Status
Not open for further replies.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Yea, don’t do that with Borgen this year

They didn't, they let a player two years older and far more physically mature marinate for almost the entire season in Rochester, honing his craft. The situations are not comparable.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
They didn't, they let a player two years older and far more physically mature marinate for almost the entire season in Rochester, honing his craft. The situations are not comparable.

The response was regarding projecting Borgen in to next year’s lineup based on a couple games at the end of the year

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
GettyImages-1051056012-1024x716.jpg

Forward look: What's a reasonable expectation for Casey...

By John Vogl

If Casey Mittelstadt grows up to be Olli Jokinen, the Sabres would be just fine with that. Jokinen played in four Olympics, won three medals, skated in 1,231 NHL games and was a captain and All-Star. During his prime, the Finnish center averaged 34 goals and 72 points per season.

Buffalo will need a few things for that to happen with Mittelstadt: the right coach, veteran leaders, commitment from the player and – the big one – patience.

“It takes time,” Jokinen said by phone Wednesday. “Some kids are ready to do that when they’re 18, 19. Some kids, it takes 22, 23, 24 years old before you can be an impact player. It’s not easy.

“It’s not easy.”

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
GettyImages-1051056012-1024x716.jpg

Forward look: What's a reasonable expectation for Casey...

By John Vogl

If Casey Mittelstadt grows up to be Olli Jokinen, the Sabres would be just fine with that. Jokinen played in four Olympics, won three medals, skated in 1,231 NHL games and was a captain and All-Star. During his prime, the Finnish center averaged 34 goals and 72 points per season.

Buffalo will need a few things for that to happen with Mittelstadt: the right coach, veteran leaders, commitment from the player and – the big one – patience.

“It takes time,” Jokinen said by phone Wednesday. “Some kids are ready to do that when they’re 18, 19. Some kids, it takes 22, 23, 24 years old before you can be an impact player. It’s not easy.

“It’s not easy.”

"Even taking the Patrik Berglund debacle into consideration, those centers show it was unrealistic for the Sabres to believe Mittelstadt would step right in and excel. It could be foolish to expect much more from him next season."

What a dumb statement... 4 players prove that it was unrealistic to expect Mittelstadt to perform like say the guy taken a few picks before him (Pettersson)?

Even Jokinen recognizes that some kids are ready at 18-19. Vogl, once again carrying Botts dirty water... what seems to be unrealistic, is expecting Jason Botterill to have good judgement.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
"Even taking the Patrik Berglund debacle into consideration, those centers show it was unrealistic for the Sabres to believe Mittelstadt would step right in and excel. It could be foolish to expect much more from him next season."

What a dumb statement... 4 players prove that it was unrealistic to expect Mittelstadt to perform like say the guy taken a few picks before him (Pettersson)?

Even Jokinen recognizes that some kids are ready at 18-19. Vogl, once again carrying Botts dirty water... what seems to be unrealistic, is expecting Jason Botterill to have good judgement.
Clearly the person who did this article isn't the real Jon Vogl. The real Vogl demanded that we get rid of ROR and would in no way have been insane enough to think that should've been done unless he was certain someone like Casey could step up and fill the role. And yes it's amusing that he's already running damage control for Botts in anticipation of next season being another complete and total failure.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Clearly the person who did this article isn't the real Jon Vogl. The real Vogl demanded that we get rid of ROR and would in no way have been insane enough to think that should've been done unless he was certain someone like Casey could step up and fill the role. And yes it's amusing that he's already running damage control for Botts in anticipation of next season being another complete and total failure.

Vogl going full sycophant was one of the surprise developments in Buffalo Media the last few years... lol

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
Vogl going full sycophant was one of the surprise developments in Buffalo Media the last few years... lol

Being the spokesperson for a powerful person pays very well nowadays. TBQH I don't blame him for getting that money.

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
How to be a Buffalo journalist:

Sabres trade O'Reilly: "O'Reilly was bad. He was bad. You don't understand and you never will. You imbecile. You f***ing moron."

Sabres trade Reinhart: "Reinhart was bad. He was bad. You don't understand and you never will. You imbecile. You f***ing moron."

Sabres trade Eichel: "Eichel was bad. He was bad. You don't understand and you never will. You imbecile. You f***ing moron."

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
12 goals as a chubby faced rookie isn't terrible at all. Kid should have been playing the wing, he needs to put in a lot of time in the gym and improve his diet if that's an issue which I bet it is. When you see him in shorts and a t-shirt he isn't that chubby, he has that 'skinny fat' thing.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
I don't believe Botts constructed the off season roster to slot Mitts in as the full time 2C. I would guess he was cautiously optimistic about his development, like a lot of people around here were in September.

With that, Sobodka sucked, Berglund sucked then left. I guess you could blame Botts for not foreseeing that or for trusting Housley to not f*** it all up.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
I don't believe Botts constructed the off season roster to slot Mitts in as the full time 2C. I would guess he was cautiously optimistic about his development, like a lot of people around here were in September.

With that, Sobodka sucked, Berglund sucked then left. I guess you could blame Botts for not foreseeing that or for trusting Housley to not **** it all up.
Both Berglund and Sobotka were terrible players before they arrived. I’d say going with a rookie for 2C is slightly less insane than going for a 2C+3C that are clearly not NHL worthy at 30+.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Both Berglund and Sobotka were terrible players before they arrived. I’d say going with a rookie for 2C is slightly less insane than going for a 2C+3C that are clearly not NHL worthy at 30+.
Eh Berglund wasn't terrible but both showed signs of decline. It's a valid point.
The hope was probably that Mitts would grab 2C by the balls but instead he tripped into the full time role.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I think the hope was that Berglund and Mitts would have a 2A/2B setup, with Berg's line absorbing the defensive responsibilities ROR had while Mitts would be able to produce offensively on an easier matchups line. Neither hope worked out.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

With that, Sobodka sucked, Berglund sucked then left. I guess you could blame Botts for not foreseeing that or for trusting Housley to not **** it all up.

His assessment of the roster and Casey’s place in it and having no viable back up plan when his initial misguided personnel moves almost immediately blew up in the team’s face ... it does not lend itself to a picture of trust in the basics of roster construction or talent assessment. I know I’ve been over that elsewhere before and will try my best not to run Botts down in another thread, but it would be nice to see Mitts playing meaningful minutes somewhere this spring to round his game out and continue his development.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
His assessment of the roster and Casey’s place in it and having no viable back up plan when his initial misguided personnel moves almost immediately blew up in the team’s face ... it does not lend itself to a picture of trust in the basics of roster construction or talent assessment. I know I’ve been over that elsewhere before and will try my best not to run Botts down in another thread, but it would be nice to see Mitts playing meaningful minutes somewhere this spring to round his game out and continue his development.
Agree that he should be somewhere where he can be successful. Disagree that Botts didn't have a backup plan but it did indeed all blow up in his face nonetheless.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
What was the backup plan to Berglund/Sobotka?
I mistakenly thought it was going to be Sam. Did we ever find out from Botts what he thought about Sam never playing center after he said multiple times (last offseason) that he was part of the depth there?

As for Mitts, I think the biggest thing to help improve his game is to get stronger. Many times he would try a quick pass or shot and there wasn’t much on them. Gaining strength so he has the zip he needs on those things will go a long way in helping him take another step.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
It would not shock me if a year or two down the line Mitts is at LW. Especially if Skinner leaves. The draft is heavy at center among the top forwards. There are also vet 2Cs possibly available in free agency this year such as Brock Nelson. If the Sabres sign Nelson and draft a center with #7, I can see the possibility of Mitts being on the wing if he does not make huge leaps this upcoming season. I know we shouldn't have expected the .8 ppg he put up in limited games last year but we all damn well expected more then 25 freakin points as the 2C. It is remarkable that Jack put up what he did considering centers outside of him were are lowest producing forwards.

It is a little alarming that even after a full summer, training camp and pre season and then an entire NHL season that Mitts physically has not changed much from when he was fresh out of college and had his 6 game stint in 2018. He still needs to add quite a bit of strength. There should be no reason why he should still have a double chin after an entire year of a pro teams training component.

This is a huge summer for him. Hope he takes it seriously and comes in next training camp in top shape ready to reach the next level. He has a lot of skill but needs a lot of work to have the ability to show it more then once every 8 games.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I mistakenly thought it was going to be Sam. Did we ever find out from Botts what he thought about Sam never playing center after he said multiple times (last offseason) that he was part of the depth there?

As for Mitts, I think the biggest thing to help improve his game is to get stronger. Many times he would try a quick pass or shot and there wasn’t much on them. Gaining strength so he has the zip he needs on those things will go a long way in helping him take another step.

I wonder if some of the lack of better deployments factored into any of his final decision to let Phil go.

And Mitts does need to get stronger. It will help him with his sticklifting tenacity. The kid could really be something dynamite if he returns to that back-pressure with his ability to make plays quickly going the other way.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I wonder if some of the lack of better deployments factored into any of his final decision to let Phil go.

And Mitts does need to get stronger. It will help him with his sticklifting tenacity. The kid could really be something dynamite if he returns to that back-pressure with his ability to make plays quickly going the other way.

I was also thinking about what a grind this season had to be for him.

His last three seasons ...

16-17 -> High School hockey and 24 USHL games
17-18 -> 34gms with Minnesota and 6gms in NHL.
18-19 -> 77gms in the NHL

My hope is he comes back next season stronger and recharged.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia

Thanks man. Wasn't trying to derail.
Obviously strength will help him become more of a possession player where he can make space for himself and linemates. Very hotpotatoey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad