Pre-Game Talk: @ Cats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
Not a chance.

No prospect succeeds with that little ice time. None, zilch. I'll repeat, ice time in their breakout year:
Rantanen18
Nylander16
Pastrnak14
Barkov17
Ehlers17.5
Leon18
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

When he is playing, Jesse is at 12/night.
Those prospects you listed were actually good though...they made a difference, hence the ice time.

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
Khaira had a couple of bad games and needs to sit. Yams did nothing in his only game since being HS'd and tmac wants him to sit so the only player left is JP, and only spot is on the 4th line. I'm not really a fan of this move. Yams deserves at least 2 games to see what he can bring (unless this has something to do with the 9 game mark).

Glad to see Lucic isn't suspended, and he shouldn't be. Another MSG to the league. We will beat your ass if you do stupid shit to our players and the league will be ok with it. Or something like that ;)

Echoing the others; another early must win type game.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Khaira had a couple of bad games and needs to sit. Yams did nothing in his only game since being HS'd and tmac wants him to sit so the only player left is JP, and only spot is on the 4th line. I'm not really a fan of this move. Yams deserves at least 2 games to see what he can bring (unless this has something to do with the 9 game mark).

Glad to see Lucic isn't suspended, and he shouldn't be. Another MSG to the league. We will beat your ass if you do stupid **** to our players and the league will be ok with it. Or something like that ;)

Echoing the others; another early must win type game.

well cats got Trochek who's a bitch so lets see what happens.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
At this point, Pulju needs to be either traded or playing big minutes in the AHL. Being on the 4th line and likely <10 minutes icetime per night will do nothing but erode what little trade value he has left. If he were in the AHL and producing some offense he'd at least offer teams curious about him the mystique of untapped offensive potential and maybe they'd give up something decent for him.

If Chiarelli had any hair left to pull, he'd be tearing it out over what's looking more and more like a colossal waste of an opportunity...went into the draft lottery with the 2nd overall pick in a draft where the unquestioned top 3 were Matthews/Laine/Puljujarvi, lottery drops them to 4th so goodbye Laine, then to the surprise of most they still find Puljujarvi on the board at 4 so they all but scamper to the podium to select him...only to realize a couple years later that for all his physical ability and physique, can't seem to figure out how to find success playing the NHL game.

It wouldn't surprise me to see him traded at or before the trade deadline this year.

Reactions: Aerrol

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
At this point, Pulju needs to be either traded or playing big minutes in the AHL. Being on the 4th line and likely <10 minutes icetime per night will do nothing but erode what little trade value he has left. If he were in the AHL and producing some offense he'd at least offer teams curious about him the mystique of untapped offensive potential and maybe they'd give up something decent for him.

If Chiarelli had any hair left to pull, he'd be tearing it out over what's looking more and more like a colossal waste of an opportunity...went into the draft lottery with the 2nd overall pick in a draft where the unquestioned top 3 were Matthews/Laine/Puljujarvi, lottery drops them to 4th so goodbye Laine, then to the surprise of most they still find Puljujarvi on the board at 4 so they all but scamper to the podium to select him...only to realize a couple years later that for all his physical ability and physique, can't seem to figure out how to find success playing the NHL game.

It wouldn't surprise me to see him traded at or before the trade deadline this year.

Hard to feel sorry for him that they dropped in one lottery, they had several glorious chances in the 2015 and 2016 drafts

2015:

16th pick: Barzal, Kyle Connor, Brock Boeser available (Oilers trade pick)
33rd pick: Sebastian Aho available. (Oilers trade pick)

2016:

4th pick: Sergachev, Tkachuk, Keller available.
32nd pick: Alex DeBrincat available (strong ties to McDavid)

I mean OK, you're not going to get every pick right, but is it asking for too much to hope for 1/4 picks to go right when you have several good players available?

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Not a chance.

No prospect succeeds with that little ice time. None, zilch. I'll repeat, ice time in their breakout year:
Rantanen18
Nylander16
Pastrnak14
Barkov17
Ehlers17.5
Leon18
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Those other guys showed they are ready to play those minutes though. They forced the issue.

sooni

Oct 23, 2014
Vaasa
Jesus dudes cmon. Pulju is only 20years old. Everyone should just look Granlund right now... He is peaked after Mike Yeo left the building. Finnish players are performing a bit later, but they will do. Normal Peak time is after 23. I find Puljus case kinda similar. We need to be patient.

Cypress

Mar 4, 2018
I'd rather see puljujarvi on the 4th line right now than scratched. Need to give the dude a chance to earn more ice time on a 4th line that's been pretty good. Glad to see yamamoto scratched, but they need to send him down already. He's like a cagguila without the finish and hitting. Baby steps - get him the chance to work on his scoring in the AHL.

hallhopkinseberle

Jul 14, 2007
london
Hard to feel sorry for him that they dropped in one lottery, they had several glorious chances in the 2015 and 2016 drafts

2015:

2016:

I mean OK, you're not going to get every pick right, but is it asking for too much to hope for 1/4 picks to go right when you have several good players available?

I think It was rumored that the Oilers were going to pick Eriksson Ek and Carlo in 2015. Both are solid NHL players right now.

Also, Benson is a good prospect so they didn't get all of those picks wrong I know Debrincat is considered better but you can't hit all the prospects. Plus If we picked Sergachev, I think Hall would still be an Oiler. The Reinhart trade was horrible and I think everyone could agree with that. Even at the time, it was considered a bad move. The only way I could think it would make sense in my mind was that Katz/Nicholson wanted a defender at the draft. A guy that could step in and play and help the team and was one of the goals for Peter to do and Peter was backed into a corner and forced to make that move because that's the only way it could make sense in my mind. No one was going to give what the Oilers needed either as honestly at that time we were a Hamilton away from being a great team in the short and long run.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think It was rumored that the Oilers were going to pick Eriksson Ek and Carlo in 2015. Both are solid NHL players right now.

Also, Benson is a good prospect so they didn't get all of those picks wrong I know Debrincat is considered better but you can't hit all the prospects. Plus If we picked Sergachev, I think Hall would still be an Oiler. The Reinhart trade was horrible and I think everyone could agree with that. Even at the time, it was considered a bad move. The only way I could think it would make sense in my mind was that Katz/Nicholson wanted a defender at the draft. A guy that could step in and play and help the team and was one of the goals for Peter to do and Peter was backed into a corner and forced to make that move because that's the only way it could make sense in my mind. No one was going to give what the Oilers needed either as honestly at that time we were a Hamilton away from being a great team in the short and long run.

We needed to do better than that with 4 picks ... we needed to hit pay dirt with at least one out of 4 instead of what likely could be 0/4.

You can make all the excuses and justifications or it, but that's not good enough if the goal is to have a high end hockey team. Sorry.

It's like a goalie, sometimes you need your goalie to make a damn save.

Anyways getting back to the game, so Yamamoto is out for sure?

Last edited:

Burnoutboi

Jul 3, 2006
Grande Prairie, Alberta
Even though it’s not Puljus’ game, I hope Brodziak and Kassian can instill a check anything that moves mentality in him. The fourth line works best when they go out, smash some bodies then get off ice.

Mez

Nov 16, 2017

2015:

2016:

You cant bring a traded pick into this argument that we are not drafting well...Also EVERYONE in the league thought Pulja was picked were he should be. and anything after 20 is basically a gamble anyways. So in other words we got unlucky. which happens to more teams than just the Oilers.

backhandsauce

Oct 19, 2009
Actually Kass and Brodz can cycle the puck well. JP just needs to get to the front of the net and hopefully they can cash in on one tonight.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
You cant bring a traded pick into this argument that we are not drafting well...Also EVERYONE in the league thought Pulja was picked were he should be. and anything after 20 is basically a gamble anyways. So in other words we got unlucky. which happens to more teams than just the Oilers.

They sure get "unlucky" a lot. They could have had a combination of say Barzal, Aho, Sergachev or Tkachuk, and Debrincat. Instead they opted to go with Reinhart, Puljujarvi, Benson.

I mean I'm not expecting 100% or even 50% hit rate, but above 0% would be nice. Teams that are good convert at a higher rate than that.

Anyways this convo is probably better suited to a different thread as it doesn't directly pertain to the game tonight. I take it Talbot is starting.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Garrison adds a shot and some physicality. I'd probably take him over Gravel for those seasons. Hopefully Gravel steps up his play or shows another dimension to it.

Garrison isn't physical. Gravel is a defensive defenseman, he doesn't have or need another dimension to be effective.

The Oilers just need him to stabilitze that 3rd pairing, nothing more and that's pretty much what he's done in his time here better than Garrison IMO.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Not a chance.

Rantanen18
Nylander16
Pastrnak14
Barkov17
Ehlers17.5
Leon18
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

You’re comparing Puljujarvi do some of the leagues most elite young players. We are beyond the stage when the comparisons are apt. These guys got minutes because they were elite.

Puljujarvi is nothing in comparison.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
You’re comparing Puljujarvi do some of the leagues most elite young players. We are beyond the stage when the comparisons are apt. These guys got minutes because they were elite.

Puljujarvi is nothing in comparison.
I mean it's not a coincidence that young careers die in Edmonton and continue to do so.

If Yamamoto doesn't start putting up numbers by next year it'll be his name in these discussions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad