Pre-Game Talk: @ Cats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I mean it's not a coincidence that young careers die in Edmonton and continue to do so.

If Yamamoto doesn't start putting up numbers by next year it'll be his name in these discussions.
No it’s not a coincidence. But it’s certainly not a matter of “this player just needs more ice time”

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
No it’s not a coincidence. But it’s certainly not a matter of “this player just needs more ice time”
For sure but I think the blame more lies with the organization than the player.

It's been obvious to fans on this board for awhile now that he and Yamamoto should be in the AHL yet they refuse to do so.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
For sure but I think the blame more lies with the organization than the player.

It's been obvious to fans on this board for awhile now that he and Yamamoto should be in the AHL yet they refuse to do so.
Blame is a tough word for young players. I don’t blame Puljujarvi for not being any good. It’s just the way he is.

So yes I would agree this is an organizational issue. Although it’s probably as much drafting as it is development

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Blame is a tough word for young players. I don’t blame Puljujarvi for not being any good. It’s just the way he is.

So yes I would agree this is an organizational issue. Although it’s probably as much drafting as it is development
Agreed. Drafting and development for this team is still subpar.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Which organization would take an offense first winger with a top 5 pick on a team full of skilled centers and never give him even one look on the top PP unit or give him virtually no top 6 minutes down the stretch of a lost season while players who have no future here got oodles of top 6 time?

Saying that the player simply isn't good is giving a pass to an organization that constantly fails to develop talent. I'm sure it's a bit of both but development is a far bigger issue than drafting IMO.

Reactions: Louis Cypher

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
Those prospects you listed were actually good though...they made a difference, hence the ice time.
Not exactly, Pastrnak had 26 points in his second year (before his breakout year where the ice time I quoted is from). And yet he played most of the year with Krejci.

You’re comparing Puljujarvi do some of the leagues most elite young players. We are beyond the stage when the comparisons are apt. These guys got minutes because they were elite.

Puljujarvi is nothing in comparison.

No, my point is that they became good players because they got ice time, and most of them with really good players. In no circumstance did any of those guys play as few minutes as JP has played this year, in any of their years not just breakout year - except Leon because, well, Oilers.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
No, my point is that they became good players because they got ice time, and most of them with really good players. In no circumstance did any of those guys play as few minutes as JP has played this year, in any of their years not just breakout year - except Leon because, well, Oilers.

They became good players because they could play hockey at a basic level and earned their ice time.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Hard to feel sorry for him that they dropped in one lottery, they had several glorious chances in the 2015 and 2016 drafts

2015:

16th pick: Barzal, Kyle Connor, Brock Boeser available (Oilers trade pick)
33rd pick: Sebastian Aho available. (Oilers trade pick)

2016:

4th pick: Sergachev, Tkachuk, Keller available.
32nd pick: Alex DeBrincat available (strong ties to McDavid)

I mean OK, you're not going to get every pick right, but is it asking for too much to hope for 1/4 picks to go right when you have several good players available?

The 2015 trade of draft picks killed me. Chiarelli trades a 1st and 2nd for a guy that wasn’t making the Isles. The management then had the nerve to say they were not gonna draft Barzal anyway. If they were not gonna draft Barzal , well we have issues with our scouting staff.
I understand Dman cost lots, but what did Reinhart accomplish besides Mem Cup. Too slow for NHL

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
The 2015 trade of draft picks killed me. Chiarelli trades a 1st and 2nd for a guy that wasn’t making the Isles. The management then had the nerve to say they were not gonna draft Barzal anyway. If they were not gonna draft Barzal , well we have issues with our scouting staff.
I understand Dman cost lots, but what did Reinhart accomplish besides Mem Cup. Too slow for NHL

Yeah, Reinhart never looked like he would be a decent Dman at any point after his draft; even us casual fans could objectively see that. Usually a d-man will display raw skills at a younger age, but Reinhart seemed completely devoid of any NHL-calibre skill

Reactions: Oilers in NS

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Which organization would take an offense first winger with a top 5 pick on a team full of skilled centers and never give him even one look on the top PP unit or give him virtually no top 6 minutes down the stretch of a lost season while players who have no future here got oodles of top 6 time?

Saying that the player simply isn't good is giving a pass to an organization that constantly fails to develop talent. I'm sure it's a bit of both but development is a far bigger issue than drafting IMO.

To add to this he has had the odd stretch where he looked like the player that we hoped he would be but even then there was no pp time.

Not that the player is blameless but what frustrate me is that it seems that there is a need to "teach a player" to play well away from the puck, but almost no imperative to nurture the offensive side of the game. The last time they sent Puljujarvi down it was with explicit instructions to focus on his play away from the puck and along the boards. Even when there were reports from the farm that he was playing better in this regard there was no mention of the fact that his offensive game was looking worse than it did on day one.

So while I even understand that you might not want him going freestyle at ES why not give him some pp time to gain some confidence offensively. Since he came into the league he sits 23rd on the team in average pp toi/g at 47 seconds. Aberg averaged 1:07. Jokinen 1:12, Yamamto 1:13, Caggiula gets 1:16. Letestu was 5th at 2:17 ahead of Nugent-Hopkins and Eberle. The only forwards getting consistently fewer pp chances were guys like Khaira, Slepyshev, Kassian and Lander.

People lament not picking Barzal after his great rookie year. But if you watched those games it would be clear that they put him in a position to exploit his strengths and to play with creativity. Barzal, Eberle and Beuvillier were allowed to think offense first and Barzal ran with it. This year he is having to shoulder the full responsibilities of being a #1C and his offense is suffering. Last year he had 54 5vs5 points. This year he is on pace for about 27 and even though the Islanders are doing relatively well Barzal is getting chewed up defensively. More to the point he is creating way fewer chances.

It's tough for a young guy to carry the weight offensively and even tougher if he is asked to play a style that is foreign to him.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
They became good players because they could play hockey at a basic level and earned their ice time.
Sorry, I think the tone of my post has been misleading.

My point is this: either Jesse needs to play 14+ minutes in the NHL with good offensive players, or in the AHL. Not scrub minutes.

Reactions: Porkleaker

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Sorry, I think the tone of my post has been misleading.

My point is this: either Jesse needs to play 14+ minutes in the NHL with good offensive players, or in the AHL. Not scrub minutes.

I'm not sure where he plays is going to change anything.

He's still so bad at the basics that he looks like a Timbits players out there.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Timbits player is pretty unfair.

I think Puljujarvi at this point is a fine guy that you can have in your bottom 6 and he won't hurt you, but we aren't trying to develop this guy into another Ryan Strome here.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Timbits player is pretty unfair.

I think Puljujarvi at this point is a fine guy that you can have in your bottom 6 and he won't hurt you, but we aren't trying to develop this guy into another Ryan Strome here.

Considering he's bleeding goals against and allows the most high danger chances on the team, he can definitely hurt you.

He's got a long way to go to even be a Ryan Strome.

Reactions: Blue line Howie

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Considering he's bleeding goals against and allows the most high danger chances on the team, he can definitely hurt you.

He's got a long way to go to even be a Ryan Strome.

Yeah, he's been pretty crap this year so far. I've been one of the first guys in line to point that out.

But that's not that many games. Last season he was one of the better statistical defensive forwards on the team.

EDIT: Again though, we didn't draft this guy to be a 30 point player that treads water against weak competition. The expectations for Puljujarvi need to be a lot higher than that.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Yeah, he's been pretty crap this year so far. I've been one of the first guys in line to point that out.

But that's not that many games. Last season he was one of the better statistical defensive forwards on the team.

Getting back to being that player would be a good first step for him.

Reactions: oXo Cube
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad