Confirmed with Link: Casey Mittelstadt traded to COL for D Bo Byram. Straight up.

Spirits

Avalanche and Vikings
Jul 12, 2014
Or he's a young Dman that hasn't finished developing.
He certainly hasn't developed as one would have hoped so far. He still looking good in Buffalo? Haven't caught many of their games since the trade.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
What does it say about this front office when they are fortunate enough to have a drafted player pan out and hit potential, allow for solid depth at one of the most important spots on the ice (if not any true #1 guys), just to trade that guy because he has a raise coming? These are the good things you should hope to happen...not a problem that needs to be "solved". We all see the lengths that other clubs go to toe the cap ceiling. Paying Mitts wasn't going to even sniff the issues those teams contend with.

So now instead of paying what some people think is a relatively high % of cap on Cs (relatively), there is going to be the highest cap % in the league for the D-corps. Bringing everyone back adds up to 35 mil. No other team hits 31 mil next season. This is a D-corps with a true #1 guy that hasn't quite hit potential, two more guys we're waiting to hit potential and be worth close to their cap hit (Sammy, Power), and two more guys who will need to be paid more within two years (Byram, Joker), maybe three depending on Johnson (or get traded like Mitts).

KA is going to pay an awful lot for players that still need to make their game match their cap hit, while trading away a guy that actually just met that threshold at a more important roster spot that is now fairly weak, without another big move (that we all assume isn't happening). This is getting publicity as a "hockey trade", but it was done with money in mind, badly weakens the center position, and heavily skews cap % towards the D-corps by adding a player we already had enough of - inexperienced offensive D-man.

That's the end of my soapbox rants about this trade. If there isn't a big trade for a very good center over the summer, this team is not going to contend in the playoffs...even if a miracle hire for a new coaching staff happens. I won't be back unless that happens.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
What does it say about this front office when they are fortunate enough to have a drafted player pan out and hit potential, allow for solid depth at one of the most important spots on the ice (if not any true #1 guys), just to trade that guy because he has a raise coming? These are the good things you should hope to happen...not a problem that needs to be "solved". We all see the lengths that other clubs go to toe the cap ceiling. Paying Mitts wasn't going to even sniff the issues those teams contend with.

So now instead of paying what some people think is a relatively high % of cap on Cs (relatively), there is going to be the highest cap % in the league for the D-corps. Bringing everyone back adds up to 35 mil. No other team hits 31 mil next season. This is a D-corps with a true #1 guy that hasn't quite hit potential, two more guys we're waiting to hit potential and be worth close to their cap hit (Sammy, Power), and two more guys who will need to be paid more within two years (Byram, Joker), maybe three depending on Johnson (or get traded like Mitts).

KA is going to pay an awful lot for players that still need to make their game match their cap hit, while trading away a guy that actually just met that threshold at a more important roster spot that is now fairly weak, without another big move (that we all assume isn't happening). This is getting publicity as a "hockey trade", but it was done with money in mind, badly weakens the center position, and heavily skews cap % towards the D-corps by adding a player we already had enough of - inexperienced offensive D-man.

That's the end of my soapbox rants about this trade. If there isn't a big trade for a very good center over the summer, this team is not going to contend in the playoffs...even if a miracle hire for a new coaching staff happens. I won't be back unless that happens.
Bruh Mitts isn't the first promising player to be traded for another promising player or haul....Debrincat scored 40 goals twice and was traded TWICE recently. We already have a guy that we drafted score 30/30 in Cozens and a Thompson who we traded to get put up 40/40 seasons that have been better than anything Mitts has ever done and they were already signed long term. Face it we were a lot stronger at forward coming in and next year we'll probably be graduating two more forwards onto the team especially Savoie.....all we need is a coach that can get Cozens and Thompson to play like they have already done before heck they could play a bit worse and we would be perfectly fine.

Also both of these guys are much more effective on special teams especially the PK so long term they were no brainers to keep for anyone sane enough to remember beyond this season.

Tijuana Donkey Show

Mar 14, 2023
Bruh Mitts isn't the first promising player to be traded for another promising player or haul....Debrincat scored 40 goals twice and was traded TWICE recently. We already have a guy that we drafted score 30/30 in Cozens and a Thompson who we traded to get put up 40/40 seasons that have been better than anything Mitts has ever done and they were already signed long term. Face it we were a lot stronger at forward coming in and next year we'll probably be graduating two more forwards onto the team especially Savoie.....all we need is a coach that can get Cozens and Thompson to play like they have already done before heck they could play a bit worse and we would be perfectly fine.

Also both of these guys are much more effective on special teams especially the PK so long term they were no brainers to keep for anyone sane enough to remember beyond this season.

bruh....Mitts has been the best center on the Sabres since last years All Star Break.

We won't be better at forward next year for the same reason that Benson (while a good player) wasn't an impact player this year. He just happens to be better than the other guys who aren't good enough.

Guys like Cozens, Savoie, Kulich, and Benson would be better served in playing in the NHL today and their development tomorrow if they were on a team with real life NHL level talent where they could fill in as a role player not as "the player". I am so sick of this regimes rigging the deck for guys like Dylan Cozens to "eventually" be better than some player tomorrow when guys like Mitts are the better player today. It doesn't serve their development like they think it does.

At some point we have to stop chasing being the youngest team in the league and start having players on the roster that are the better NHL players today.

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
bruh....Mitts has been the best center on the Sabres since last years All Star Break.

We won't be better at forward next year for the same reason that Benson (while a good player) wasn't an impact player this year. He just happens to be better than the other guys who aren't good enough.

Guys like Cozens, Savoie, Kulich, and Benson would be better served in playing in the NHL today and their development tomorrow if they were on a team with real life NHL level talent where they could fill in as a role player not as "the player". I am so sick of this regimes rigging the deck for guys like Dylan Cozens to "eventually" be better than some player tomorrow when guys like Mitts are the better player today. It doesn't serve their development like they think it does.

At some point we have to stop chasing being the youngest team in the league and start having players on the roster that are the better NHL players today.
Very well said on the last two paragraphs.

We throw all of the young guys together and hope they pan out.

Successful teams strongly insulate their young players behind a core of established talent.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Great article about Casey playing well for the Avs.

His former coach isn’t surprised at Mittelstadt’s postseason impact with the Avs.

“First things that come to mind are his competitiveness and leadership ability. He has immense inner drive and, the higher the stakes, the greater the edge for him,” former Sabres head coach Don Granato said via text message on Thursday. “He’s so comfortable in high-compete, high-stakes situations. Elite in category (of) self-expectation, and because I could push him hard and count on him to respond competitively, the right way.

“I suspect these are key attributes as to why he persevered through early career challenges, and these are definitely the qualities that helped turn the Sabres around when we traded (Jack) Eichel, (Sam) Reinhart, (Taylor) Hall, (Eric) Staal. … He was ready to step up in the pressure, and he did.”

There had been some speculation involving him ahead of his March 6 trade, but still, it surprised him.

“I knew there was a possibility, I guess. I had seen my name floated around,” Mittelstadt said. “You know, I don’t think I’m naive, I could kind of see where guys slotted in on the Sabres roster and what the deal was there.

“I thought there was a possibility,” he added. “Did I think it would actually happen? Probably not, to be honest. But it happened, and now I’m here. It’s been crazy, but I’m happy to be here. It’s been awesome.”

When Mittelstadt was drafted, No. 8 in 2017, the idea was that he would be part of the next generation of the rebuilt Sabres. Part of the long-term solution.

“For sure, as long as I was there, I wanted to be part of the solution,” Mittelstadt said. “You play in one spot for so long, it starts to feel like home. A lot of teammates there whom I’m really close with and I’ll be friends with my whole life. Of course you want to figure it out and do something special.

“But on the flip side of it, the timing for me I think was perfect,” added the native of Eden Prairie, Minn. “I started to find my game. Yeah, it just felt like it was time, it worked out, and here we are.”

“The Sabres weren’t going to move Mittelstadt for picks or for an older player, and from our standpoint, we know how good Bo is, how good of a person he is, and if it wasn’t for (Devon) Toews and Makar, he would be a top-pairing guy, and would be on a lot of teams,” MacFarland told me on March 9. “His time here was nothing but incredible. But at the end of this deal, he’s going to want to spread his wings a little bit I think, and deservedly so.

“But we weren’t going to move Bo for a 30-year-old center on an expiring deal, or a 30-year-old defenseman. It had to be a very specific situation,” added the Avs GM. “It had to be for a young, controllable center.”

• Love
Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Great article about Casey playing well for the Avs.

I still think the trade was fair value wise. It's more so the type of player Byram is that left me puzzled. If either Byram or Power can work well with Dahlin, then this trade should be fine so long as the player not playing with Dahlin can be a driver on the second pair.

That being said, I would've liked a sure thing coming back for Mitts. It just feels like we have more question marks after this trade, and that's not a great thing for a team trying to get over the hump.

Reactions: Fjordy and Kevbeau

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I still think the trade was fair value wise. It's more so the type of player Byram is that left me puzzled. If either Byram or Power can work well with Dahlin, then this trade should be fine so long as the player not playing with Dahlin can be a driver on the second pair.

That being said, I would've liked a sure thing coming back for Mitts. It just feels like we have more question marks after this trade, and that's not a great thing for a team trying to get over the hump.

It’s still mostly that they’re looking at the potential for how he played in the finals a couple years ago. That’s a really appealing mismatch to have. Take a look at a couple of teams that are struggling and how hard it is for them to get out of their own zone cleanly: Winnipeg, and to a lesser extent, both Toronto and Boston. Or how the Oilers have struggled at times, but they have the ringer who is a one-man breakout machine in McDavid.

They have three really strong, breakout candidates, both with their mobility or via passing. It should allow them to be able to transition the puck in excellent fashion.

Should. I did say should.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
It’s still mostly that they’re looking at the potential for how he played in the finals a couple years ago. That’s a really appealing mismatch to have. Take a look at a couple of teams that are struggling and how hard it is for them to get out of their own zone cleanly: Winnipeg, and to a lesser extent, both Toronto and Boston. Or how the Oilers have struggled at times, but they have the ringer who is a one-man breakout machine in McDavid.

They have three really strong, breakout candidates, both with their mobility or via passing. It should allow them to be able to transition the puck in excellent fashion.

Plus that's Ruff's game - he loves to have his defenseman breakout and activate. Does anyone remember what a whipping boy Campbell was until Ruff turned him into an All-Star?

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

It strikes me that we're building the blueline kind of like the 15/16 and 16/17 Pens: don't need to play defense if we always have the puck.

Letang/Schultz/Hainsey/Daley/Dumo/Maatta -- none of them were overly physical. Cole was really the only "enforcer" on that blue line.

Reactions: Dingo44

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
This place makes me laugh. Byram is 22… what the f*** did Mittelstadt do by that age ? Checks notes… 2 seasons of 20-25 points and 2 seasons of single digit points… just like people wanting to trade or buy out Power this place has become hilarious
So you you are fine with trading a player who hit his potential on a position were we have to get someone else now to fill the hole ( who by the way is doing great in the playoffs)
for someone who is still in development.
this team needs more experienced players not getting less experienced.
its exactly the reason why the failed this season.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I'm trilled for Middlestadt and not surprised he's found success. I always saw him as more of a winger, so seeing his center game develop was nice to see. That was the one area I thought the Avs took a leap of faith - that he could pull off #2 on the depth charts.

I also am VERY excited about Byram, and frankly a little surprised they got him for Casey, straight up. Maybe because it is so rare you see an actual hockey trade like this, value-for-value.

As far as who won the trade? I never understood that logic, as the values can never line up symmetrically. Did both teams get what they needed? I think Adams got what he wanted, but I would say the Avs got more of what they needed than the Sabres did. It is hard to watch the playoffs, look at other team's D, and think the Sabres back-end is built for this. Not sure Byram addressed that. I have no idea if any of the D personal can play in their own end - and they will have to figure that out. Is Wilford still in charge? Was that zone structure and system all Granato? I would have preferred there was a personnel change there.

Reactions: TheMistyStranger

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
So you you are fine with trading a player who hit his potential on a position were we have to get someone else now to fill the hole ( who by the way is doing great in the playoffs)
for someone who is still in development.
this team needs more experienced players not getting less experienced.
its exactly the reason why the failed this season.

Yes. And it can't be discounted that the Sabres maybe didn't want to pay him what he was asking for on an extension. Three 7m centers? Maybe not as big of a deal if they didn't have the Skinner contract, but that's not KA's fault.

On the surface the value is roughly equal, but there is no way for us plebs to know what is below the surface. And if the Byram acquisition allows them to move a different d-man in a splashy move for a forward, how do you account for that in evaluating the Mitts trade? It's not black and white, win or lose the trade. Impossible to evaluate accurately in a vacuum.

Reactions: Jacob582

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
This place makes me laugh. Byram is 22… what the f*** did Mittelstadt do by that age ? Checks notes… 2 seasons of 20-25 points and 2 seasons of single digit points… just like people wanting to trade or buy out Power this place has become hilarious
And what would you say if Byram hits his potential in 3 years, just to watch him get traded away for a 22 yr old developing C that still needs time to work on his game?
Yes. And it can't be discounted that the Sabres maybe didn't want to pay him what he was asking for on an extension. Three 7m centers? Maybe not as big of a deal if they didn't have the Skinner contract, but that's not KA's fault.

On the surface the value is roughly equal, but there is no way for us plebs to know what is below the surface. And if the Byram acquisition allows them to move a different d-man in a splashy move for a forward, how do you account for that in evaluating the Mitts trade? It's not black and white, win or lose the trade. Impossible to evaluate accurately in a vacuum.
And it can't be discounted that Dahlin, Power, and Byram (if they keep and pay him on his new deal) will cost 25 mil. They already cost over 23 mil right now, so the entire talking point about not paying 3 Cs 21 mil is ground into dust.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $2,330.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: