Player Discussion Casey Mittelstadt (2017, 8th) - Signed, #37 - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
What does ROR and his draft position have to do with anything?
You said if Casey can put up 50/60 points for where he was drafted he would be a steal. I made the point that we had exactly that at 2C and he was drafted in the 2nd round.

So I was making the point if people weren't happy with ROR being a 50/60 point 2C as a 2nd round draft pick why would Casey as a first round pick be considered a steal?

Man of Principles

The Krueger Effect
Nov 30, 2011
I don't wanna amp myself up too much but I think he could light the world on fire if he wanted to. 60 points at least.

Dahlin 2 Eichel

Sep 21, 2013
Roaming The Sewers
Casey is a star stuck in a shadow. Once we got Dahlin he was forgotten. Mitts is easily going to be a favourite. I can’t wait for him.

Casey and Dahlin competing for rookie of the year. That would be amazing, it’s not even a long shot either.

Reactions: VaporTrail

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
You said if Casey can put up 50/60 points for where he was drafted he would be a steal. I made the point that we had exactly that at 2C and he was drafted in the 2nd round.

So I was making the point if people weren't happy with ROR being a 50/60 point 2C as a 2nd round draft pick why would Casey as a first round pick be considered a steal?
It will come down to team success. Which is why I brought up even strength scoring. If the team is better and he is a major part of it people will be happy, obviously. If Mitts is a $7.5m 60 point 2C leader on a last place team then people will be unhappy.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
I just hope he plays wing in the top-6 instead of 3C if they decide to give Reinhart a try again

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Did somebody with the team come out and say Casey is going to slot as the team's 2C next year? Seems like a lot of debate centered on that premise, even judging the GM as though it's foreordained.

He's going into his first NHL training camp. He didn't dominate the NCAA and he got a callup because that's standard practice for NCAA kids negotiating to burn a year. Where he slots depends on what he proves in camp.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Did somebody with the team come out and say Casey is going to slot as the team's 2C next year? Seems like a lot of debate centered on that premise, even judging the GM as though it's foreordained.

He's going into his first NHL training camp. He didn't dominate the NCAA and he got a callup because that's standard practice for NCAA kids negotiating to burn a year. Where he slots depends on what he proves in camp.
I've said multiple times I would play him at wing to start out. I'de pair him with Reinhart.

Sheary - Eichel - XXXX
Mittelstadt - Reinhart - XXXX

XXXX = Rodrigues and Okposo or rookies Nylander, Olofsson, Baptiste.

Reactions: Graves

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

All I can recall hearing is our GM say he's excited about our center group. Then he mentions Jack, Sam and Mitts. I haven't seen anything specific about Mitts' line number.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
All I can recall hearing is our GM say he's excited about our center group. Then he mentions Jack, Sam and Mitts. I haven't seen anything specific about Mitts' line number.
I wonder if we see something like this.

Sheary - Eichel - Rodrigues
Okposo - Reinhart - Baptiste
Berglund - Mittelstadt - Sobotka
Girgensons - Larsson - Pominville

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington

I like it but would replace Pominville with Bailey.
This team is going to be much faster.
Pomer can be the 13th man.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

Your point makes no sense since we didn't draft ROR. He was an established player with 6 years in NHL when we acquired him in a trade. What we acquire him for, how he played here and what we paid him would be the elements involved in evaluating his time as a Sabre. Not his draft spot.

Last edited:
Reactions: jc17

jc17

Jun 14, 2013

ROR was also a steal., but like Josh said I'm not sure how that's relevant. One is 19, the other is 27 which is why some people would be more excited about Mittelstadt if he put up those numbers. In theory we would see many more seasons of him than O'reilly and he would increase production as he got older.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn

We literally will have no idea who the other 3 centers are after Eichel until maybe the last week of camp, which seems insane.

Has there ever been a team whose overall lineup is this much of a question mark going into preseason...ever? Besides Eichel as #1 C, we can't identify one single position with even 50% certainty.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn

He didn't say anything about Mitts playing center his first season. Everyone agrees he's a center, but who knows how Housley will want to break him into the league. I had always assumed he'd start at center but I'm not sure how certain that is.

Club

Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
He was pulling off some unreal moves in development camp this year. Quick in tight spaces, made things happen on the ice. He's looked quite a bit stronger from highlights I've seen. I wouldn't be against slotting him with Reinhart. Sam's hockey IQ is great. I think he would learn well off a player of his caliber.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
He didn't say anything about Mitts playing center his first season. Everyone agrees he's a center, but who knows how Housley will want to break him into the league. I had always assumed he'd start at center but I'm not sure how certain that is.

Not sure why you think I'm saying its certain he plays center.

EDIT: There are more than a few ways our center situation could play out. I have no idea how it will other than Jack as our top offensive center.

Last edited:

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005

Nahh, especially no to Baptiste gifting all those minutes. You have to think Okposo is going to come back in better shape this time around too. I'd expect as a start, swapping Mittelstadt and Reinhart fluidly:

Sheary-Eichel-Rodrigues
Mittelstadt-Reinhart-Pominville
Sobotka-Berglund-Okposo
Girgensons/Wilson-Larsson/Rookie-Rookie

With rookies earning their way up this line-up throughout the season on merit. There's 3-4 veterans in the 2nd/3rd line that can easily be overcome, but I don't expect them to day 1.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Girgensons - Eichel - Okposo
Sheary - Berglund - Reinhart
Mittelstadt - Larsson - Sobotka
Baptiste - Rodrigues - Pominville

This is totally a plausible thing we could see going into game 1, just for kicks. Which is to say, we could see something less than 12! permutations, but more than 12!/2.

Debating lines in the offseason is just the definition of irrelevant.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Nahh, especially no to Baptiste gifting all those minutes. You have to think Okposo is going to come back in better shape this time around too. I'd expect as a start, swapping Mittelstadt and Reinhart fluidly:

Sheary-Eichel-Rodrigues
Mittelstadt-Reinhart-Pominville
Sobotka-Berglund-Okposo

Girgensons/Wilson-Larsson/Rookie-Rookie

With rookies earning their way up this line-up throughout the season on merit. There's 3-4 veterans in the 2nd/3rd line that can easily be overcome, but I don't expect them to day 1.

Why is Pominville being gifted top 6 minutes? I'd rather see literally ANYONE play on that line with Mitts-Reinhart

Good lord, that 3rd line might be the slowest line ever assembled.

Reactions: BackGroundMusic

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I think Berglund at 2LW makes the most sense. Whether that's with Reinhart at center, and Mitts at 3C.... or with Mitts at center, Reinhart at 1 OR 2 RW.

Sheary-Eichel-Okposo/Reinhart
Berglund-Mitts-Okposo/Reinhart
OR

Sheary-Eichel-Okposo/XXXX
Berglund-Reinhart-Okposo/XXXX
XXXX
-Mitts-XXXX

I feel like one of these 2 frameworks is where we should start....

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I think Berglund at 2LW makes the most sense. Whether that's with Reinhart at center, and Mitts at 3C.... or with Mitts at center, Reinhart at 1 OR 2 RW.

Sheary-Eichel-Okposo/Reinhart
Berglund-Mitts-Okposo/Reinhart
OR

Sheary-Eichel-Okposo/XXXX
Berglund-Reinhart-Okposo/XXXX
XXXX
-Mitts-XXXX

I feel like one of these 2 frameworks is where we should start....

Sheary-Eichel & Berglund-Mitts wouldn't be a bad choice for the forward pairs concept to start the season.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
What makes this lineup so hard to project is that so many guys could be at wing or at center. Reinhart, Mittlestadt, Berglund, Sobotka, Rodrigues, and Girgensons.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Berglund is not much of a passer/creative player. He's exactly who I wouldn't pair with a player like Mittelstadt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad