Confirmed with Link: Casey Mittelstadt traded to COL for D Bo Byram. Straight up.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
Hows his head? Concussion(s) is in the past?
Ya. Hasn't happened for a while and plenty of players have a history of rebounding fine from concussions these days (Crosby/Bergeron/Skinner etc). He hasn't shied away from contact either. I think it was more a concern the past couple of years.

Excited to see what Bo can do when handed more reigns.

MeenOlViks

May 25, 2015
Not happy about this one. At all.

Why draft guys in the first round and then trade them just as they are reaching their prime?
we're getting a #4 overall pick who helped the avs win the cup.
"Also, Byram really helped us to win that cup. I've always said to those who are sulking after Jack Hughes, just be happy that Byram helped us win the cup. And I don't think he was a small piece either, arguably he was the best defenceman in the finals".

Reactions: Dingo44

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
8i9p9e.jpg

KiwiGriff

It’s a Bloody Business Bates!
Dec 29, 2019
Porirua
As an Avs fan I'm glad to see how upset you guys are because I haven't seen Mittlestadt much. Excited to see what he can do.
You’ll love him. He’s shown his character over the last couple of years. Didn’t show the production everyone expected from such a skilled prospect … never gave up and never seemed to have a bad attitude.

Then for the last couple of years he has been showing the most effort of anyone in the team, doesn’t get pushed off the puck, keeps possession, shows some great little dangles through people, points coming on as a result

This one sucks as a Sabres fan. Not because I hate getting Byram, but because I hate losing Mitts.

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
To be fair......Byram does still have legit top 4 ceiling.

It's not just not what we wanted (or frankly needed). He is highly talented.
Top 4 ceiling isn't really anything to write home about though, especially for such a high pick who's still young. I'd say he still has top pair potential, but it's just looking less likely to hit than ever.

There's a chance he pops here and in a year we're all okay with the deal. The odds of that happening are what have everyone a bit freaked (especially because we didn't get like a 2nd too).

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
To be fair......Byram does still have legit top 4 ceiling.

It's not just not what we wanted (or frankly needed). He is highly talented.
Yeah, but Im tired of waiting for players to grow. The blueline needs that steady, top-4 D who is already developed.

I do like Byram's potential. He's shown some really nice flashes, but I feel this sets the team back, and that irks me.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Ya. Hasn't happened for a while and plenty of players have a history of rebounding fine from concussions these days (Crosby/Bergeron/Skinner etc). He hasn't shied away from contact either. I think it was more a concern the past couple of years.

Appreciate your feedback.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
I'm not super excited about this because I really like Casey, but with the number of forward prospects in the system and his contract coming up, it makes sense to trade him for a quality D. Byram hasn't quite lived up to expectations so far, but he's only 22. Righty would have been nice, but they are hard to find. I don't hate it. We won't know how good Byram can be for another 2-3 years.

ho

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Taking advantage of a team's weakness and being even a tiny bit cut-throat in negotiating wouldn't fit the whole organizational "kumbaya we can't do anything" vibe

If I put my thoughts on this I am sure I would upset a bunch of people. I find their lack of ability is not made palatable by their proclamations of their faith and I will leave it there.

At first glance this looks like a loss. Mitts had leverage with possible arbitration due not in small part because Thompson and Cozens have stunk. They didn’t get bigger or tougher or more defensively focused on the blueline. They also aren’t more robust in terms of health, quite the opposite. The guy is a left shot who has not done well on his offhand side. Perhaps they do want to push Dahlin or Power to the right side permanently but this is more river hockey IMO. And river hockey does not win.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
This trade doesn’t make sense from the Sabres pov. I hope there are other moves coming that would make it make sense.
it's cheaper next year and the GM isn't good at his job.

It makes every bit of sense for how they operate. It's what people have been complaining about for three years while you argued it wasn't true.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
As an Avs fan I'm glad to see how upset you guys are because I haven't seen Mittlestadt much. Excited to see what he can do.

I think you're selling Byram a bit short. He's had a tough year, but he's been forced to play his offside (probably for this trade) and stuck on the 3rd pair. Bo is a very emotional/cocky guy and thrives under pressure and in the spotlight. There's still been glimpses of that this year, like when we've been on national television.

Also, his injury history is a bit overrated. It's delayed his development but I don't think it's hampered it too much. I think you'll see his value if/when Buffalo returns to the POs

I'm a fan of his and wish him the best. If both players hit their ceilings you guys win this trade.
You're gonna love him. He's developed into everything you want come playoff time. Smart, plays a good enough 200 foot game, has really flourished in terms of his board play and puck possession in the o-zone, can gel pretty easily with a variety of players. Not the fastest or strongest guy, and those shortcomings will be annoying here and there, but he generally knows where to be/how to get to high-danger/high traffic areas and is an effective distributor and a decent finisher. Has pretty good hands, too. Biggest negative over the past two years is he'll almost always refuse to shoot from distance on the powerplay, even when a lane is wide open and shooting is the best option.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

But he’s not going have “more reigns” as you put it. Not with Dahlin and Power here

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad