year 5 mm deal works.

Antawn

Jan 30, 2020
Since Gavrikov is a 10.2c (or whatever that designation is), we could keep him low on a 2 year deal. 1.5? But I bet the jackets find a way to get a 3rd year on there because as of right now we have no d-men signed past '22. Dont need him, Z and Jones as FA at the same time. That 3+ year deal might have to come after a trade to fit it in with PLD and Domi. Adds in to the idea that we will not be signing and FAs this year.

Antawn

Jan 30, 2020
Sorry if off topic, but it's a salary thought. Korpi at 2.2mil is such a valuable contract in this flat cap environment. I think he and Murray could get us Gaudreau. How close do he and Murray/Savard get us to a Nugent-Hopkins from Edmonton? It's a great time to have a "surplus" player on a great contract.

Reactions: Cowumbus

Finner

Dec 8, 2018
We have zero problems with the cap. Jarmo is wizard what comes to numbers. Wenny buyour Dubi LITR
+ incoming trades and we have 10-15M . Jarmo have mancrush about PLD,Jones and Z and he will build the team around atleast 2 of them. Id say in other tread 2y window is open and something is flying in. (Something else but flies and jehova whitnesses)

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
We have zero problems with the cap. Jarmo is wizard what comes to numbers. Wenny buyour Dubi LITR
+ incoming trades and we have 10-15M . Jarmo have mancrush about PLD,Jones and Z and he will build the team around atleast 2 of them. Id say in other tread 2y window is open and something is flying in. (Something else but flies and jehova whitnesses)

Dubi LITR only comes into play if Jackets are over the cap. I don't know how much of his deal is covered by insurance or if Jackets have the cash to pay over the cap.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Dubi LITR only comes into play if Jackets are over the cap. I don't know how much of his deal is covered by insurance or if Jackets have the cash to pay over the cap.
I would assume his was insured and I believe he amount is 80% covered.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Thanks! That's good info! That 80% is for money purposes, not cap tho, right? He still won't be on the cap at all. Important for CBJ for sure though.

LITR is a complicated thing imo. When I look at how much cap we have to play with I just ignore Dubi. If he is included and the total is over 81.5 then the overage is reduced by that portion of his hit that is needed to reach the limit.

Right now ignoring Dubi and assuming PLD signs for 6 and Gav for 3 the Jackets will be at 77.7 without considering Dubi. To me that means they can spend 3,8mm on an fee agent. If they sign for a million a piece less we can spend 5.8 I don't see anyway we get Hall here for that. To me a 2 fo 1 deal where we take back less cap than we send has to happen. Or a trade for picks and prospects whose salaries can be buried in AHL.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
LITR is a complicated thing imo. When I look at how much cap we have to play with I just ignore Dubi. If he is included and the total is over 81.5 then the overage is reduced by that portion of his hit that is needed to reach the limit.

Right now ignoring Dubi and assuming PLD signs for 6 and Gav for 3 the Jackets will be at 77.7 without considering Dubi. To me that means they can spend 3,8mm on an fee agent. If they sign for a million a piece less we can spend 5.8 I don't see anyway we get Hall here for that. To me a 2 fo 1 deal where we take back less cap than we send has to happen. Or a trade for picks and prospects whose salaries can be buried in AHL.

Murray or Savard has to go for picks, bury Harrington in the minors.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad