Confirmed with Link: Cassidy to VGK - per Kevin Weekes

BruinsNetwork

Jan 8, 2021
I swear the Boston Media has spent more time pining over the loss of Cassidy then talking about potential candidates to replace him.
It’s extremely bizarre as well, that in general, the media is completely ignoring the fact that the guy breaking all of this news in the NHL, Kevin Weekes, said in plain English that he’s spoken with “enough” people in Boston that have told him the players were “just kind of over” Cassidy and his message.

Ryan Whitney, who clearly isn’t biased either as he spent most of the latest episode I’m about to reference bashing Sweeney, also said with authority that he knows that players “hated” playing for Cassidy.

I’m not saying it’s all on him because it’s not, but to sit around and continuously make it seem like there was absolutely zero grounds for his dismissal is just dishonest.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
I swear the Boston Media has spent more time pining over the loss of Cassidy then talking about potential candidates to replace him.
I'm not defending the media here... but with the way people disregard what they say, while would anyone care who the media think are potential candidates?

"It's just xxxx, so that means whatever they say won't happen."

"yyyyyy has no connections, that can't be true."

If Bruins are tight lipped about it, all they offer is speculation, and it's a damned if they do, damned if they don't situation right now.

These threads offer more insight and options that I would respect over many "published" articles by Boston media at this point.

Patdud

Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire
I'm not defending the media here... but with the way people disregard what they say, while would anyone care who the media think are potential candidates?

"It's just xxxx, so that means whatever they say won't happen."

"yyyyyy has no connections, that can't be true."

If Bruins are tight lipped about it, all they offer is speculation, and it's a damned if they do, damned if they don't situation right now.

These threads offer more insight and options that I would respect over many "published" articles by Boston media at this point.
Their job is to cover the local sports team, Not the past coach of the local sports team who is now on the other side of the country. Especially if that coach spend 6 years here and didn't win anything. I mean Claude won a cup and didn't get the red carpet treatment.

if they want to run stories about Belichick for a 10 year period after he eventually leaves so be it. but Cassidy? its sour grapes and silly.

bu who would hire Neely or Sweeney that fast, or at any time ?
Checks username to see if you have skin in the game ;) sarcasm of course

Reactions: pearljamvs5

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
i don't think Cassidy is a good coach, bu who would hire Neely or Sweeney that fast, or at any time ?
I don’t think any team would hire Neely. He’s a mediocre hockey mind and apparently has a huge ego. If he never played for the Bruins he would never have gotten his current gig.

Sweeney would likely get an AGM job but I doubt it would happen as quickly as Bruce getting snatched up. Heck, if Chiarelli was able to get a GM gig after getting canned it’s possible Sweeney would, too.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I don’t think any team would hire Neely. He’s a mediocre hockey mind and apparently has a huge ego. If he never played for the Bruins he would never have gotten his current gig.

Sweeney would likely get an AGM job but I doubt it would happen as quickly as Bruce getting snatched up. Heck, if Chiarelli was able to get a GM gig after getting canned it’s possible Sweeney would, too.

In a league where coaches and executives are recycled like soda cans, I don't think there is any doubt that Sweeney would be a candidate for future GM jobs with other teams.

Ron Francis in his 4 years at the helm in Carolina didn't make the playoffs a single time. Yet was basically hand-picked by Seattle to lead their expansion franchise. Sweeney's track record seems a heck of a lot better than Ronny Franchise.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Their job is to cover the local sports team, Not the past coach of the local sports team who is now on the other side of the country. Especially if that coach spend 6 years here and didn't win anything. I mean Claude won a cup and didn't get the red carpet treatment.

if they want to run stories about Belichick for a 10 year period after he eventually leaves so be it. but Cassidy? its sour grapes and silly.

Checks username to see if you have skin in the game ;) sarcasm of course

It's summer and there is not much to talk about with the Bruins, so it has legs. As soon as they hire someone, or when Bergeron makes a decision, they will move on. And, more important, I think it has less to do with Cassidy and more about the fact that Don Sweeney still has a job because sacking Bruce, whatever merits it might have had, was rightly seen as a poor attempt at deflecting blame from where it mostly belongs.

Clode didn't get this because Sweeney was new in the job, and there was no real pattern of mediocrity established. Sweeney also got the benefit of being new in that it was perceived as him remaking the franchise in the image he wanted. I would guess that if it had been five years into Sweeney's tenure it would have looked different.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
It's summer and there is not much to talk about with the Bruins, so it has legs. As soon as they hire someone, or when Bergeron makes a decision, they will move on. And, more important, I think it has less to do with Cassidy and more about the fact that Don Sweeney still has a job because sacking Bruce, whatever merits it might have had, was rightly seen as a poor attempt at deflecting blame from where it mostly belongs.

Clode didn't get this because Sweeney was new in the job, and there was no real pattern of mediocrity established. Sweeney also got the benefit of being new in that it was perceived as him remaking the franchise in the image he wanted. I would guess that if it had been five years into Sweeney's tenure it would have looked different.
What pattern of mediocrity has been established now?

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
What pattern of mediocrity has been established now?

With Sweeney? I'm not going to go through it all, as it's been done to death. It's great if you think Sweeney has been anything more than mediocre, but you and I will part ways on that one. He hasn't been a complete trainwreck, but he has not been great at his job either. But, to each his own. I hope you are happy when he gets his five year contract extension and we get another half decade of this. On the bright side, he's used up his free passes by blaming the coaches. I don't think he gets a third guy to blame.

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
Sweeney's wizardry with the cap earlier in his career - especially in getting Pasta, Bergeron & Marchand signed to very team-friendly deals - has always been his calling card. He would not be unemployed long (although he likely would get hired as an AGM somewhere).

Chiarelli had this team in cap jail when Sweeney took over, leading in part to the Lucic & Hamilton moves.

Julien was also fired midseason (and in the middle of the Patriots' Super Bowl parade). Lots of other stuff going on and there was Bruins news. And the team was clearly faltering and looking to miss the playoffs for a third straight year.

That's a lot different than a mid-June firing at a time when there's nothing else going on in hockey other than for the teams still in the playoffs, of a popular and relatively successful coach coming off a 107-point season (and a seven-game playoff loss to one of the league's top teams) where he had what just about everyone sees as a roster full of holes.

Reactions: Dr Hook

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad