Confirmed with Link: Cassidy to VGK - per Kevin Weekes

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Not gonna lie, Sweeney probably would get another shot. At worst he'd be picked up as an AGM with someone he's got connections with.

Neely on the other hand has burned all his goodwill in this town and is shit out of luck if he loses this gravy train.

yep….may take Sweeney a year or so but he’d get back to some team office. As you say AGM or Player Personnel, etc…

Neely? Not gonna happen.

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
Kevin Weekes - who is in Denver covering the Cup Final - says Bruce Cassidy is headed to Vegas.

Good landing spot for Bruce - Vegas is a veteran team in win-now mode that underachieved a bit last year. If they get the right mix and buy into his system, they'll be a Cup contender in the West (although Colorado looks to be a tough out for the near future).

That's much faster than it would take Sweeney and Neely to get a new gig in the NHL. Heck, I honestly don't think any other team would hire Neely unless they wanted someone up on the 9th floor who would act like they need to be institutionalized after every goal scored.

• Haha
Reactions: Gordoff

Mr Cartmenez

May 15, 2009
Mannheim
Happy to see Bruce landing on his feet. Also must have been a good offer when he immediately jumped at it and not sitting out the year collecting the B's money.

Now Vegas got more interesting for next year. Will probably root for them now to some degree.

Reactions: Dr Hook

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Jack Eichel must be ecstatic getting a guy he can chat up the city of Boston with

I am glad we can have closure and it was Cassidy not Sweeney who is responsible for second most regular season points and 8 playoff round wins since 2016-17

Thank you for your service

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
I would agree on Sweeney, but then I remembered that Chiarelli got another GM gig after he was canned.
Yea that was a surprise at the time, but if u look back on it Chia built a Stanley Cup team, something Sweeney hasn't been able to do despite having many of the key pieces already in place for him. He's kind of been in a self destruct mode more so than adding the final key pieces, but your right someone may take a shot at him. If so I hope their in the east.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Congratulations and good luck to him.

Think this improves the odds Eichel comes home? :laugh:
Why ? I would think they will get along great with the area ties. I’m Cassidy I keep my house in Winchester and retire here where he’s a hockey God. Get a place in Vegas as well but he can afford both

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
Yea that was a surprise at the time, but if u look back on it Chia built a Stanley Cup team, something Sweeney hasn't been able to do despite having many of the key pieces already in place for him. He's kind of been in a self destruct mode more so than adding the final key pieces, but your right someone may take a shot at him. If so I hope their in the east.
The funny thing about that was that there were several of us that went to the Edmonton board and warned them about what they were in for and that things would come crumbling down at the end. They thought it was just sour grapes. Little did they know that we were just trying to warn them.

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I don’t think Neely is the type to go anywhere else. Doesn’t he have other things or interests he runs?

Reactions: TCB and DKH

bruins19

Aug 11, 2005

He was not unemployed long. Undoubtedly, more money, less BS from above in the organization. They spent a half billion dollars just to get into the league. To make that work, they likely give him the players he needs to win.

Last edited:

Patdud

Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire
Might be in minority but I dont think this is a good fit for Bruce, weak locker room and no depth. How long until Eichel, Lehner et. al get sick of being called out? (they dont keep things in the locker room like the bruins). Good luck Butch, Ill be rooting for you. prove me wrong!

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Might be in minority but I dont think this is a good fit for Bruce, weak locker room and no depth. How long until Eichel, Lehner et. al get sick of being called out? (they dont keep things in the locker room like the bruins). Good luck Butch, Ill be rooting for you. prove me wrong!
He doesn’t call out the top of the lineup

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

Agreed.

Locker room that lacks the strong leader, and a team that is shallow on D and question marks in net will expose his lack of a defensive system.

Reactions: Alicat

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Just as predicted, if Bruce were let go he’ be employed again in short order. Good coaches don’t sit around long when teams reach out to strengthen their management.

Our loss is Vegas‘ gain.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad