Cavs vs. Warriors: Who's getting sick of seeing the same teams in the Finals?

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
KD listed at 6'9
Greg Oden listed at 7'0

kevin-durant-of-the-seattle-supersonics-and-greg-oden-of-the-portland-picture-id75956857

KD 6'9
LeBron 6'8

espn_pow_dec28_03.jpg

The great debate is over: Warriors' Kevin Durant finally admits his real height

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
They look the same height.

Durant’s shoulders are a little higher than Love’s, and the top of his head is right at the top of the picture, whereas Love’s isn’t quite. Seems reasonable to say that KD is .75” taller.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I was somewhat rooting for it for 3 reasons.

1. The memes (Cavs vs Warriors season 4 was filmed in front of a live audience)

2. Maybe for once the Stanley Cup Finals regardless of the finalists would get some attention instead of the tired old LeBron vs Jordan debates. Yeah fat chance.

3. I could finally convince my basketball friends that the Stanley Cup playoffs are simply better. So far not working.

It's quite pathetic and damn hilarious that out of 30 teams, only 2 have won their conference in 4 seasons. For crying out loud the Cavaliers were a dysfunctional comedy act for a chunk of the season and yet even being the 4th seed they still win the weak as hell
East.

As for the Warriors, I don't hate them but holy hell their bandwagon fanbase is just as bad as Miami's was during the LeBron years. I'm of the opinion that NBA bandwagon fans are the worst kind of sports fans you can find in North America. Ignorant jackasses who swear up and down they are loyal but 5 years ago were rocking Lakers gear. Even with Curry being a local boy there are no-nothings at Hornets games wearing his jersey that don't even know where Davidson college is or even know what college he attended, all the while popping their jerseys screaming "We own this place".

But it's fine I guess. I for one could do without another Boston team in a championship final so there's that.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
When your team has suffered like the Cavs and Warriors for most of their tenure, it's nice to have some prolonged success. Cavs were not a contender until Lebron came along, Golden State last won in 1975 and were successful in the late 80's/early 90's but did not compete for a championship. They were horrible during the late 90's and most of the 2000's.

Reactions: Voight

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
These are two great teams and I am not sick of seeing it. If only NHL has no salary cap so we could have two stacked teams in SCF, like pre-lockout.

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
Since MJ's "The Shot" in 1998, 2012 has been the only Finals that did not involve Texas and California (OKC-Miami). That's 20 seasons! Now, TX and CA are the two largest mainland states and they have 7 of the 30 NBA teams. But still, that's not an excuse for the lack of parity.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
When your team has suffered like the Cavs and Warriors for most of their tenure, it's nice to have some prolonged success. Cavs were not a contender until Lebron came along, Golden State last won in 1975 and were successful in the late 80's/early 90's but did not compete for a championship. They were horrible during the late 90's and most of the 2000's.

Cavs had a few years in early 90's they were legit contender including a loss to Jordan Bulls in 6 games in ECF

In 89 they were favorite to unseat the Piston in East when this happened

It was considered a huge upset given the year Cavs had while Bulls struggled and most people talked about how Cavs were going to have revenge for Bulls 5 game series win the year before

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Cavs had a few years in early 90's they were legit contender including a loss to Jordan Bulls in 6 games in ECF

In 89 they were favorite to unseat the Piston in East when this happened

It was considered a huge upset given the year Cavs had while Bulls struggled and most people talked about how Cavs were going to have revenge for Bulls 5 game series win the year before

The Shot happened, MJ was out of this world.

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
Not even watching NBA anymore, I called the finals and the outcome (just like everybody else) at the start of the year and the year before too. NBA is a boring f***ing joke.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Not even watching NBA anymore, I called the finals and the outcome (just like everybody else) at the start of the year and the year before too. NBA is a boring ****ing joke.
I'll say it again: both conference finals went 7 games and if Paul doesn't get hurt the Warriors wouldn't be in the finals right now.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
It's reached a point where I genuinely question how anyone can find it enjoyable to watch. Even through all the Cavs' "struggles" this year, I never once doubted that it would be the Warriors beating the Cavs in the Finals.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Probably because people like seeing the best versus the best. You're seeing a once in a generation player against a dynasty.

If both Boston and Houston were healthy the story might be different. Both had homecourt and multiple chances to close the former teams out. They failed. So it's all but a non-issue at this point.

What everyone should be rooting for is having LeBron sign in the Western Conference. The West is difficult as it is but that would at least open up the East.

Boston will be the heavy favorite but I can't see them going on a stretch like LeBron has had.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Probably because people like seeing the best versus the best. You're seeing a once in a generation player against a dynasty.

If both Boston and Houston were healthy the story might be different. Both had homecourt and multiple chances to close the former teams out. They failed. So it's all but a non-issue at this point.

What everyone should be rooting for is having LeBron sign in the Western Conference. The West is difficult as it is but that would at least open up the East.

Boston will be the heavy favorite but I can't see them going on a stretch like LeBron has had.
It just makes the league a farce. 82 regular season games and three 7 game series for what? Teams like the Warriors and Cavs (despite their team being epically mismanaged) can legitimately just coast through the season without a worry. It reminds me of Usain Bolt legitimately jogging through his qualifiers on his way to the 100m finals. When it's an individual sport like sprinting and the majority of people only see it once every 4 years it can be entertaining to watch, but when you're talking about a team sport that people are invested in watching every year, and that runs 8/9 months out of the year, everything just becomes tedious.

Everyone knows what is going to happen, and Golden State beating Cleveland was always even more likely than Cleveland winning the East. This "best on best" is going to be a sweep, or MAYBE a 5 game series. From a competitive standpoint, nothing means anything outside of the Warriors or wherever LeBron goes. Say LeBron leaves the East, and it "opens up" that Conference. So what? It would be the equivalent of the NHL expanding to 12 teams and pairing up all the expansion teams in one Conference so one of them makes it to the Final to get slaughtered. It's an absolute joke to be honest.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Per retro perspective:

Celtics won 11 championships during the Bill Russell era: 1957, 1959, 1960-1966, 1968 and 1969. Then they only won 2 in the 1970's, 3 in the 1980's and didn't win another until 2008.

Lakers won 5 of their first championships in Minneapolis, 1 championship during the West era, 5 during the 1980's showtime era then another 5 in the 2000 Kobe era.

Bulls won all of their's in the 1990's.

San Antonio won in 1999, 2003, 2005, 2007 and 2014..so there's a couple leap years in there.

Warriors won their first 2 in Philadelphia, won again in 1975 in Oakland and now are on the verge of winning 3 in 4 years.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Well folks after tonight we will never the Cavaliers in the Finals again. In fact, they are probably a lottery team next season.

Oh but the Warriors will win next years championship. But hey at least someone new will get their ass kicked by them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad