Catastrophe for the NHL: worst TV ratings ever incoming for the conferences finals + cup final

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
What's the point then? I might as well check the score and not even bother.

Plus they're slapped in our face during any break.

The state of hockey right now is laughable.
Because I can watch an entire hockey game without knowing the score in around 65 minutes. I don't watch intermissions so the experience is very enjoyable. The state of hockey is fine but the world likes to complain about everything.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
What's the point then? I might as well check the score and not even bother.

Plus they're slapped in our face during any break.

The state of hockey right now is laughable.
I record game, start about 40 minutes late, don’t see any commercials, or gambling ones, just jump over them all, it’s the best. Catch up to live around the end of the game.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Because I can watch an entire hockey game without knowing the score in around 65 minutes. I don't watch intermissions so the experience is very enjoyable. The state of hockey is fine but the world likes to complain about everything.
Again, what's the point? If I'm not going to watch it live I'm not going to watch it at all. 2 seconds to check the score on my phone and I'm saved 65 minutes of annoyance and Cabbie trying to hock gambling crap at me.

There's many reasons why the NHL is a crappy league, this is just one of them.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Again, what's the point? If I'm not going to watch it live I'm not going to watch it at all. 2 seconds to check the score on my phone and I'm saved 65 minutes of annoyance and Cabbie trying to hock gambling crap at me.

Well hopefully you find the entertainment you are looking for. When PVR a game and watch it without knowing the result, it is the same to me as watching it live. The NHL can always improve but no one bitches quite like a hockey fan, as evidenced by this thread.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Well hopefully you find the entertainment you are looking for. When PVR a game and watch it without knowing the result, it is the same to me as watching it live. The NHL can always improve but no one bitches quite like a hockey fan, as evidenced by this thread.
I can find entertainment just fine, it would just be nice to not be bombarded with gambling ads or those seizure-inducing board ads. It takes a lot out of the game.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
I can find entertainment just fine, it would just be nice to not be bombarded with gambling ads or those seizure-inducing board ads. It takes a lot out of the game.
I would concur the board ads are terrible. Most of the other complaints I hear are not a big deal to me. Whether they are advertising gambling, booze (I have Molson beer commercials from the 80s still stuck in my head), that is something that I could not care less about.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014

I just wanna know....how can one hate Hockey and the NHL so much and have almost 70,000 posts on a hockey/NHL website?

Reactions: VivaLasVegas

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
is that adjusted for inflation?

No, but inflation doesn't account for much of that. On average, costs of going to games rises 3% annually regardless of other economic data. The TV deals typically don't pay a flat amount every year either, but rise over the course of the contracts. Inflation may have had more of an effect on concession and merchandise sales, but the main drivers of that 10% growth aren't related to inflation, outside of the continuing pent up demand and rebound from the lockdown years.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
There is a tiny bit of a difference to me, that why I usually timed it to watch the end live and I would have not done it if my team was playing the cup final for example, there is something irrational to the live (for one the neighbour's sound, car honking in the street when there are a goals, would have been spoilers).

Irrational sure, but caring about bunch of unknown adult putting puck in the net for no reason is not to be rational.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
In a season where the league saw its lowest SCF ratings, season revenue grew by more than 10% over last season. The two aren't tied together that closely.
Lowest SCF rating. But got highest overall ratings for the 4 rounds.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
The fun part is there are so many people into this game who have a pathological need for many OTHERS to like it as well before they can feel validated in their choice of sports. This sort of personality has always been a mystery to me.

I LIKE being a fan of the least popular pro sports league in the country. I don't want more people to watch it. Things are just fine like this. I don't want to compete with a zillon assholes for tickets and see every other guy on the street wearing a hockey jersey. I like being in a niche. Embrace it.

Reactions: torontoblood

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
It's just another example. The Coyotes, the Blackhawks, the "game management".... The NHL is really not in a great place.
The NHL is a fine place that needs improvement. You can always pick trouble spots in every league. The Oakland A's are a joke, until they aren't. The Charlotte Bobcats suck until MJ cashes in for $2.7B. :sarcasm:

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
The NHL is a fine place that needs improvement. You can always pick trouble spots in every league. The Oakland A's are a joke, until they aren't. The Charlotte Bobcats suck until MJ cashes in for $2.7B. :sarcasm:
The A's are also being relocated. The Coyotes continue to bleed money in the desert when everyone and their ancestors could tell you they're a failure in every single regard.

No sport is perfect but the NHL product of today is filled with tripe.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
The A's are also being relocated. The Coyotes continue to bleed money in the desert when everyone and their ancestors could tell you they're a failure in every single regard.

No sport is perfect but the NHL product of today is filled with tripe.
Your opinion. Lots of areas to get better in, but it isn't a catastrophe.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
I mean, the list of things great about hockey basically begins and ends with the playoffs and even then these were some of the most forgettable playoffs in recent memory.
If you don't like teams from the south, I can see where you are coming from. Lots of bourgeoisie Canadian hockey fans feel the same as you. And if you are a Flames fan, it is even worse based on where your team is...or Winnipeg, or Vancouver. Exodus of players that don't want to play in Canada will eventually erode the game if it continues at this pace.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
If you don't like teams from the south, I can see where you are coming from. Lots of bourgeoisie Canadian hockey fans feel the same as you.
I don't care if teams from the south win. They have benefits that Canadian teams don't, congrats to them for being able to use them.

It wasn't the teams involved it was the quality (or lack thereof) of the play. After the first round there were maybe two series you could deem competitive. I tried watching a couple of the SCF games and the difference in reffing between game 3 and game 4 was utterly staggering. Usually the SCF is the best series of them all or at least close... I had to look at the calendar to make sure this wasn't some February afternoon games because the quality was boring.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad